“A little cramped for two adults and two kids.”

Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key
Ranked #10 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed 19 July 2012

This was certainly a nice property in a great location. Lack of access to the beach was a problem. I booked this after looking at all of the pictures and descriptions online. The whole thing was much smaller than I thought. We rented a cabana for the day which was great for us whose skin can't handle too much time in the sun.

Room Tip: If you have more than three people, consider getting two rooms.
2  Thank John M
Julia B, Front Office Manager at Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. If you chose to come back, I want to let you know that we do have connecting suites as well which will provide additional space for the family members. I hope we will see you in the future!

Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,927)

Reviewed 17 July 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel during a conference. There are many good things to say and a just a couple not so good things. To start with, the rooms are very good size and the views are great. The staff was excellent and every time one of the hotel employees passed our family they would greet us. The pool area is fantastic and they offer Jet Ski and kayak rentals. The kids program is the best. Free activities inside an air conditioned kids center if they get tire of the pool or the weather turns bad. Crafts, Wii, scavenger hunts, you name it. For a small fee to cover supplies they can do a few other crafts. This was really nice because I had my family with me. The location is good with Columbia restaurant right in the same parking lot, a great little sandwich shop and Dunkin Donuts on the boardwalk at the hotel.

Now for the not-so-great. If I had one message to get to the hotel manager it would be this…pay more attention to the minor maintenance details. I’m not sure what the average room rates are (mine was paid for) but I understand they are about $200+ per night. For the location, the kids programs, etc., that’s not too bad. But at $200 a night I wouldn’t expect to see bubbling paint on the bottom of the bathroom doors, rust rings around the tub drains or covering the sprinkler system in the room, and worn coffee tables and cracked mirrors. The rooms are in good shape but at that price I have higher expectations.

Overall, if you can get this property at a decent rate and overlook some minor imprefections, it’s a good place to stay.

Room Tip: All rooms have a large balcony and views. Pick the third floor or higher.
2  Thank GatorTraveler2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am glad to hear that your family and children were busy with our wonderful Lisa's Clubhouse! We indeed have a lot of interesting activities for children, and it makes our resort a perfect family destination! We continuously work on room improvements. We are currently changing AC units, and finishing up the tub restoration. Hope to see you back!

Reviewed 13 July 2012

I Stayed at the Marriott for business reasons but I would bring my family. The hotel is not on the beach but they will drive you back and forth. The staff was great and very helpful. I would not eat at the resturant it was very expensive, lots of near by places that were really good. The bar was nice but the drinks were expensive and it closes early. The pool was awesome and the rooms had plenty of space to just kick back and relax.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to see that you had a good stay with us. I would definitely encourage you and your family to dine at out Watercolor Steakhouse. It is a worthy experience, and many of our patrons completely agree with the title "Best Steakhouse in Tampa Bay". Our Filet Mignon is simply the best!
Looking forward to welcoming you back,

Reviewed 12 July 2012

A nice Marriott in Clearwater Beach at Sand Key (NOTE - not ON the beach, but on the intercoastal). However, as Marriott Platinum guests, we have experienced a variety of resorts, vacation clubs and the like. In comparison, this one missed the mark on some elements of the room. Our particular room lacked some basic quality you would expect, and was in need of updating of some elements: (lamps would flicker on/off, shades were dirty and worn, carpet has some stains, paint needed refreshing, rust in the bath tubs, general lacking of Marriott standards for a resort). Rooms open from outside, but give you a suite type feel with a living room, with small fridge, microwave, sink.  Each room has a balcony facing the intercoastal/pool area.  Nice standard Marriott bedding and quiet room. We recommend a high floor for the best views. Staff was friendly and helpful. Platinum guests on a weekend received breakfast buffet tickets as they do not have concierge service at this location.

Pool area was the highlight and just fantastic. There was a large pool with lots of outdoor padded lounge chairs, area for pool volleyball, rock formations that provided waterfalls into the pool, a kiddie pool area and more! The exercise room was located above the pool area. A pool bar served drinks and food that was pricey, yet somewhat to be expected at a pool side location.  Food wait is about 15 minutes, even for a simple salad. Cabanas lined one side of the pool that were available for rent.  There was a children's activities area adjacent to the pool, a nice boardwalk that looked out onto the intercoastal, and even a jet ski rental.  Jet skis seemed expensive to us, at $65 for 30 mins.  NOTE: Beach access is provided via golf cart service, or by walking through the Sheraton parking lot across the street.

Breakfast buffet has fruit, pastries (toast, donuts, bagels, Danishes, muffins, etc), oatmeal bar, juices, yogurts, breakfast meats, eggs, and potatoes.  There is also a full breakfast menu that can be ordered on as well. Note: platinum buffet is only the fruit, pastries and oatmeal/cereal and there is a $9 upgrade for the meats and eggs.

Overall, this is a nice property, but again, some of the rooms need to be updated in order to reach a higher class or rating. Given we were back in this area, we would stay again, but just ask for an updated room.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor and on the end if possible!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback! I am pleased to hear that you had a good experience at our hotel. I want to assure you that we are continuously upgrading our rooms. Currently, we are in the process of restoring bath tubs and HVAC units.

We also have decreased the upgrade fee for the All-American Breakfast in our Watercolor restaurant from $9 to $5. Looking forward to see you come back!

Reviewed 9 July 2012

This was my second stay at the Marriot Suites. Again I was impressed with the hotel and staff. The lobby is pretty & the pool area lovely. All the rooms are suites - with the bedroom at the front with a nice balcony - with table & chairs overlooking the bay. The rooms are not luxurious and perhaps are a little dated, but they are clean and comfortable. They have mini fridge & sink & microwave & water is left everyday. I was there for a conference and then stayed over Memorial day weekend - 10 nights total. We had 2 children over the weekend also, in the sofabed area, and although is was a little cramped, we all fitted in. We had a very good rate with the conference so felt it was good value. Sand Key beach across the road is beautiful. I like Sand Key as it is away from the touristy part of Clearwater.

Room Tip: Higher floors get better views.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback about our hotel! I am very pleased to hear that you had a good stay with us. I will be sure to share your comments with the rest of our team. Please come back and see us again.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

As a Gold Member of Marriott we love this hotel. Many of the employees have been there for many years and remember us as repeat guests. The Lobby is very pretty and the guest rooms all have a great view and are fully equipped with a mini fridge, microwave and kitchen sink. The pool area is very nice with pool side wait staff for beverages and food. The hotel was very clean and the beds were very nice. Is within walking distance to many shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: We love staying on the 9th floor overlooking the pool and bay area.
1  Thank April L

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback about our hotel! I am very pleased to hear that you had another great stay with us. We love our repeat guests!!! I will be sure to share your comments with the rest of our team. Please come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2012 via mobile

Just got back from a week at this Marriott. Upon initially seeing the property I was slightly concerned as its different than other marriots ive experienced. As gold members we used reward points for our stay. A few concerns as others have mentioned: outside room entrances, rooms a bit outdated, hotel decor outdated, not directly on beach. Yes our king suite could use some modern updates like decor, bathroom, etc. but it was very clean, staff very helpful and we became more comfortable with outside entrance. The pool area is fantastic and my son preferred the pool vs a beach anyway so it worked out great for us. They have children's activities during the days also. Pool bar, limited food menu, but drinks and staff very attentive. Short walk away are shops, restaurants (seafood, Latin American, pizza, breakfast and dunkin donuts). Request higher room to avoid pool noise. Also we went and "reserved" (put towels on) our pool chairs around 8-830 each day to get some shade w an umbrella for part of day. Breakfast buffet was reasonable and good. Can't speak for dinner or room service as we did not order. Overall I would recommend to a friend. Microwave, mini fridge, sink in living area of suite. Doors to close off bedroom area.

• Stayed: July 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review about our hotel! I am very pleased to hear that you had a great stay with us. I will be sure to share your comments with the rest of our team. Please come back and see us again.