“Fun and Delicious”

Havana Cafe of the Everglades
Price range: US$8 - US$24
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Description: Seasonal Restaurant: October 15 - Mid April Annually Romantic tropical garden cafe with lots of charm. Beautiful, spacious outdoor setting, screened in by palm trees & flowers. The gentle breeze creates a Key West feel. Where traditional Cuban staples and fresh Gulf of Mexico seafood are transformed into flavorful caribbean-style dishes with Carlos’ stamp of passion on each one of them. Breakfast 7-11 daily Start your day with the smell of fresh ground Cuban coffee laced with silky warm whole milk. Every breakfast includes fresh ingredients and authentic Cuban flavors. You’ll savor the Havana Omelette, The “Rena,” Chorizo Egg Sandwich or Steak & Eggs. Like hot sauce on your eggs? Try Carlos’ Hot Sauce and buy a bottle to take home. Lunch 11-3 daily Sandwiches are served on our pressed Cuban bread, made from scratch in our kitchen. The black beans start as dry beans and are cooked with no pork fat; the fish is caught daily from our family’s boat. Sweet Plantains or Tostones are perfect for sharing. Enjoy a mouth-watering sandwich such as Dulce’s Cuban, Grouper or Vegetarian Sandwich. Dinner 5-8 Fridays & Saturdays *Paella by Reservation Relax with soft lighting, music and savor special dinner entreés. Carlos’ creativity with spices and mixing flavors has perfected dishes such as Carlos’ Shrimp Plate, Stone Crab Enchilado, and Paella to name a few. Authentic Cuban flavor with an island flare. Reservations required for Paella, made from scratch with fresh ingredients.
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We stopped here for lunch after reading a review on Tripadvisor for the Everglades City area. The restaurant was very busy. We sat outside because the weather was beautiful. The outdoor patio is filled with bouganvilla and other tropical plants, making it feel like a courtyard. We ordered the vegetarian plate and a Cuban sandwich and shared them. The vegetarian plate had grilled vegetables, done perfectly. It also had black beans, white rice, and fried plantains - all delicious. The Cuban sandwich was the typical Cuban sandwich, with the traditional fillings. It was very good. We shared the flan, also very good. The service was fast but hurried, understandably, because it was so busy. We would definitely go back if we were in the area again.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

This is a pleasantly decorated restaurant/cafe, clearly prized by the locals for its food and its personable owner/chef and his family. They catch the fish and then cook it for you. I didn't get to try the media noche or cuban sandwich others have praised, choosing some (very) fresh grouper instead which was great with some rice and black beans on the side. My wife enjoyed the same grouper in a wrap with some cheese and vegetables--a great creation. I doubt there is a better choice anywhere in Everglades City or Chokoloskee Island for lunch.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

We were looking for a lunch place before taking the mangrove boat tour at Everglades State Park. The boat folks sent us to the Havana Cafe, 2 miles down the road on Chokoskee Island. We loved the Cuban sandwich, grouper chowder, and mussels in tomatoe sauce.
We sat outside on a very lovely patio. Appeared a lot of locals were coming for lunch, and we certainly know why. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

This place was recommended to me by my kayak guide. I had the mussels with red saffron sauce (one of the specials for the day). It was incredible. I used the mussels as spoons for the amazingly delicious sauce. My waitress also brought me a small bowl of rice to soak up even more of the juice. Great idea.

I also ordered a cuban sandwich to go, but didn't get a chance to eat it until the next morning. But it was REALLY good too. Even my parents who are really picky eaters said they liked it. And that was when it wasn't even as fresh! I can only imagine what it tasted like if I had eaten it as soon as I ordered it.

It's just a 5 minute scenic drive past Everglades City along the main road. Sit outside if you can. It's very nicely decorated.

A person who I assume is the owner/chef came out to talk to some customers. I overheard them talk about dinner which I think they only do on certain weekends. It sounded like he had some special things prepared. I totally would've come back if I weren't already on my way out of town.

The service is also good. My waitress seemed a bit stiff at first, but she really cares about the restaurant. She's just not the overly pleasant type, more straightforward, which I totally prefer. When I went inside to pay, everybody was in good spirits, singing and dancing at their job.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Cute little place. Sitting on the patio is pretty but pretty windy the day we were there. The set menu is small but they have a few specials each day. Food was cooked to perfection with good presentation.

2  Thank Deborah L