“The worst room I ever stayed in !!”
Review of Dockside Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cedar Key
Dockside Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Cedar Key
“The worst room I ever stayed in !!”
Reviewed 4 January 2013

The room had a broken closet door that could have fallen any time and it was heavy , no coffee pot, and all the blinds were broken everyone could see in and very noisy in the morning , it needs to be remodeled !!! The only good thing was the view !! We won't stay there ever again !

• Stayed December 2012
5 Thank Bossy656

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I ought to give it four stars just for the ridiculously low rate, but there are a couple of minor issues. We stayed one night (New Year's Eve) and the rate was only sixty bucks. And for that, you really can't complain (much).

We were greeted upon check-in by the manager, who was VERY friendly and welcoming; just a super nice guy. However, he was leaving the next day to move closer to his family, so I don't know what kind of management situation you'll encounter if you stay there.

We stayed in room #6, which is upstairs and faces the water on Dock Street. It was clean enough, and had a mini refrigerator and a microwave. NO EXTRAS, but what do you expect for that rate? Therefore, bring your own hair dryer, shampoo, hand lotion, etc. There are none of those little niceties here (although they do have those tiny little bars of soap). We brought our own small coffee pot and coffee with us. They have free wi-fi, and they gave us the password as soon as we got there.

The furniture is nothing special: a couple of plastic patio chairs and table, two lamps, a TV, and a dresser. The bed was okay, not great, but we didn't wake up crippled, either. And I don't want to come off like the Princess and the Pea, but the sheets are ROUGH. Really. Rough enough that it was noticeable, and every time I rolled over or adjusted the sheet, I noticed how, um, ROUGH they were. So, very low thread count? Skimping on fabric softener? Using sandpaper as sheets? Not sure, but not a deal breaker (although if we go back, I will absolutely bring my own sheets. Yes, really). And if you stay in room 6, it's a king bed in just case you decide to bring your own! :)

The other issue I had may only be with certain rooms (including ours). It was 45 degrees outside, but the room was STIFLINGLY HOT, all night. We actually had to turn on the air conditioner because it was so unbelievably hot. When we checked in, there was an open window in the room, and it was really cool and breezy outside, but since the windows are only on one side, there is no cross ventilation unless you leave your room door open. Which you're not likely to do. I can't imagine how uncomfortable this would be in the summer time. Nevertheless, it was fine after we turned on the AC. I just hate to do that when it's December and really nice outside. I think perhaps the building is just oriented in such a way that even with the windows open, you just won't get much air circulating in the room. And that's not the fault of anyone at the motel, just something you might want to know about the comfort of the room(s).

Last, the next morning I ran into the hotel's owner. He greeted me passing in the hallway (I assumed he was a guest). We wished one another a happy new year, and he asked where I was from. I told him and we chatted, and then he mentioned he was the owner. He was really pleasant, and told me they were getting ready to make a lot of improvements on the motel. I thanked him and told him we'd be back, which we will. It's a sweet little place, nothing fancy, but clean and definitely worth it. It's like a lot of establishments in Cedar Key: owned by a transplant, or a retiree, or someone who just wants out of the rat race. Cedar Key is a wonderful little place, and the Dockside Motel is typical of the character of the town. Go. You'll enjoy it!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Chris W
Maumelle, Arkansas
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Very nice little place, very clean, and the location is incredible. We didn't have reservations, and arrived late at night, but the owner was very gracious and welcomed us in. It's a small hotel, but the rooms are very comfortable. It's definitely "Old Florida", as is the whole town, but it has a charm to it that you don't see in the new cookie cutter Florida.

Room Tip: We had room number 9, which I'd recommend, right at the top of the stairs, and it's a corner...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Rick G
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed 5 September 2012

This is not our first, but one of many stays at the Dockside. Two things made this trip special: (1) The rooms have been updated and (2) We got a chance to meet the owner, Hugh. Hugh is a fine Southern gentleman who lives locally (vs. many out of state and foreign remote owners). He was gracious enough to help my wife carrying the luggage up a flight of stairs and we chatted for awhile. The Dockside has one of the absolute best locations and views on Cedar Key - directly across from a relatively new fishing pier always full of fishermen and fisherwomen that always seem to catch a lot of fish. They are accompanied by the dozens of huge, people-friendly pelicans that are very open to picture and even petting if you are slow and gentle! The only minor issue to staying anywhere on Dock Street is the very limited parking, but the city parking is only 2 blocks away with no fee and we always find a space in front of our room after 7:00pm until 10:00am the next morning even on a holiday or event weekend. The rooms are HUGE, very well maintained and clean. They do not include a coffee maker, but the best coffee in town is right across the street at Ken's. It does include a mini-fridge that actually has a funtioning ice drawer, microwave & 27 inch TV. We love being able to walk anywhere within 10 minutes and we don't have to take out a loan to pay for our stay. I highly recommend the Dockside and if you are very lucky, you might meet Hugh.

Room Tip: All but a very few have water Gulf views and even those in back are on an access canal.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank fastman83
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Labor Day weekend my boyfriend and I visited Cedar Key, had not planned on staying but glad we did. We stood at the Dockside Motel for which the service great. Felt very comfortable. Room was clean and decent. Rate was very reasonable. Vernel was very attentative and so gracious. Boyfriend and I would definitely stay at dockside. No motel amenities but who needs when everything is so central.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Marlene M
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We love this place. One weekend 3 months ago we reserved a room at another motel in Cedar Key and received terrible service at the desk as well as finding out there was a price increase. We walked out without continuing and found our New Favorite Motel - the "Dockside Motel". We found a clean room, new paint and carpet, and very friendly customer service, we were impressed. We stay at Dockside when we visit Cedar Key.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank KimLaru
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 25 October 2011

After one night, we discovered bedbugs under my pillow. We immediately checked out and requested a refund, which we did receive. We were called by the motel staff to let us know they were replacing beds and an exterminator had been called. I apparently had an allergic reaction and a week later am covered in HUNDREDS of bites. This property must be completely infested, I can't believe they were unaware of the problem. I only hope we were able to contain the bugs and did not bring them home with us.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Inglis
No photo provided
Withlacoochee Motel
#2 of 2 in Inglis

Been to Dockside Hotel? Share your experiences!