“Lovely hotel but some issues”

DreamView Beachfront Hotel & Resort
Ranked #17 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Lanzarote, Spain
“Lovely hotel but some issues”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We loved our stay here.
The small private beach was safe for our kids who both have special needs.
Very comfy sun loungers and tasty cocktails but I was so shocked to see the margaritas were pre made frozen and packaged . Shocked haha
Now the beds were super comfy and the room decor was pleasant but the door leading to the balcony did not lock properly so it was a real issue with our kids.
Very scary as I was told all of the doors had the same locking mechanism .
Room service was tasty, as was the bar food.
The hotel needs redecorating badly in the public areas .
Not pretty at all.
I would return if they fixed those balcony door locks!
We are planning 2 weeks in Clearwater in 2015.
I hope so, as that little beach is wonderful for kids.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Rooms were clean and nice. Beds were quite comfortable! Had a king balcony/beach view 1st 2nites then switched to corner queen as we wanted to extend our stay for another night. Adam was very gracious and went the next step in finding another room for an unexpected night in an other wise full hotel. Elevators small but you're not sleeping there so who cares! Room had mini fridge that was just that. Sufficiently accommodated some leftovers and beverages. Don't expect it to be your refridge at home! Food and drinks a bit pricey but the staff and guests we enjoyed could not have been better! The entire staff was awesome from the front desk, to housekeeping, to the bar/restaurant staff. Shout out to Dave, Robert, my girl, Memory Clarice @ the Tiki Bar. The Beach is private, quiet and perfect for a smaller hotel but do get out there early as seating and umbrellas are quickly taken. Had a great time and would absolutely return!!!!! Thanks to all of you for a pleasant stay!!!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Worst location on Clearwater beach. The hotel itself was not very clean and the beds uncomfortable and old. It is located at the end in an inlet in a very small beach area where the water is just stagnant and your view is of the bridge. No access to walk the beach. If you are looking for a relaxing good quality vacation this is not the place to stay. We ended up leaving after the first day and going somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Larry D, General Manager at DreamView Beachfront Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear David,
Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay. We are sorry to hear that we could leave you with a delightful stay. Our private beach overlooks the beautiful Gulf of Mexico, with the Causeway to our left, and the main beach is a short walk away.

I do hope that while we couldn't meet your expectations, you enjoyed the rest of your trip and the Clearwater Beach area.
Larry D.
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The Wyndham Clearwater is clearly a renovated older hotel. This isn't necessarily a bad thing just dictates the size of things compared to more "modern" hotels. I will get the "gripes" out of the way first, but don't let that taint it for you.
The Elevators are TINY, the bathrooms are small, the beds are easily 8 feet off the ground (ok perhaps not 8, but a solid 3-4)... seriously the kids had to take a running start to get on the bed.
The room was nice otherwise, and with many beach hotels not carpeted. Quality of beds was nice but I think the Queen was really a Full. Room had a mini-fridge and a decent area for groceries (no microwave).
Pool was small but nice, you aren't coming here for the pool. The private beach is small but really one of the biggest private beaches around... just the right size for the size of the hotel really. Get down early if you want a beach chair and umbrella (no extra charge).
Food is typical beach gouging prices and ok quality. I would find a local restaurant for better prices and quality. "Happy Hour" merely gives you "normal" pricing for beer and wine.
Overall - a smaller hotel with less hustle and bustle and a bit off the beaten path. Not too far from all the busy stuff so you could walk (or take the Jolly Trolly!) but not so close as to be busy. I would def return, as I think the value was really there.

Room Tip: Beach view is probably better, but "harbor view" isn't too bad, view the beach FROM th...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Some good - some not so good. My family and I stayed at the Whyndam Garden for five days. Not one staff member smiled while we were there. The staff was generally friendly, but seriously, not one smile in five days! It sort of became a game for my family, to see if we could get anyone to smile (we were not successful). Is there some sort of rule against smiling?

I wasn't sure of the Whyndam, when we booked. We have stayed at bigger resorts in Clearwater Beach, so I was unsure of a smaller hotel. I was pleasantly surprised. Not nearly as chaotic and crowded as the bigger resorts, and that I really liked. Just a much more relaxed, not big business, enjoy yourself kind of feel. That, in itself, would have me coming back.

Make sure you are very clear about the type of room you want, when booking (and then triple check, just to make sure). We booked a beach / pool view room. We were very disappointed when we opened our door and saw a view of the parking lot (the parking lot side is loud, too, you hear every car that goes by). When we called the front desk, we were told sorry - no beach view room available. When re-stated that is what we booked, so how can it be 'not available', we were asked to find our original documentation saying that we booked the beach view room. But, it wouldn't matter, because there was no room available. With all of that said, the room was nice, clean and spacious. The beds are oddly tall (my kids had to jump or climb to get in bed), but comfortable. The bathroom, however, is tiny. If it were just two people staying in the room, it would probably be okay. But, for a family of four, and all of our toiletries and 'stuff' it was way too small. A little extra counter or shelf space would go a long way.

Pack your patience, when it comes to the elevators. This is the part of the hotel where it really shows that it is an old hotel, refurbished by Whyndam Gardens. The elevators are painfully slow, very small (if you are not claustrophobic, you will be after using the elevators), and really hot and stuffy. The is a serious lack of ventilation in the elevators.

The beach and pool area were clean and very enjoyable. It was nice that you could just sit on any lounge and not have to pay extra (many of the resorts charge a fee to sit on a lounge). The private beach is lovely. Since the Whyndam Garden is right by the bridge to Sand Key, many boats go by, and it is really nice to watch. You will also likely see dolphins frolicking, further out into the water. That was a nice bonus!

The hotel restaurant was ridiculously overpriced for mediocre food. Not worth your time at all. Many of the nearby restaurants have significantly better food, for about half the price charged at the hotel restaurant.

The 'Happy Hour' at the hotel bar was less than happy, and like the hotel restaurant, not worth your time. My understanding of Happy Hour is either free or very discounted drinks. The 'Happy Hour' prices at the hotel bar were the same as regular prices you would pay at most bars.

The business center could use some help. On our last day, I went to print off our boarding passes. The computer on the left is set up so you just click your airline, go right to their website, pull up your info., and print away. One would think this is a good thing. But, the printer would not print. I went to the front desk, to ask about it. A male employee tried to help, but admitted that he does not know a lot about the printers, and that the manager is in charge of that kind of thing (she was on the phone at the time). He could not get it to work. He got the other female employee at the font desk, who came and did the same as him, and mentioned the manager being responsible and on the phone. Neither of them was able to help at all, and asked that I wait for the manager (this process had already gone on for about fifteen minutes). After another five minutes, the computer timed out, and kicked me out. I just went to the computer on the right, opened a browser, and took care of it myself (the second printer worked). The manager never got off the phone, or tried to help. Customer Service was clearly not a concern of hers.

With all of this said, I would probably go back to the Whyndam Garden, for it's small hotel charm, alone. Next time, I will just quintuple check the type of room booked, and call prior to arrival to make sure they didn't give my room to someone else, again. Now that I know better than to waste my time and money at the hotel restaurant or bar, I will just skip them. Hopefully they will get more then one person trained on how to get the business center to work properly. I'm still going to try my best to get at least one of the staff members to smile!

Room Tip: Make sure you are very clear about the type of room you want, so they do not give it to someone else...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank WendyNC
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is our 2nd stay here & we loved it once again! Location was fabulous, room was great & private beach is what brought us here. Got incredible sun set pictures taken from our balcony & poolside. The staff was top notch, and high five to Dave, Stacy & Sasha!! We know we will surely stay here next time we come to Clearwater Beach!! We highly recommend this hotel !!

Room Tip: Loved that we stayed in a beachside room - view of the gulf from the balcony was awesome!
1 Thank Kathy W
Larry D, General Manager at DreamView Beachfront Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Kathy,
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your Anniversary getaway at our little gem. The sunsets and views are always a pleasant surprise - for we never know what each day will bring. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the friendly service and we will let Dave, Stacy and Sasha know. We hope to see you again! Till then, please join us on our Facebook page for specials and updates.

Best regards,