“A quaint motel to visit”
Review of Faraway Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cedar Key
Faraway Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Cedar Key
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seminole, Florida
“A quaint motel to visit”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We spent two nights at the Faraway Inn. We had a very pleasant experience there. We took advantage of the bicycles they keep on hand and toured the island while getting some exercise. The owners were very friendly and both they and the other guests were unobtrusive.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
FarawayInnCedarKey, Owner at Faraway Inn, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
We are so pleased that you chose Faraway Inn for your two night stay. Glad you used the bicycles to go island exploring. We hope to have you visit again. Please do contact us to let us know how we can improve and if you had any cleanliness issues in your unit. We want to continuing improving and cleanliness is a very important part of your stay.
Doreen and Oliver Bauer owners/inn-keepers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Middletown, Ohio
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed in a cabin. It was an efficiency nice but more than we needed for a one night stay. I would recommend it for any stay but great for week ends or longer.
Friendly and helpful staff, great location for watching sunsets and within walking distance to the pier.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cowhide1
FarawayInnCedarKey, Owner at Faraway Inn, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
As always we are so pleased that you took the time to write a review regarding your stay at Faraway Inn. We are so glad that you had a good time and we look forward to your return. We try hard to make sure that our staff of stars are helpful and accommodating to everyone.
Peace, Health and Happiness,
Doreen & Oliver Bauer owners/inn-keepers
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We've been here several times before and I've written a long review previously, so this is just an update. The staff is still friendly, the rooms are still clean, the view is still fantastic and the cat is still welcoming guests at the front of the office. We booked late and had to grab the only room open over our dates. It came with a double bed that wouldn't hold two people and two fur babies, so we brought our inflatable bed. The staff helped rearrange the furniture so our inflatable would fit and provided linens for it. That's what I call service. We've been told that they will start taking reservations for 2015 in November, so we will be calling then to book our favorite room and make sure we have the two beds. I still want to steal a couple of pieces of yard art, but have resisted the urge so far. Maybe next time.
The bottom line is this is a laid-back property that cares about their customers. When you walk out in the morning to give the pups their first outing, nobody cares that you are still in your jammies. When you walk out at sunset and don't have an adult beverage in your hand, someone will offer you one. If the grill is hot and covered in clams you are rude to refuse at least one. If life allowed me to move, I would.

Room Tip: 10, 11, 12 are ocean front
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Auntie_C
Thank you for taking the time to write another review for Faraway Inn. We try hard to keep only the staff of stars assisting us at Faraway Inn. If you email me at farawayinn@gmail.com and tell me the yard art that you like I can tell you where it came from and you might be able to get a duplicate. We are glad that you enjoy your stay and our gardens. We look forward to your next return.

Canandaigua NY, United States
Reviewed 8 March 2014

A delightful atmosphere, comfortable accomodations, great view, and a pet owners paradise. The staff is wonderful and we can't wait to go back!Including the bikes was the icing on the cake. I hope we have a little warmer of a day next year so we can use the kayaks or canoes..

Green Features: It is a green hotel which was great after having spent the previous month in an area of Fl. that doesn't recycle.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Martha C
FarawayInnCedarKey, Owner at Faraway Inn, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We strive hard to make all of our guests feel comfortable and relaxed. Yes, we do love the pets at Faraway Inn. We think we are truly the pet friendliest place in Cedar Key. Thank you for appreciating that we are a Green lodging. Cedar Key is very big on recycling and saving our landfills of hazardous materials. At Faraway Inn we also collect used cell phones and ink jet cartridges and we recycle them for a check made out to our local school. We look forward to your next visit and you enjoying the free use of our kayaks and canoes.
Doreen & Oliver Bauer owners/innkeepers

Reviewed 6 February 2014

We have been to Cedar Key on many occasions but had not stayed at Faraway Inn before. After bringing home our rescue Rotti in December, we had to find pre-friendly accommodations for our next trip. Since we had seen and heard of Faraway that was the logical choice. We stayed in an efficiency (they have cottages and motel rooms as well) and although a tad tight space-wise, it was cozy enough for my lovely wife and I, and our new doggie. The Faraway is VERY pet Friendly and they issue you a mat and treats upon check-in. They also have books and movies to borrow while you are there. The staff were all helpful and friendly and definitely love animals. Our new Rotti felt welcomed and at home there, and made friends with all staff he encountered. Heck, he even found a little girlfriend staying in the cottage down the way! We recommend Faraway Inn whether you have a pet or not (but definitely if you do), accommodations are good, prices are reasonable, and it sits directly across from the waterfront and spectacular sunsets. Close to downtown and shopping/restaurants as well, just a short walk.

Green Features: They are green, and support ocean conservancy, supply doggie waste bags at several locations on premises
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank JohnAndJude
FarawayInnCedarKey, Owner at Faraway Inn, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Thank you so much for adopting your pet and saving a life. We love them all, no matter what size or breed they are all precious gifts. We are so pleased that all of you enjoyed your stay and we welcome you back with open paws. Thank you also for taking the time to write such a wonderful review and thank you for choosing Faraway Inn to bring your Best Friend!
Happiness, Health, Woof,
Dunnellon, Florida
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I feel like I stumbled on a great secret in 2009 when we first came here so I am conflicted about giving the secret away by praising this place again and again. I want the place to myself! But I want them to stay in business, too, and I feel really good when I see NO VACANCY on their sign when I walk my dog by - that's how much I love this place - so here I go with another rave review.....We were househunting in Florida for three months last year, and Cedar Key was our first choice for a home, and Faraway Inn was our first choice to stay while househunting. I wish we could have stayed here the whole three months while househunting, but cost dictated we had to rent a house on the island instead. So we only ended up staying at the Faraway Inn in the waterfront Cottage #1 for a week. After we had checked out of Faraway and into our rental house, I would walk my dog by Cottage One, and she would try to pull me to Cottage One as if it was our home. I wish! Cottage One is a darling little cottage about 500 square feet with two large Serta beds, full size fridge, oven, microwave, all utensils and coffee supplies you need, a big wood dining table where you can sit and look out all the large picture windows at the ocean and the people walk their dogs. Ditto with the futon and the large flat panel tv. TV reception is still so-so and wifi is OK. The cottage is an older building but very well maintained and kept immaculate; it is great to pull into your little parking spot, open the door and be greeted with a nice clean smell and the music playing on the cd player. The staff is great, always very friendly and welcoming of all different types of people. At the Faraway Inn there are three other little cottages that are not waterfront, three gulf view units, and some efficiencies around the office. We can't speak for those except for one gulf view unit we stayed in back in 2009, but the gulf view unit was adorable, too (see my 2009 review). The grounds are covered with beautiful gardens and kitschy little figurines and works of art. The resident kitty was still there and as loving as ever. They got new gulf karts in the week we stayed, but the rates were higher than their competitors so we did not rent one. They still have free bikes and free kayaks. I didn't use the kayak but if I can just please nitpick, they need to get new bikes. I always had to sort through several bicycles before I found a bike that did not have a flat tire or comfortable handlebars, and they tend to be older and rusty. Nitpicking, really. You don't really need a bike to get around Cedar Key. Cedar Key is very walkable. You can walk around the entire downtown area in a matter of minutes. And if you can't walk, you can wheel around. Cars go very slowly. It is a very safe place to be. Faraway Inn is in a great location on the water but within easy walking distance to the main 2nd street and Dock Street. One must stress there are no white sandy beaches in Cedar Key except for a manmade beach at the city park. You'll need to go somewhere like Panama City Beach to get that...and deal with the hateful crowds. Cedar Key is just a quiet little island on the Nature Coast bursting with wildlife and great for doglovers as is the Faraway Inn. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Cottage #1 is best, and bring your dog!
Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank RootlessRoamer
All I can say is wow, thank you for such a wonderful review. We love when guests bring their pets (best friends) so the entire family is together on vacation, as it should be. We appreciate our wonderful guests so much. You are the reason that we exist as a small mom and pop motel and we thank you for supporting the little guys. We promise to keep the Faraway Inn a fun, clean and family place to get-a-way for many years to come. We look forward to your next visit.
Peace, Happiness and Health,
Tampa
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

We called last minute for a room on a Saturday night and were able to book their last available cottage. It was super cute, roomy, and affordable. All staff members on the phone and in person were some of the nicest I've ever encountered. Thanks for a great experience in Cedar Key!!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
FarawayInnCedarKey, Owner at Faraway Inn, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
We are so glad that you stay with us and enjoyed your cottage. It is also awesome to hear that our staff of stars are friendly. We feel that we are very fortunate to have such a wonderful group of stars working with us to make the Faraway Inn the best it can be.

Peace, Happiness, Health and Cedar Key Cheer in the New Year 2014,
No photo provided
Withlacoochee Motel
#2 of 2 in Inglis
Cedar Cove Beach & Yacht Club

Been to Faraway Inn? Share your experiences!