“Not as good as previous visit!”

Caretta on the Gulf
Reserve with OpenTable
Caretta on the Gulf is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 700 Restaurants in Clearwater
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Baymont Street
Clearwater, Florida
“Not as good as previous visit!”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Husband and I love this buffet/holiday Restaurant and at Christmas it was superb. So...we decided to visit at Easter with my daughter visiting on Navy Leave. At Christmas the meat was carved at stations and was cooked to perfection and served on your plate. This time there were NO CARVING STATIONS. I inquired about the lamb and filet, a chef graciously pointed me to the covered tureens in the adjacent room. The heat from these tureens being covered had overcooked EVERYTHING. The filet mignon tasted steamed and all well done, the duck had become tough. The lamb, seeing it had been carved rare, was still edible - yet practically tasteless. Their tureen managerie of spring veggies was wilted and tossed together. Of course their garlic mashed potatoes were always hot and ample - for those who enjoy garlic in their mash - excluding myself.

I was also disappointed in the dessert section - two cakes and a lot of fudge and easter cookies for the kiddies. We had made reservations in December for Mother's Day this Sunday, but think another choice is in order. I sincerely hope they go back to the carving stations and not pre-cutting all meats beforehand. Also did not appreciate paying $13 for a mixed drink and having a $42.00 tip added to my bill for 3 people, seeing it was mainly self-service. Forty-Two Dollars, really? When we had 3 different waitresses just picking up our plates.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank RhodyGal
JPNewport, Director of Food & Beverage at Caretta on the Gulf, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Guest,

In your review you mentioned a couple of your concerns that are particularly concerning to me as I was here all day on Easter and do not have the same recollections as you. I am wondering if you are reviewing the correct restaurant? You are correct, we did not have one carving station but FOUR carving stations on our Easter Buffet carving lamb, prime rib, turkey and ham. I also had an army of people here constantly replenishing the buffets so the food was always hot and fresh. I have actually not met a guest who did not love our garlic mashed potatoes so that will always be a staple at our holiday buffets. The reason you had three different severs at your table clearing your plates and replenishing your silverware was so that you can experience the best possible service and not meant as troublesome for you. Alas, we certainly fell short of your expectations and for this I truly apologize.

I will speak with our Restaurant Manager as well as our Executive Chef regarding the comments on the quality of food as well the follow up and recovery that apparently did not occur. This is normally something that we pride ourselves in.

I would love it if you would contact me personally here at the Resort if you return to this Resort again, as I see you are from Clearwater, so that I may introduce myself. If you would like to speak me personally regarding your dining experience, please feel free to contact my directly at the resort.

I want to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention, without me knowing something like this occurred in the restaurant; I would not have the opportunity to improve.

Regards,
Jonathan Pelletier
Director of Food & Beverage

Belize City, Belize, Belize
“Easter Brunch”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Went to Caretta's for Easter Brunch. Glad we did. The food was very good. Sushi, seafood along with the traditional. I would go back.

Visited April 2014
Ottawa, Canada
“Not the usual”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I'm not sure what happened on this visit. My husband and I have been there multiple times. We've always found it fabulous. But on this special visit, when wanting to take my parents out for the kind of dinner they could not afford, this wasn't a great experience.

There were 8 of us and we felt that Lance, our waiter, had a little bit of an air or seemed to think that we were not worthy of 5 star service. First, on our second bottle of wine, much to my surprise, he simply started pouring the wine into my unfinished glass without even having me taste first to see if the new bottle was as good as the first... mind you, I wouldn't care when at home, chances are very slim that a bottle would go bad, but still, in this kind of a restaurant, absolutely unacceptable.

The other issue was with some of our guests meat. Four individuals had steak, including my father. Three of them had to return them because their plates were cold. Unfortunately, my father being the kind of man he is, ate it anyway. I have a feeling that once again, this occurred because we seemed to have been pegged has not worthy and had to wait a long time for our main courses to arrive.

We'll probably still go back because we've never had a bad service before... or cold food for that matter, but I'll definitely think twice about inviting people to join us. It was a little embarrassing to invite people who had to pay these kind of prices for the service and cold food they ended up receiving.

denis ;-(

• Visited March 2014
JPNewport, Director of Food & Beverage at Caretta on the Gulf, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
My name is Jonathan Pelletier and I am the Director of Food & Beverage for Sandpearl Resort. Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent dining experience with us at Caretta on the Gulf. I am first off glad you enjoyed our restaurant in the past and made the decision to come back and join us again.

In your review you mentioned a couple of concerns. I am sorry Lance did not provide service befitting or restaurant. Our wine and Wine Spectator Awarded wine list is one of our prides here at Sandpearl and I apologize he did not ask you to sample the second bottle first. You are most certainly right, he should have offered you a taste on that second bottle. I will be speaking with both Lance and the managers to find out what happened there.

I will speak with our Restaurant Manager as well as our Executive Chef regarding the comments on the quality of food, namely the 4 steaks, as well the follow up and recovery that apparently did not occur. This is normally something that we pride ourselves in.

I would love it if you would contact me personally here at the Resort if you return to this area from Ontario again so that I may introduce myself. If you would like to speak me personally regarding your dining experience, please feel free to contact my directly at the resort.

Regards,
Jonathan Pelletier
Director of Food & Beverage
Tampa, Florida
“Nice ambiance”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The service was lovely-all the way from the hostess to the valet. The food was divine! the only thing I would recommend is adding more options for appetizers...like a specialty calamari or flatbread option. I particularly loved the "NANA BOWL"-wow-yummy ahi tuna! The most impressive was the view of the gulf and the sunset. We will definitely go back. We had reservations andI would definitely recommend doing that as well.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank TampaFamily5
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
“Sushi. Delicious. View amazing ”
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

It's at sand pearl resort which is a very beautiful high end place resort. The restaurant has a beautiful setting. Get the sushi even just as an appetizer. Some of the best I have tried. The surf and turf roll was out of this world. For dinner I had the grouper. It was Devine. The crab cake and scallops were good too. Can't go wrong.