“Should have been a clue”
Review of Blue Desert Cafe - CLOSED

Blue Desert Cafe
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 13 May 2017

It should have been a clue when we walked in at 7:00 on a Friday night, and the place was completely empty, NO CUSTOMERS.. However, the atmosphere was very nice so we decided to give it a try. The waitress came to our table, and took our drink order, and explained that they only had 1 cook, so we should be prepared to wait for our food. But quickly followed that up with, "But it will be worth the wait." The menu is extremely limited,but there were some tasty choices, so onward we go. The first two things my wife ordered, They were out of. Diet restricted, she asked if she could get the shrimp linguini, minus the linguini, simply shrimp on a plate??? The waitress was terribly confused with that, but after some debate, she reluctantly placed the order. I had the Stromboli, Our two friends ordered and we were set. While we waited, Verrrrrrry long wait, refilling our drinks,(charged for every refill), our food arrives. I will take nothing away from my food, The Stromboli, however very small, was good. But, that only lasted until the check arrived.. WOW !!! I could not believe what we were served amounted to that.. So even though a bit disgruntled, I was ready to put this experience behind us and move on. So I offered my Credit card for payment. After several minutes, the waitress returned and asked if I could pay with cash, because the cook was having some issue with her cell phone credit card attachment. This made my experience whole.
I truly believe that the restaurant is only open for four hours a day, and since we were their ONLY customers of the night, we were responsible for their operation cost.
So bottom line, if they actually have what you want, and you want to pay Chef prices for an average at best meal, that the "only waitress" will try to convince you that "the Chef must create to order," and you have lots of time, Bring the bank and have at it.
As for me and my family, I'm sure we will not return.. Too many better choices in Cedar Key...

1  Thank Dave W

Reviewed 13 May 2017 via mobile

This could have been a nice experience. We were the only people there...the wait wasn't horrible, the ladies were nice. The food, however... For the price?
It was atrocious and ridiculous!! A burrito is not a hard thing to make folks! We won't go back. And this will get posted to my Cedar Key resturaunts blog. This is a limited menu, with a limited staff, overpriced, and not very well put together...they don't take credit cards or debit...or at least that seems to be an issue. Recreate your menu...get some staff, create a new online presence with information like cash is preferable. And although I appreciate the idea of made to order...this is a restaurant and prep is key.

Reviewed 7 May 2017

Each year when we visit we always make sure to dine at Blue Desert Cafe for at least one meal. This visit was stopped for dinner. The food as always was delicious and made to order. The waitress was friendly. We love the artsy interior. It just feels so welcoming. The owner is looking to retire and has the place for sale... we hate to have her leave as she is a good cook and we love what she has created. We will keep playing the lottery and hoping that one day we may be able to keep her legacy alive. Make sure you stop by for a meal - it is a hidden gem!

Reviewed 25 February 2017

We found this restaurant on line and had seen it while driving on hwy 24. It is very small with vintage tables and chairs (9 total tables inside). Lots of things to look at on walls, ceiling and tables. They have containers with Trivial Pursuit game cards to pass the time. Food is great. It is prepared to order so there is a wait but worth it (thus the game cards). This restaurant is for sale so we encourage you to get there soon.

Reviewed 1 February 2017 via mobile

Very nice dinner at this small cozy restaurant within walking distance of the RV park where we were staying. All dishes are prepared to order so you won't want to go if you are in a hurry. Very nice staff and food worth the wait. We enjoyed it very much!