“Condo a 10. Bob the office help a 0.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cedar Key
Old Fenimore Mill Condos
Snohomish, Washington
“Condo a 10. Bob the office help a 0.”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My husband, sister and brother-in-law recently stayed at the Old Fenimore in condo 8C. We booked online and had never seen or heard of the place. We were very pleasantly surprised how wonderful it was. Probably the most beautiful view from our deck we have had. The birds were amazing. The condo was very cheerful and nice. We would love to recommend it to anyone and would love to return to the same condo, It would have been one of our best stays ever if it had not been marred by Bob Cooper in the office on our checkout. The day we checked in my sister and I walked down to the dock that we could see from our room. It had a very nice little white sandy beach. Three children around 10 to 12 came down to the beach and were standing by us. They had an adult with them that was standing on the dock. They were very nice and respectful. We had our backs turned to the boy when we heard him screaming. He had walked two feet off the white sand and in a couple seconds was up to his chest in mud. He was terrified as he should have been. My sister and I ran and pulled him out of the mud. If we or the adult with him had not been there he would not have been able to get out. When we went to check out the next morning we told Bob Cooper how wonderful the place was and that we would like to return. We started to tell him about what had happened and our concern that there were no warning signs on the dock or when you check in maybe the office could tell people to stay on the sand. It could have happened to anyone that had not been around quicksand or mud like that. We were very friendly just relaying our experience. Bob immediately became very angry and defensive and said "What do you want me to do. Fence the entire area in?" He then started venting about children not being watched which was untrue . The boy was not in any way at fault. I told him we were shocked at his reaction and unconcern at all for the safety of guests. He said he only cared about kids not being watched.
Obviously he does not like children and could have cared less if something had happened to the boy. He then told us to get out and leave. We in no way deserved his actions or response. I work in the event business with hundreds of hotels and vendors and have never met someone that is dealing with clients that was so rude. If I had a condominium I would never want this person representing it. From reading the other reviews others have had the same problems with Bob. This is a beautiful place and we would love to return but would hesitate if Bob is still there. All that he would have had to have done is show concern and say that is a good idea to put up a sign. Thank you for alerting us. Not throw your guests out for relaying to you a situation that could have had a bad ending. Sad now we will not first remember our stay for its beauty but the offensive office help.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank DianeO12345
SHRADER M, Manager at Old Fenimore Mill Condos, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
We very much appreciate your kind comments about Old Fenimore Mill. We are the largest Condominium Vacation Rental property in Cedar Key, and as you have noted, along with the other reviews on TripAdvisor, we are in a delightful location overlooking the Gulf from all directions. I am sorry, however, that you saw fit to make a personal attack on Robert Cooper, who has been, along with his wife Joyce, the backbone of our rental office for many years. He certainly DOES care about children, is a grandfather himself, and was recently elected to the Presidency of one of Cedar Key's major service clubs. He does get upset, as we all do, when we learn of parental neglect of children visiting our community and specifically Old Fenimore Mill.
Swimming pools and beaches are NOT the place for youngsters to be left without adequate supervision. The little beach where you helped the young child get out of the mud is one that has recently "appeared". Storms and high tides work strange magic around the Cedar Keys.
Beaches appear and disappear from time to time. This is one of those. In an abundance of caution we placed instructional signage as soon as we heard of the event. While the child's parent(s) were close by, they obviously were not close enough to help, and never saw fit to tell us about it themselves. I hope that they were appreciative of your efforts in their child's behalf.
We certainly are, and we hope you do see fit to return to Cedar Key, and revisit Old Fenimore MIll.

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We stayed only one night at Old Fenimore Mill since we live about an hour away and were looking for just a quick getaway with the kids. Due to short notice, the condos where we normally stay were booked. My husband remembered Old Fenimore Mill as "the older condos" that we pass on our regular day trips to the area. I decided for one night, we could manage, but we were incredibly (pleasantly) surprised by our stay. I found an available condo (8C) listed through a google search, but when I called, I learned that particular condo was not actually available. Another (8A) was smaller, but available. We figured we could make it work with the couch and took the condo. The manager was very friendly when I called. He knew immediately which condo I referred to and was able to speak knowledgeably about the size and amenities of the available condo. The booking process was very easy and a short time later, I received a confirmation email. We arrived a bit earlier than the listed time for check in, but figured that the worst that could happen was the room wouldn't be ready. However, it was and we were able to get in right away. The condo had a nice-sized bedroom, a clean bathroom, a relatively sizable living room which was open and had good natural light from the sliding glass doors. I didn't spend much time in the kitchen, but from what I saw, that appeared clean and well-equipped. There was a small laundry room with a washer and dryer, a nice balcony overlooking the marsh and 2 VCR's, along with a decent assortment of movies including numerous Disney movies which our 4 year old enjoyed. The entire apartment was clean and well-kept. The decorations were not the most modern, but were in good repair and were comfortable. The bedroom had a ceiling fan, the TV's had remotes, etc. The only amenity that I wish had been a bit better was the wi-fi. My computer showed private wi-fi for each of the condos in building 8 except ours. I was able to access the guest network, but it was a slow enough connection that skype did not work and eventually, I lost my internet connection altogether. While this wasn't the biggest of problems since I wasn't planning on working, the lack of skype did cause an bit of an issue. It wasn't enough to ruin the trip, but we'll plan differently in the future now that we know. I did not visit, but my husband and son had a nice visit to the pool and jacuzzi and also to the small beach behind our building. Like many condos in Cedar Key, the building is not handicapped accessible as it is raised a full flight of stairs above-ground. This wasn't an issue for us, but might have been if my parents had gone with us. The bathroom was well stocked and we really didn't have any issues at all during our stay. Check out was very fast, efficient and friendly.

Overall, we had a very nice stay and I would be happy to return again for a longer visit.

Room Tip: If you care about wireless connection, but sure to confirm that your particular room has individual...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank luajoy
Waban MA
Reviewed 12 March 2014

This is out 5th year in Cedar Key, our fourth at the Old Fenimore Mill, and our 3rd in Unit 6F.
As the photo shows, the view is incredible. The condo is extremely comfortable. Yes, the
housekeeping is a bit variable. The dishwasher had not been cleaned when we checked in, but
we resolved the problem with several empty washings. My only complaint is the sound of the pool heater, but fortunately Unit 6F is far enough way, so it is not a problem. But other units are much closer, so if pool heater noise is a problem for you be sure that your unit is not near the pool. So, if you like birds and fishing this is the place to come. We've already signed up for
2015.

Room Tip: Take the highest rooms if available. The climb up the steps will be worth it.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wabanrail
Ormond Beach
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My Brother & his wife joined us for a holiday in Florida and left the travel plans to me.
A local hotel in Cedar Key was full but referred us on to the Old Fenimore Mill.
From the onset I felt I received great service, first on the phone then by a followup e-mail from our host.
Our 2 bedroom 2 bath condo was fully equipped with all kitchen supplies, large TV and comfortable furniture. The most important thing was a balcony overlooking the Gulf of Mexico and a piece of very quiet beach. There were chairs on the balcony where we spent the early evenings with drinks and nibbles. The place is fantastic.
Cedar Key is quaint and lovely, offering a series of different activities and the restaurants were wonderful.
We will certainly go back to the Old Fenimore Mill next year.

Room Tip: Choose a top room with a balcony overlooking the water.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank James M
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

We just spent our 2nd year at Cedar Key over Christmas in building 5 and were very satisfied with our experience! There was a mix up on room at checkin but everything got worked out! Condo was clean, and a well stocked kitchen, flat screen TV though we didn't turn it on, just enjoyed the radio and lovely views from our warm living room! Very nice and relaxing for the three nights! The condos are close by to town and yet very quiet! Will return once again!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 2runing
Saint Augustine, Florida, United States
Reviewed 27 September 2013

It's difficult to review any more than the unit that we stayed in because many are privately owned and are furnished differently etc....
However, my wife and I could not have asked for more. The place was beautiful, the location was as good as it gets, the staff was courtious and helpful, and the rates were incredible for what you get.
Granted it was "off-season" and 3 nights get one free....But that free night was the very reason that we searched no further. An entire home for the cost of a roadside hotel is about what it boiled down to.
I'm a complainer......I can't find anything to complain about with regard to our stay.

Dan
St. Augustine, FL

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dan N
Maitland, Florida
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I've been to Cedar Key many times since I attended The University of Florida back in the 80's. The times I've stayed in town have always been in smaller motels. This time we didn't make reservations and ended up at the Old Fenimore Mill. From the outside it looked nice and comfortable. Best of all, most of the units faced the Gulf. We settled on unit 5F.

The unit was on the third floor facing the gulf with a great view and a small white sand beach behind the building. From the spacious balcony with room for four chairs and a round table you can see Dog Island, the restaurants,the pier and Atsena Otie Key. Some of the furniture was a bit outdated, but it was very comfortable and spacious.

The master had a king bed and the other room had two twins. The bathrooms were very clean. The kitchen was stocked with all utensils, silverware,plates and glasses. There was a microwave and wifi available. The a/c was cold and worked well.

We took two kayaks on the roof of our SUV and since the buildings are on stilts,there was no problem fitting with more than enough room to spare. It was nice not having a hot car when the weekend was over.

The kids (16 & 14) and I thoroughly enjoyed their stay. Everything was within walking distance.

If you're looking to relax and get away from it all, this is a great spot.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MdvGator
SHRADER M, General Manager at Old Fenimore Mill Condos, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We receive most of our visitors from word of mouth and reviews like yours. As you mentioned, Building 5 is in the center of the array of buildings and has a great, unobstructed view of the Gulf and off shore islands surrounding Cedar Key.I will share your comments with all of our personnel and we will all look forward to your next visit to Old Fenimore Mill in beautiful Cedar Key!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cedar Key
#1 of 2 in Inglis
Cedar Inn
Cedar Inn
#3 of 3 in Cedar Key

Been to Old Fenimore Mill Condos? Share your experiences!