“Good in some areas, Bad in others”

Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Celebration
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My family went to Mystic Dunes as part of our "Sampler" package we took out with Diamond Resorts. This was the last sampler we had and our check-in went very well. Our room was nice and the furniture was okay. One of the first things we noticed which was very minor was that one of the lamps in the bedroom didn't work. I would assume that when a room is claened up after a guest leaves that they would check out the appliances to make sure everything is working. When I spoke to customer service about they said housekeeping didn't do that. For a lamp I won't make a complaint. It's just annoying, BUT, when my wife tried to use the oven, the over door came loose from the hinge on the left side. That is dangerous. You would think that housekeeping would check the oven just to make sure it was clean for the next guest. Well, I don't think I need to say anything more about that. That is incompatence period. The last item which maybe minor to some people was very frustrating for me. When we wanted to use the internet we noticed there was a charge of $8.95 for a 24 hour period. Why would a resort charge for internet when you can go to a motel and get it for free. When I asked them they said that members of Diamond Resort get free internet. Well excuse me, I paid for the Sampler and that makes me a member while my sampler is active. Diamond Resorts doesn't see it that way. I am a renter just like people who pay the "rack rate". So, in order to get free internet you need to join Diamond Resorts. As I said above, it costs $8.95 for a 24 hour usage. At 8:30 am on one of the days, I paid so we can have internet the entire day. Later in the morning we all went out to Universal studios for the day. We came back to the room at 9pm. My son was unable to use the intetnet. When I tried I noticed that our 24 hour period was no longer avaialble. I called customer service and thay said they can't fix that and sent me to tech support who said they can't fix that and sent me back to customer service. Customer service placed me on hold and never came back. I went ahead and paid another $8.95 The next morning my wife and I had to go to a presentation about Diamond Resorts. At these presentations they try to sell you a timeshare. I brought up the internet issue and they tried to explain that since they only owned this resort for 5 years that training was still going on. Five years? How long does it take to train people in customer service. Seems like they have a big turnover rate otherwise why would training still be going on. Needless to say, we did not sign up with Diamond Resorts. You would think that the Diamond folks would say someting like sorry to see you go but they walked away leaving us hanging. They walked away from us at our other trip to Los Abrigados a year earlier.

Here is the bottom lime. Mystic Dunes is a nice resort. If you like golf and want to be close to Disney and Orlando and you either already belong to Diamond or are going just as a guest, go and have a good time. Maybe the issue that I had won't happen to you. I will not recommend any Diamond Resort to my friends since Diamonds priority is to get you to sign up which I don't mind but they have a lousy and pressure filled presentation. Just be prepared for that. My presenter began telling us of her family issues which I really didn't feet was proper.

Room Tip: We didn't have any. Maybe that was because I was only in the Sampler package which is in between...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MBS6132003
Write a ReviewReviews (3,315)

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I cannot wait to comeback next year !!! Gorgeous beautiful friendly ... By far the best ...as long as I visit orlando I will stay at mustoc dunes ... Felt like home away from home ... Simply beautiful

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank jaeblac
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Reservation was made using a Groupon. Everything was simply stated, one bedroom standard, $12 daily resort fee, $100 deposit at check in. Upon check in we inquired about upgrading to a 1 BR deluxe. We were told it was $25 a day plus tax. Ok. Let's upgrade (glad we did) Maria, the front desk girl gave us our total of $215(and change) this included our deposit, resort fee and upgrade (3 days) she then told us "oh with the resort fee, your WiFi is included" I repeated what she said to make sure I heard correct bc I read differently online. She said yes. (Let's skip to 24 hours later) the WiFi renews every 24 hours, you have to log back in. So upon logging in my son's iPod, it shows it's being billed. I call the front. They said I already had a going tally of 3 WiFi charges of $5.95. Apparently, Maria failed to mention, "oh with the resort fee, WiFi is included...for only 2 devices". With today's devices of phones, laptops, tablets etc. You tell someone that WiFi is included, would they not log on all devices? I even questioned (over the phone) why it was giving my a $5.95 option. The gentleman Brian said "it will say that, but doesn't really Bill you". So here I'm spending 2 days talking back and forth with the desk, to IT, to billing concerning WiFi charges.
The room. Glad we upgraded. The room was nice and spacious. Everything clean. My only complaint was the tiny shower. Huge bathroom, lots of space....tiny shower. I'm a small person and had a hard time moving in there, especially since the shower head doesn't move. You kinda have to stand in the corner to get soap off your body.
The grounds are nice. Our room was located near two pools. The employees we spoke with at the pool and activities center were very nice.
We did get roped into doing a timeshare tour. Although we didn't have to, the girl at the counter was quick. They said 90 minutes of a tour but was a little over 2 hours. But we did get $100 and another stay. Although this stay was not bad, it's never fun to deal with issues while vacationing.
Why WiFi is just not opened up to all is beyond me. You can step into a McDonald's and get it free, hell even at Disney world! I guess mystic dunes just likes to Nickel and dime you.
Upon checkout, we were told our WiFi charges were waived. Then told we owed the resort fee of $40, which I said Maria had already charged. They said it was just a "hold" we got our deposit back, but I was still confused about our upgrade charges. Apparently Maria charged us the $215 (deposit, fee, upgrade) and failed to add tax to the upgrade. So we still ended up paying more money. So my argument was, if I'm signing for a "total price" shouldn't the price at least be correct in the end? Why tax only a portion of the bill? Maybe this young lady needs more training behind the counter. She was nice though, but gave us no good
info. When I broke down the billing error to the checkout girl she said "oh I didn't have the upgrade in the charges, thank you for reminding me to charge you" but she said it in a way of sarcasm as if I was hoping they would forget. I'm not a shady person and if I owe something, I'm going to pay it. I calculated to pay the $115 (minus deposit) that I signed for when I checked in.
Next time, I will pick a different resort, and one that's not a timeshare. I like a cut and dry billing process, not a circus show of extras.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I stayed here last month, it was a comp visit because I had a bad experience at another Diamond resort last fall. We had a one week stay in a 2 br condo. I had specifically requested a renovated condo, and when I was checking in, I overheard that only 16 2 br condos are renovated and they are saved for owners. My front desk agent was extremely abrupt and rude. When I insisted on a renovated condo, she stormed off for 20 minutes and left me standing at the desk. Finally she came back and told me I was in a renovated condo. We were in building 22 near the activity pool, which I requested, but the condo was partially renovated. The kitchen was okay, and the condo was clean. It was large, but was missing furniture and had old stained carpet. The mirrored closet door in 2nd bedroom was broken and falling off the track with sharp edges so my kids could not use it. Paint was worn off of the top of the bar stools and trim was falling off the mirror in the master bedroom. Plus the arm of the sofa bed had a huge nail sticking out, my husband had to fix it. The patio was nice. We decided not to try to switch condos and we stayed there for the week. We did the timeshare presentation for $75 and were there over 2 hours, very high pressure from Abraham, but we have done them before (would NEVER buy at Diamond). Kids loved the pool and activities, dancing and got to hold a baby alligator. All in all, it wasn't too bad but Mystic Dunes would not be my first choice, definitely prefer Marriott properties (we moved to Marriott for our 2nd week).

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Tori D
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

My family went down to this resort for a week. It started off on the wrong foot because our rooms were not ready when we arrived, we requested 3 , 2 bedroom units they were trying to accomodate us in the same bldg but after waiting 1 1/2 hrs we asked for next avail which was only 1 bldg over. Once we got to our rooms it was very spacious. We were traveling with 4 adults and our 5yr old granddaughter. Clean accomodations and each unit was well equipped with all the necessary ammenities.king size bed with big jacuzzi style tub in master bedroom 2nd bedroom 2 full size beds with adjacent bathroom. Washer and dryer that we took full advantage of. Screened in patio was great. The kids took advantage of 4 pools located on the property. Tiki bar at the pool close to our unit. A variety of activities going on daily. Close to publix grocery store, target,Ross,Tjmaxx, dollar tree down the street. Daily shuttle to theme parks. Only drawback, charge for wi-fi and internet. We were diamond members so we didnt have to pay this charge. Golf course on the grounds.for those who enjoy the game. Several eating spots on the grounds to enjoy but also close to large variety of restaurants and fast food places close by. All in all the family enjoyed our stay. We Would definately stay again. The staff was great and very accomodating to our needs.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank KK-N-VA
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The overall property is beautiful and newly renovated; nice pools, waterfalls, even a slide! Nice poolside bars and a very nice staff. Unfortunately, if you get the standard one bedroom room, it is not much bigger than two closets tied together. The room needed some remodeling, and the shower head was a handheld that didn't hang on the wall. This would be a great room to crash in after a long day at the parks, but there are no windows except the one overlooking the parking lot and the kitchen is super tiny. We were there to just and not for the attractions. Next time if we select this location, we will make sure to upgrade to a Deluxe.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank KevinGraham
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Just come back from 3 wks in mystic dunes , location wise it's in a class place took 8 mins to get to Hollywood studios disney , stop in celebration great if your doing loads of disney , but the resort condos need updating , we stayed in 2 bed queen with balcony , the rooms are spacious and have everything u need , washer dryer etc , we asked for a updated room but never got as it looks like the timeshare visitors will get them as the resort wants them to purchase , travelcity direct had it as a 4 star but it's a 3 , better than a hotel any day but you can get better accommodation elsewhere , oakwater resort 1/4 mile up road better condos , and next door Windsor hills villas with your own pool , jealous every time you drive past them , disappointed no free wifi all I wanted was to check a few emails and travel card balance each night but they charged $10 a day

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Neal H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Celebration
Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration
Bohemian Hotel Celebration, Autograph Collection
Quality Suites The Royale Parc Suites
Comfort Suites Maingate East
Baymont Inn & Suites Celebration
1 mi away
Westgate Town Center Resort & Spa

Been to Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!