“Very good food and Atmosphere!”
Review of Duke of Germany

Duke of Germany
Ranked #84 of 425 Restaurants in Cape Coral
Cuisines: German, European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Family owned and operated. Susen (owner and chef) has been indulging her guest since 25 years. Since march 2010 we serve German dishes in Cape Coral.
Interlochen, Michigan
“Very good food and Atmosphere!”
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

We had a party of 6 and ordered several entrees and all were very good. Service was excellent, and atmosphere was nice. For hearty and tasty German food, we highly recommend it. They also have a free beer coupon on their website, so that was a pleasant addition.

Visited November 2013

cape coral
“Good Red Cabbage and Spaezle”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Pork hock was tasty and tender. Good Red Cabbage and Spaezle.
Friendly waiter. He honored a recently expired coupon which was very kind.

Cape Coral
“Great German food”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We've eaten there many times, went this weekend with another couple, and again a great experience. It's family operated with a nice homey atmosphere and consistently wonderful German food. Chef Susen's recipes are tops. The service is friendly, the German beer is fresh and cold and the place is spotlessly clean.

LONG ISLAND, NY
“A bit of Germany in Cape Coral”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The Schnitzel was delicious, light and prepared just right. Wish I had time to return for the porkhock. I didn't give it five stars because the family servers were really not interested in the customers, other than serving the food.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Maybe the real chef's day off? Wish it had been the servers too...”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I considered for a few days on return from our vacation in Cape Coral as to what to write about this place. Whether I was being rash on how poor I found this restaurant, and the attitude of the server. I tried to get it out of my system by getting up to date with reviews of a couple of other restaurants in the area which I really liked but it still came back to being totally disappointed with this place.
I've never given one star before, I tend to discount those reviews as I suspect on occasion someone has an axe to grind, or maybe it's the competition writing them!
Then there was the high rating for this place which after our experience left me questioning how?
Maybe it was because it was just after 6pm on a Tuesday night (early Oct) and we were the only ones in (about four tables seated not long after we entered) But let me continue
The only member of staff initially was a youngish blonde lad, seemingly helpful we ordered beers while we read the menu. He recommended the Grillhax, and I thought why not?
Bread was served up and we ordered ghoulash soup, and a potato soup for starters, then grillhax for me and the black forest chicken for my wife.
The soup was served up fairly quickly. I assume it was simmering in a pot in the kitchen, well maybe mine was, as my wifes potato soup couldn't even be described as 'tepid'. In fact it was so cold she asked "I didn't misread the menu and this is a soup served cold?" I tasted it as well. 'Cold' It was also notable both dishes were cold and not pre warmed. The server took it away and I guess blasted in in a microwave for a minute before returning. My ghoulash soup was OK, nothing special.
Sometimes these things happen, it's not the end of the world, we finished the soup, although both were as said, nothing special.
And here's where it got worse. Our mains/ or entrees arrived in reasonable time. Again I noted the plates were cold, but my grillhax (pork hock) was piping hot. However my wifes black forest chicken was lukewarm at best. With both dishes we had ordered mashed potato. Each plate had three 'ice cream scoop' portions 'school dinner style'. Neither side could even be described as warm and actually it tasted very bland. I'd decided I wasn't even going to eat it even if hot. Alerting the server he seemed rather put out at being told the mash and chicken were cold. He disappeared with my wifes plate after I told him I wasn't bothered about my potato ( I didn't want it cold or hot)
On his return he then started to question why mine could be hot and not my wifes? "It's from the same gas! I don't understand how the gas can heat up one dinner and not the other!" He sarcastically announced completely missing the point that I didn't want my potatoes heating up as I didn't like them!
So there you have it. Both my wifes appetiser and main were cold, and some of mine. Throw in a bit of sarcasm for pointing this out and you arrive at one star.
I have my suspicion that a minimal staff were working. In the end we saw our server and another older man who also served after keep appearing from the kitchen. I suspect that the food was in big batches in the kitchen and due to it being quiet, or us early, that food hadn't been heated thoroughly.
If that's not the case and the claim each meal is freshly cooked is made then it's worse as they cooked and then left to chill my wifes meal and served it up on cold crockery in a quiet period
If the bland food had been hot maybe I could have said this place was average, but with the sarcasm? No that gets you my first and only so far, one star. Perhaps it's hard to listen to a adverse comment after relying on the laurels of high tripadvisor reviews.
We visit Cape Coral regularly, as do friends. We won't be back anytime soon, especially with Ford's just a few minutes away.

• Visited October 2013