“Owners hate owning this B and B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cedar Key
Island Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 3 Cedar Key B&B and Inns
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Owners hate owning this B and B”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Historic building is so cool. Balcony is awesome. Happy I experienced it. Owners hate everyone, each other and owning this hotel. Rude. Aloof. Indifferent. Ruined our stay. $200 night. Plus bed was made of rocks. Won't return.

• Stayed July 2013
8 Thank wendystpete

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Picayune, Mississippi
Reviewed 24 December 2013

The hotel was built in the 1860s and in many ways it shows. On the other hand, everything was clean and the climate control was excellent, the bed the most comfortable I've slept in for years (including home), the linens crisp and clean and the towels very large and fluffy. The bar, though small was a delight and the food in the restaurant couldn't be better. We'd LOVE to go back for an even longer say than the two nights we had this time.

Room Tip: Every room is different, you can go to their website and select from pictures.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank PatCW42
Arizona
Reviewed 18 December 2013

When we arrived at this hotel I had reserved I was not sure I wanted to stay here because it looked a little run down and the lady (who ended up being the owner) was not very friendly but we didn't see any other place that suited us so stayed. A hired worker was on duty by the time we checked in and she was VERY friendly and the stay was really nice. Loved the wrap around deck.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Our first night in Cedar Key and we went here on recommendation from a family member. Service was not good. The server forgot to bring out my salad, did not bring out crackers or bread while waiting for our food and did not check back with us after taking our order until we were almost finished with our meal.

I had the crab bisque which was excellent and my husband had Shrimp, tile fish and scallops. His was good but the portions were kind of small for the price. The homemade crackers were EXCELLENT even though we had to ask for these. The bread was good too.

We would go here again...the crab bisque will bring me back again and again!

Room Tip: Clean and comfortable restaurant. Excellent Crab Bisque
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Orlando, Florida, USA
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Took a trip over from Orlando for an overnight stay. Was greeted by friendly helpful staff. Stayed in room 23. Queen bed and he claw foot tub. No TV or phone was nice. Went on the Island Tour with Tidewater tours. Relaxed in the room till dinner time. Took advice from other reviewers to eat in the bar. Good advice. Friendly locals and fellow guests. Food was great. Had Clams in butter, Low country shrimp grits, and crab bisque. All were excellent. Included breakfast was a choice of scrambled eggs, french toast, or mushroom and onion quiche all with bacon and biscuits.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 22 October 2013

First of all, we have stayed in this hotel several times and, overall, we liked it. It is quaint and the food was good. We recommended it often to our friends. I even posted the promotional video from Charley Belcher's One Tank Trips on my Facebook page because we were staying there when it was filmed and we are actually in the video briefly. Anyways, we booked a three night stay for this year's seafood festival. This is a big event for this little town and because all hotels sell out, we booked eight months in advance. We booked via their web site. It is not a sophisticated reservation system. You basically fill out a small form requesting a room and the dates you will be there. They respond via email asking for a credit card number which I sent. Then you hear nothing from them again. No confirmation number, no 'Thanks, we got your info', nothing. Since I wanted to be sure they got everything they needed, I sent a follow up email asking if my reservation was good, and received a reply that everything was good. October comes and I drive over two hours from the Tampa area and go to check in and, you guessed it, they don't have our reservation or any evidence that we ever made one. I kept all the emails and showed them to the girl at the front desk. She was apologetic at first, then got rude. Her story changed several times, one of them being that the owner calls each guest two weeks before the stay to voice confirm the reservation. If she is unable to reach the party, she cancels the reservation. First of all, if this is true, when all of my contact with them has been via email, why wouldn't they email me to confirm? And secondly, if this is their policy, why do they even bother taking credit card numbers? It makes no sense. I assumed that since they had that info that I would be charged for the stay whether I showed up or not. Either way, they get their money. Heck, I would have been willing to pay for the entire stay at the time of booking! When I pointed this out to the front desk clerk, she told us that the owner "likes it to be full" The owners were out of town at the time. (Why you would be out of town on the biggest weekend of the year is beyond me.) All the other hotels on the island have been booked solid for months so I turned around and drove two hours back home, a grown, 43 year old man crying the entire way. When I got home, I sent the owner an email with copies of our email exchanges simply asking her, what happened? Her response was to blame me, saying that the emails didn't come from them even though it clearly shows their email address and the form from their site. All I wanted was for her to take responsibility for her mistake and simply apologize for it. A smart business person would have even offered a free meal or a discount on a future stay or something, considering I am a repeat guest and have spent over $1000 on food and lodging here in the past. I got none of that. In fact, I didn't even get a reply to my 2nd email. What a classless individual. I will never stay here again and I will warn my friends and family against it as well.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
17 Thank Kurt_OBrien
Koudekerk aan den rijn, Netherlands
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We enjoyed a great stay in Cedar Key. The staff was very nice. The room (33) was good enough. It was clean, had a nice bathroom. Breakfast was good, friendly waitress.
It is located conveniently on a 5 min walk to the marina.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Inglis
No photo provided
Withlacoochee Motel
#2 of 2 in Inglis

Been to Island Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!