“Glad we stayed” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Island Hotel & Restaurant

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cedar Key
Island Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 3 Cedar Key B&B and Inns
Arizona
“Glad we stayed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

When we arrived at this hotel I had reserved I was not sure I wanted to stay here because it looked a little run down and the lady (who ended up being the owner) was not very friendly but we didn't see any other place that suited us so stayed. A hired worker was on duty by the time we checked in and she was VERY friendly and the stay was really nice. Loved the wrap around deck.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

Our first night in Cedar Key and we went here on recommendation from a family member. Service was not good. The server forgot to bring out my salad, did not bring out crackers or bread while waiting for our food and did not check back with us after taking our order until we were almost finished with our meal.

I had the crab bisque which was excellent and my husband had Shrimp, tile fish and scallops. His was good but the portions were kind of small for the price. The homemade crackers were EXCELLENT even though we had to ask for these. The bread was good too.

We would go here again...the crab bisque will bring me back again and again!

Room Tip: Clean and comfortable restaurant. Excellent Crab Bisque
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Orlando, Florida, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

Took a trip over from Orlando for an overnight stay. Was greeted by friendly helpful staff. Stayed in room 23. Queen bed and he claw foot tub. No TV or phone was nice. Went on the Island Tour with Tidewater tours. Relaxed in the room till dinner time. Took advice from other reviewers to eat in the bar. Good advice. Friendly locals and fellow guests. Food was great. Had Clams in butter, Low country shrimp grits, and crab bisque. All were excellent. Included breakfast was a choice of scrambled eggs, french toast, or mushroom and onion quiche all with bacon and biscuits.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

First of all, we have stayed in this hotel several times and, overall, we liked it. It is quaint and the food was good. We recommended it often to our friends. I even posted the promotional video from Charley Belcher's One Tank Trips on my Facebook page because we were staying there when it was filmed and we are actually in the video briefly. Anyways, we booked a three night stay for this year's seafood festival. This is a big event for this little town and because all hotels sell out, we booked eight months in advance. We booked via their web site. It is not a sophisticated reservation system. You basically fill out a small form requesting a room and the dates you will be there. They respond via email asking for a credit card number which I sent. Then you hear nothing from them again. No confirmation number, no 'Thanks, we got your info', nothing. Since I wanted to be sure they got everything they needed, I sent a follow up email asking if my reservation was good, and received a reply that everything was good. October comes and I drive over two hours from the Tampa area and go to check in and, you guessed it, they don't have our reservation or any evidence that we ever made one. I kept all the emails and showed them to the girl at the front desk. She was apologetic at first, then got rude. Her story changed several times, one of them being that the owner calls each guest two weeks before the stay to voice confirm the reservation. If she is unable to reach the party, she cancels the reservation. First of all, if this is true, when all of my contact with them has been via email, why wouldn't they email me to confirm? And secondly, if this is their policy, why do they even bother taking credit card numbers? It makes no sense. I assumed that since they had that info that I would be charged for the stay whether I showed up or not. Either way, they get their money. Heck, I would have been willing to pay for the entire stay at the time of booking! When I pointed this out to the front desk clerk, she told us that the owner "likes it to be full" The owners were out of town at the time. (Why you would be out of town on the biggest weekend of the year is beyond me.) All the other hotels on the island have been booked solid for months so I turned around and drove two hours back home, a grown, 43 year old man crying the entire way. When I got home, I sent the owner an email with copies of our email exchanges simply asking her, what happened? Her response was to blame me, saying that the emails didn't come from them even though it clearly shows their email address and the form from their site. All I wanted was for her to take responsibility for her mistake and simply apologize for it. A smart business person would have even offered a free meal or a discount on a future stay or something, considering I am a repeat guest and have spent over $1000 on food and lodging here in the past. I got none of that. In fact, I didn't even get a reply to my 2nd email. What a classless individual. I will never stay here again and I will warn my friends and family against it as well.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
17 Thank Kurt_OBrien
Koudekerk aan den rijn, Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

We enjoyed a great stay in Cedar Key. The staff was very nice. The room (33) was good enough. It was clean, had a nice bathroom. Breakfast was good, friendly waitress.
It is located conveniently on a 5 min walk to the marina.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jvdp11
Davie, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

The Island Hotel & Restaurant on Cedar Key, Florida is a hidden gem. No wonder Jimmy Buffett himself played and hung out here.

Eight words best describe this gem: Friendly, laid-back, gourmet food, an overall delight!

Andy the owner, Deanna front desk manager, Angie the bartender, Richie the waiter, Kaitlyn the waitress and the rest of the staff are genuinely friendly and a real pleasure. The food is prepared with care and professional culinary expertise.

The overall ambiance is relaxing yet exciting with a nightly rollicking bar full of friendly talkative locals and hotel guests. The outside upstairs veranda has nice rocking chairs and a 3 seater swing just perfect for sipping wine and watching the tropical downpour while staying dry. There are cool stories of ghosts but none were experienced by us during our 3 night stay.

All in all a really nice B&B. I see why folks keep coming back year after year. Captures the elegance of old Florida mixed with the modern-day WiFi-enabled comfortable clean hotel you'd expect to find if you chose the right place to stay.

Try the hearts-of-palm salad and Island Hotel Clams. Mmmm mmmm great! Hopefully you'll see the soldier at daybreak guarding the entrance to the upstairs verandah!

Tell 'em Bill & Donna from Davie Florida sent ya!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Venice, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

This past weekend we stayed at the Island & Restaurant in Cedar Key, Florida. It is an old hotel with lots of character and Victorian decor. We stayed in room 29 which is Bessie Gibbs old room. She was a former owner for many years. She is one of the ghosts who famously haunt the hotel. I didn't see any ghosts, but I did scare myself Friday night while reading about it! There are no T.V.s or telephones, but there is a in and out WiFi. That's okay because the upstairs porch with the rocking chairs and cushioned swing made up for it! Cool town and great food. Friendly guests and awesome staff. A must for romantic weekends. Especially great if you like a taste of old Florida and its history!!!

Room Tip: If you like a king size bed and don't mind a small shower pick room 29.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple