“Our New Favorite Place”
Review of Low-Key Hideaway

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cedar Key
Low-Key Hideaway
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Cedar Key
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We love Pat and Cindy and feel like we made some new forever friends. They are so kind and friendly, not to mention incredibly talented.

We stayed in room 1, the smallest room. We opted for this so that we could spend more $ on eating out, etc. The room was small but we expected that. What really stood out was how IMMACULATE and CUTE it was. So bright and cheerful, and decorated with their own original artwork. Everything we needed was right there, and most importantly the bed was very comfortable. We appreciated them giving us the option to conserve water and power because we do the same at home.

We went to the tiki bar our first night not knowing what to expect. It was there that we realized that Pat, the bartender, and his wife Cindy own and run the whole place. Pat is very generous and makes high quality drinks in his surprisingly well stocked hut. He also loves to interact with locals who choose to hang out there, as well as the guests. It was like a big party. We had so much fun we ate a quick dinner the next night so that we could hurry back! Cindy joined us which made it even more awesome.

Overall we had a fantastic experience and can't wait to come back :)

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank paceyourself2

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Things aren'y always as they seem. Our recent getaway to Cedar Key is a good example. Before heading out I checked reviews on hotels, restaurants and attractions on Trip Advisor. In this case I was very disappointed. although many reviews on this hotel seem to be positive- our experience was anything but. First, their brochure says that they are "close to the historic district". I guess their idea of close is about 1 1/2 miles. To me this was just wrong. I was going to Cedar Key for a getaway and I definately wanted to be in the center of it all. This hotel is quite a long way from the town, so far that there isn't even a sidewalk all the way there.
We arrived, our first trip to Cedar Key, and promptly found this hotel. When we discovered how far out it was we went to the office to cancel our reservations. We were told that we couldn't. I told them of their false brochures (being so far from town) and again was told I could not cancel. After sticking to my guns about not staying there the desk person finally refunded 1 nights charges. I said this was unacceptable - paying that much money for not staying there. To no avail- they still charged me for a night.
I cannot speak to the rooms as I never saw one. What I can say is that this hotel is quite a ways from the town. The building is also quite close to the main road (think noise, kids safety). Also I found the office person to be very unreasonable. ( I had offered to pay them $20. for their trouble but was told , "no". Yes, they wanted much much more from me even though I never set foot in one of their rooms.)
Nice, friendly place?
With so many hotel choices- buyer beware.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Donn P
everymilesamemory, Owner at Low-Key Hideaway, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Our cancellation policy is explained both on our website as well as when an individual makes a reservation on the phone. We tell each and every person that we have a 72 hour notice of cancellation or change, we then log that into the computer to make sure each person has had that explained to them.
A reservation is a two part program where both parties agree on the same goal, I will hold a room for the party and the party guarantees that they will pay for the room. If we didn't have a reservation policy that we uphold this would not be a successful business.
We don't have any issues with children safety since our property is 21 and over. Our motel has been here since 1964 and is situated along the road side which was the purpose of a motel in the era that it was built. Most motels are located along side a traveled road for convenience of a driver with quick access from their vehicle to the room.
The situation with our front office manager was uncomfortable for both you and her. I feel that she was completely professional and did the best that she could with the situation that she was placed in. The language that was used and the high level of anxiety that filled the office while you were here made us all uneasy.
I do apologize if both our website as well as informing you verbally over the phone when you made your reservation were not thoroughly informative of our cancellation policy.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

This was our first visit to Cedar Key. We chose LKH because of the reviews, no negative ones! LKH was better than advertised! The room was beautiful, clean, comfortable! The dock was the perfect place to watch wildlife and sunsets! Don't miss visiting the Tiki bar! Great people and a great place to watch World Cup soccer! Don't miss LKH when you're in Cedar Key! I'm sure we'll be back!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Anna C
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This was our second stay at Low Key Hideaway, this time for three nights. Friends brought their RV for hookup and we booked our favorite Room #5. Nothing changed since our visit last March. The staff is helpful and attentive and the room is clean and well-stocked with essentials. The King Bed is better than ours at home! All needed kitchen items are present.

The dock has canopy chairs that encourage Girl Talk' while swinging away. Sunsets are awesome as we are looking due West in the back.

The Tiki Bar is the best. Locals come to join the guests and you meet just the most interesting, eclectic people. Drinks are reasonably priced and there is much variety. Pat and Cindy are the ultimate hosts.

Location, ambience, awesome sunsets, immaculate rooms; what more do you need? Few people, no congestion, no rabble-rousing.......and a 4th of July where people from outside bring musical instruments to entertain prior to the fireworks!

The only improvement is AT&T lack of attention to WiFi. Never able to connect.

Did I mention the King Bed??

Yes, we will be back!

Room Tip: #5 is on the end closest to RV hookup location but is our favorite.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lexie41
Reviewed 30 June 2014

An amazing place indeed. Cedar Key is old Florida with no chain hotels or fast food places, and the LKH fits right in. Not the place for the family on the way to see Mickey, this is a refuge for all the rest of us interstate warriors who want to relax and meet some interesting people. Look at the web site video and photos; it's a little slice of heaven sticking out in the Gulf. Rooms are clean and well done, staff is attentive, and service is personalized. The Tiki bar has to be experienced, you can't really describe it. Best sunsets ever from their dock! Don't expect the Ritz-Carlton, it's small, funky and very unique, and you'll have a great time.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Greerguy
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Low Key Hideaway with our Brother and Sister- in-law in celebration of our anniversary . When we arrived we were warmly greeted by Cindy. The rooms are very clean , ( I was expected that old musty smell.. Yuk) but was pleasantly surprised by the smell of CLEAN!! The rooms are comfortable, and decorated with original artwork . The back patio was a great place to hang out. Loved the Tiki Bar ! Pat is a great bartender! We were deluged by huge storms, but that didn't stop us from having a blast! Great place to stay when wanting to explore quaint Cedar Key. We are planning a little family reunion next summer, and will not consider another place for our annual get together! Oh yeah, did I mention the sunset!! Breathtaking!! Can't wait to get back!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robin D
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

LKH is the light house of Cedar Key! This was our second stay here almost 4 years. We will never stay anywhere else on Cedar Key. Pat and Cindy continue to create an atmosphere that is unforgettable. Completely laid back, yet attentive to the needs of all who stay. Memories continue to be made here!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends