“Family Vacation - Check in disasters”

Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Celebration
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Arrived at 10.30am, check in is suppossed to be 4pm. So you could almost think a room would be ready by 4?. Not so, the room that we organised at 10.30 was still not cleaned by 5pm.

The reception and bell staff very pleasant but it was like this hotel just opened today for the first time, way under staffed. Eventually got a room, upgraded at least to pool views, but bags did not follow, I had to go downstairs 30 minutes later and pick them up myself, TWICE (4 big bags ).

The bag we had put in the the hotel fridge went missing until 8.30pm, with my wifes medication!

I just checked with Expedia online and now the same room is offered at around $140 plus a $25voucher. We paid well in advance to save, and paid over $200 for the same room. Makes you feel like you have been screwed over somewhat....

The hallways were cluttered with bags of sheets and towels from the cleaners, carpets dirty, and bell boys well overcome with a mass influx of work. Reception was lacking in staff as 2 people on front counter were available, but this was not enough at many stages throughout the day. Pleasant attitude, but overwhelmed.

This is day 1, I can only hope things get better. We just came from Marroitts Grande Vista, so expectations were high, but this hotel is lacking in service standards.

Room Tip: Pool view is much better but pointless if you are never home.
2  Thank Heasto
JetseP, General Manager at Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Heasto,

Thank you for your review of your stay here with us at the Melia Orlando. We pride ourselves on our service excellence, and I am disheartened to hear we have not met your expectation. I would appreciate if you would message me or please e-mail our guest relations manager privately so we may find out more details about your stay to ensure quality assurance and that the proper follow up is done. I apologize on behalf of the hotel you had anything less than an outstanding stay, and I look forward to corresponding with you more shortly.

All the best,
Jetse

Write a ReviewReviews (2,447)

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Once we finally got the correct Family Suite room (w/pool view), things went much better. House cleaning had inconsistent hours. The pull out couch was terribly uncomfortable. There was no complimentary coffee in the front lobby. There was no on-site exercise room. The pool was not a heated pool but there was a nice jaccuzzi. There was no free water, pool side. We just expected so much more from the Melia's typical standard of excellence.

Dear Ryco,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay here at the Melia! I am glad we were able to accommodate your request for a pool view family suite, and I do hope you enjoyed the room. In the pursuit of service excellence and outstanding guest service, I would like to request that you message me privately with your room number so we may look into the issue with the sink handle. Once again thank you very much for staying with us, and we hope you had a wonderful holiday!

Reviewed 26 December 2013

We reserved a suite with two queen sized bedrooms and two baths. We were there for three nights and rooms were cleaned and made up well with a nice view of an inner courtyard with a large pool. There was only one hair dryer in the suite which was a bit awkward in the mornings but we made do. It was obviously not a new hotel as the handle to the faucet in our bathroom kept falling off so on our last day, we left it off so maybe they will fix it for the next guests. All in all, we would stay there again as it was quite comfortable and an easy drive to the Disney Parks.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

We have had such an amazing experience here. The rooms are amazing; and oh my gosh the staff makes this place. From the amazing food to the free van to some of the shops.....totally worth the stay. Did I mention the staff; I wish I could take this place wherever I vacay.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jo K
Reviewed 16 December 2013

The rooms are beautiful and the service is outstanding. The pool area is wonderful and the bar employees are very friendly. Room service was good. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was spa like~!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Judith R
Reviewed 14 December 2013

This is my first time to stay at the Hotel, Though I have stayed in some great Melia hotels. This hotel is Melia only in name.

The primary reason for booking was the great location between Celebration and Disney.

At reception, I was charged a compulsory $15 resort fee for services I did not want. No prior notice. This is fairly dishonest. Compulsory hotel levied fees should be included in the rate, or at the very least advised in advance not at check in.

The hotel has very bizarre decor, a real mix of good quality and terrible quality, modern and traditional. A real jumble.

The room was not clean.

Bottom line for me, we had 2 young children and the room was full of dangers for young children.
Kids beds are very high.
All the chest of drawers have sharp metal handles that stick out.
The beds have sharp wooden edges that stick out 8" from the bed.
The distance between the chest of drawers and the bed is narrow.

I was pretty surprised that the Family Suite was so child unfriendly.

Not advisable for families with young children, there are sharp edges everywhere.

We could put up with it for one night, had this been a longer trip we would have checked out.

3  Thank StevieG807
JetseP, General Manager at Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear StevieG,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am sorry your experience was anything less than excellent. I want to assure you, the concerns you have raised are currently being investigated by our Housekeeping and Engineering departments. We have attempted to make our resort fee as visible as possible to our guests before booking, but I can understand your frustration when this was not what you were expecting. I do hope you enjoyed your time in Orlando, and I wish you safe travels. Please feel free to contact me directly, should you decide to return to Orlando.

All the best,

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Let's just say, when you see the website of how nice the rooms are and how low the price is you would think its to good to be true! Meliá offers the best services and rooms for a great rate! Gotta go!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Precious C

Dear Precious C,
Thank you for your recent review of our property. We hope you enjoyed your visit as much as we enjoyed having you! From the tapas in Fuego Restaurant to the live entertainers throughout the week, you know you'll always have a home to come back to here in Orlando.

Best Regards,
Jetse

Also consider these accommodations in or near Celebration
1 mi away
Caribe Royale Orlando
Caribe Royale Orlando
#91 of 340 in Orlando
Comfort Suites Maingate East

Been to Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration? Share your experiences!