“Roomy and Relaxing”
Review of Island Place

Island Place
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Arrived early and room was ready. Room was very clean and furnished just right for a vacation villa. Fantastic view of gulf from roomy, well-furnished deck... spent most of my time out there enjoying the view and sound of the gulf lapping onshore right beneath our deck. My daughter loved the bed nook. The staff was nice and cheerful. Loved that we could just leave our car in lot and walk everywhere on island. Only complaint was the tub... old repair was unsightly. Also, bring things like food and coffee with you because small market on the island was very overpriced and not well stocked. Cedar Key is very laid back and there is not a ton to do right on the island... great for fishing and boating or kayaking or to just sit back and relax.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank DelrayMom

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Our annual trip to Cedar Key in celebration of husbands birthday, where we always stay at Island Place. This year we were pleased to see renovations, long overdue, adding to our comfort. New managers delightful/accommodating. Looking forward to 2014 visit!

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank umapapaya
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We used to visit Island Place 3 to 4 times a year. We visited in 2012 and had a bad experience with the staff. Definite lack of courtesy and organization. We decided to give it another shot for the 4th of July holidays this year. Again, the staff was not friendly, did not know what to do about the horrible parking situation, did not know what to do about guest complaints, and did nothing to enforce the rules of the pool and hot tub (which resulted in several guest complaints and verbal altercations amongst guests). Many friends and family members of the staff were often hanging around in the public areas of the pool (which used to be there for the guests) and thus rendering them unusable. There was at least one visit from the police and one separate visit from fire and rescue due to unruly guests. I truly wish the former management staff had not left. They were always warm, friendly, welcoming, made us feel at home and they were genuinely happy to have us there. We felt nothing more than an inconvenience to this 'new' staff. Hospitality is not in their vocabulary. Island Place has gone from our favorite place for a quick get away to a place we probably will not patronize again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 5Ben5
PamO292, Front Office Manager at Island Place, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2013

I am sorry that your stay with us was as unpleasant as it was. I will agree we did have some extremely unruly guests that particular weekend, but we did what had to do to get the situation back under control. I am sorry that you had to suffer because of someone else's mistakes. I can assure you that that particular group of guest will not be returning to The Island Place. I can also apologize for the way the weekend was overall, we were extremely short handed for such a busy weekend. I know that isn't an excuse for the way some of our staff acted, but I can assure they are not with us anymore, and I would like to personally invite you to try us again. We value our customers opinions and we are regretful that your weekend was ruined because of someone else's behavior.

Management Team at The Island Place

Reviewed 22 April 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Island Place. Our accommodations were nice and had a great view. Cedar Key is always a wonderful place to spend time. This time, I booked our stay in conjunction with a meeting I was attending and at check out was charged more than the fully burdened meeting rate that was on my reservation quote. I contacted the facility regarding the difference, asking if there had been additional charges I was not aware of, and never heard back. While the difference was only about $14.00 - I was not happy that they wouldn't even respond to my inquiry. With a caution on reviewing your checkout invoice (which is not detailed), this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mary C
PamO292, Manager at Island Place, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

I am sorry that I did not get a chance to speak to you. If I'm not mistaken, you were with a group that posted rates on their website without approving them with us. We do give groups a 10% discount. Now, we send email confiramtions when you book with us. Also, our rates are posted on our website where you can book online:)

Reviewed 7 November 2012

We stayed in Cedar Key after a college football game an hour away. Made the reservation4 days out and they weren't busy enough to require a two day stay. We had visited this property before and stayed in 315 ... A two bedroom with a fabulous view...as photos from other visitors show. The decor was eclectic and fun...kitchen was well equipped...was nice to sit on the porch and have a glass of wine...grounds were well kept, however, some places in stairwell could use some painting. The only small detail I could recommend was the towel racks in the bath....kept coming off wall..as well as decorative hooks...I suggested to office that it would be just as nice to have towels rolled up in a basket...cats were around the hotel but on third floor there was no smell...unfortunately Cedar Key is filled with these wandering homeless cats and it is a little overwhelming to see so many of them...a fun restaurant and sports bar closed on the pier and that was also a disappointment.

Room Tip: third floor has a great view...two bedroom places have a choice of two queens or one queen and two t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JudyDBrooksville
Reviewed 3 September 2012

My wife and I stayed there on this trip up to Cedar key, staff was great on the phone calls being a last minute for the Holiday weekend, and got us into a room with a gulf view/front and even pet friendly for my wife's little dog.This place is in a great location walking distance from everywhere. park you car and forget about it..No issues with the cats like some others around here and hate to break the news to some of those also but the "smell" is from the gulf people, it a tidal area and mud and water get brought in from that estuary next door on the tides, so it's not the cats...besides it's pretty much non-existent anyway. suggest you stay inland if being near water bothers you. Great pool area, parking was numbered so no issues. The rooms were above average considering they are pet friendly, wouldn't hurt to run a machine over the rugs now and then to clean them up, but that's what you need to expect with dogs allowed inside. Kitchen area small but quaint, and great ceiling fans and great A/C. Just some minimal attention and some extras (gotta bridge that gap between hotel and condo rental a little better with necessities) but all in all I would recommend and plan to stay there on next visit. Now if Cedar Key could just do something about the food, except the Pizza place (great!!)

Room Tip: gulf views/fronts usually have swings thinking maybe 2nd floor would be better next time..
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank madbeacher2009
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Island Place is a great place to stay while visiting Cedar Key!! Very nicely kept, clean, well decorated. It has a great pool area with a hot tub and most of all, a very welcoming staff!! I'll be staying here on my next visit!!

Room Tip: I stayed in 315, a two bedroom and friends stayed in 108, a one bedroom. Both units were very nice!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends