“Great place for family getaway”

Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key
Ranked #10 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Love the fact that you have two rooms and a small kitchenette. Vacationing with family in September the location made things a lot easier. We were close to everything that we wanted to visit. Rooms were clean, staff friendly, and pool just perfect. Another nice feature was kids club. You can drop off your kids, and enjoy some quiet time.
breakfast was amazing. Everything was fresh.
Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Matt K
TPAMS, Manager at Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Matt K,

Thank you for the time taken to review your stay with us.

I am glad you throoughly enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

jan.vanco@marriott.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,930)

Reviewed 13 January 2014

This property is probably best for people or families that want to relax. It is not on the beach but really close if that is what you want. We keep going back because of the great pool, waterfall [cheap massage], hot tub, poolside bar and food service, cabanas. and nice staff. We are pool people and love the relaxing pool area with comfortable padded lounges and umbrellas when wanted. There is a local café within easy walking distance that is just great! There are also nice shop there also + a pizza shop and ice cream shop. All rooms have a good view of the bay and higher rooms will allow some ocean views.

Room Tip: These are suites so simply choose to meet your needs- probably need to book ahead fro King beds.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank underdogcoach

Dear Underdogcoach,

Thank you for the time taken to review your stay.

I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and we certainly hope we will get to welcome you back at Marriott Suites Clearwater Beach again soon.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

This hotel was an older, outdated facility. I was immediately disappointed by the experience because it was not up to the traditional Marriott standards. Additionally, the blankets were not soft (like the white cotton blankets) offered at Marriott Key West (they spoiled me) with that experience. These were rough and heavy…not typical for Florida, but you need a blanket with the rickety air conditioner….again, totally not what I had expected.

Pool was great and breakfast in the morning was great.

The room was musty and the pull-out sofa mattress was not very comfortable.

The bathroom just had a slider door - not very private.

I strongly disliked the door to the room (it was outside entrance) and was an old door.

I probably would not stay here again.

I also was disappointed with the beach access. Better beach spots were available by driving to public areas along Clearwater beach.

Marriott needs to renovate this property. Additionally, the business floor had no working internet on the computers and no one to help troubleshoot. Felt like I had the "C" team staff on shift.

Huge disappointment after visiting the Marriott Key West. I am a Marriott-loyal brand customer, but this is not really up to par.

Room Tip: The rooms all are the same - they just need to be renovated.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Christa S
TPAMS, Manager at Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Dear Crickey1851,

Thank you very much for the time taken to review your stay. I apologize that you were not fully satisfied with your stay.

I would really appreciate if you could reach out to me directly, as I have couple of questions to clarify some of the issues you experienced.

Once again my apologies that you did not enjoy your stay with us and we appreciate your loyalty to Marriott. I am looking forward to hearing from you hopefully soon.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed here for New Year and were very disappointed as we have previously stayed in much better Marriott's. The rooms are long and thin and you enter them all from back of building were you have a lounge then bathroom and then bedroom. The window overlooks the bay which provides a great view. The rooms are ok for two but quite small and cramped if sharing with two teenagers. The biggest problem is that everything is way past it's best. The patio door to the balcony needed both hands to open as heavy old and stiff. The shower is in the bath and has no power. Door to bathroom is sliding door which gives no privacy at all!
Our door lock broke twice during our stay and the loo once. The lobby and restaurant has had a modern upgrade but the rest of the hotel is badly in need of one.
The pool area is a little small for this size hotel and when sun out sun beds are hard to find. The other problem is after it rained the cushions on the beds did not dry out quickly and although they looked dry once you sat on them you soon got wet.
The hotel is next to bay with beach 5 mins walk but not much there and Clearwater beach a better bet but 15 walk to trolley ride.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Galloppinggourmet

Dear Galloppinggourmet,

Thank you for the time taken to review your stay. I am sincerely sorry you did not enjoy our property as much as we would like.

We appreciate your constructive feedback. We value all reviews and use it to plan for future changes and upgrades to our property.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We recently planned a business party and meeting at this hotel and our expectations were truly exceeded! The staff was more than helpful in every aspect and helped to make sure everything was set up just right! The food we ordered for the meeting and party was delicious! The hotel itself is beautiful and all of the rooms have a scenic view. We had a great time!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Nhalter,

Thank you for the time taken to review our hotel.

I am happy you truly enjoyed your stay at our property and it was our pleasure to serve you during your stay and meeting. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

My family and I have done several very nice cruises over the last few years; we've enjoyed all of them. This is the first time I've ever stayed at a hotel resort that looked and felt like we were at sea... just docked for a while :)

What a unique location and setting with just gorgeous views in every direction - either Gulf of Mexico or Clearwater Harbor. Whoever originally sited this project knew what they were doing. The hotel is on Sand Key, a narrow spit of land, just south of Clearwater Beach's main downtown, so most restaurants, attractions, and night life are literally minutes away.

Check-in was painless, professional and quick.

The hotel offers full automobile valet service, however, there's a convenient free parking lot (with night lighting) about 200 feet north of the main entrance, so we just used that during our trip.

Our party of four (mom, dad, 2 daughters) was assigned to room 615. Like most of the rooms in this hotel, it's a "mini-suite".

You enter into the living room area which has a sofa bed, arm chair, cocktail table, corner table with lamp, consul with wide screen HD TV, and a wet bar with decent fridge, microwave, coffee maker, ample storage and full sink. Next you enter into a short companionway between the living area and the bedroom. This has the entrance to the bathroom with toilet, sink, counter, and shower/tub and opposite is an adequate closet with two mirrored sliding doors.

Our bedroom had two double beds (reasonably comfy), a night stand and lamp in between, a desk with executive chair, and a dresser with another HD widescreen TV. there's a floor to ceiling sliding glass door leading to a small patio with a table and two chairs (big enough for coffee or drinks but you wouldn't want to try to dine here, unless it's sandwiches). Stunning full 180 degree view, north and south, of Clearwater Harbor.

Always a treat to watch the action out on the harbor; never a bad moment.

The changing light of day, the boats on the water, the seagulls, and the prevailing weather make for an amazing palette of sights. The view from these rooms is absolutely reminiscent of that from the balcony of a fine cruise ship.

The room decor is definitely "dated" and in need of refurbishment, but our housekeeper did a wonderful job of keeping our room fresh and tidy; she was an absolute delight and very dedicated to our comfort (Shirley, I believe). For us, we could put up with the dated decor in exchange for the fabulous view and location.

Biggest room annoyances: no towel racks for wet towels (don't know that there is any space to put one??) and an absolutely crappy mattress on the pull-out sofa bed. It's nothing more than lumpy springs wired together covered with mattress ticking. I was so annoyed I seriously considered buying a replacement mattress and donating it to the hotel. These are not expensive to acquire; I have no idea WHY they have not been replaced YEARS AGO.

The property has a lovely, modern Lobby area with an understated, casual feel to it.

Bob, the senior valet/bellman (he's been there 10 years) is very helpful, very knowledgeable, and seems to be a good go-to guy for any miscellaneous needs. There is also a very professional and helpful Concierge on duty during the days.

The Lobby has a special feature in the form of Lisa, a blue Macaw bird.

Lisa sits on a custom-built perch opposite the front desk and holds court with various visitors and guests. She doesn't speak much yet, but she's still young at 2 years or so. I always made a point of stopping by to say "hi" to her on my way in or out of the hotel. Best not to touch her; she appears generally friendly and curious about people, but has been known to bite on occasion. She is still being socialized...

Food and Beverage: The hotel has a formal bar and restaurant with very fine booze and award-winning steaks. The breakfast buffet is amazing, albeit pretty expensive. There is also a casual, thatched hut bar, Kokomos, and food service available by the pool. We used this several times and were very pleased. The marinated shrimp cocktail, grouper sandwich, and chicken caesar salad were particular stand-outs. There's a very polite and efficient middle age blonde waitress who cheerfully attended to our needs pool-side and who was always very helpful.

Amenities: The swimming pool is free-form with a rock waterfall; the temperature was perfect-no shock getting in. There's a nearby jacuzzi hot tub that seemed to be very popular all the time. There are some very generously sized cabanas around the pool that are available for rent. There are plenty of towels made available. There is an on-site rental facility for Sea-Doos and Wave-Runners, etc, but we didn't use them. Also, there is also a day spa in the complex, but we had no time for it.

One of the best features of this hotel, location-wise, is its adjacency to a small strip mall to the immediate south, which it shares a harbor-front boardwalk with.

There are several nice souvenir shops, a couple of men's and women's casual wear stores, a deli, a cafe, and two bar/restaurant locations.

The cafe, Maggie Mae's, serves a great breakfast (try their various versions of eggs Benedict) with generous portions and affordable prices; it's very popular with the locals. At the end of the boardwalk is Backwaters, a bar and restaurant with great food and a deck on the water. We ate there twice and enjoyed all of it. Be sure to try their fried calamari and dipping sauces... YUM!!

Although the hotel is across the street from the beach access, getting there is no problem.

Just ask the valet desk to shuttle you over in one of their golf carts. They leave you off at one of the widest and most white sand beaches I've ever seen. The beach is in front of the neighboring Sheraton hotel across Gulf Blvd.

There's a very friendly and accommodating guy out at the beach (Bill I think) who will rent you a beach cabana for $25 for the day; $20 for the half day (cash); it includes a couple of chaises and chairs. Well worth it; the cabana acts as an excellent wind-screen and allows you to feel warm in the sun even when the air temp is just in the high '60's or low '70's.

Internet Access: Hands down, the worst aspect (and most easily fixable) of this hotel is its crappy wireless internet service. Two tin cans and string... or smoke signals from the beach would have worked better - seriously.

The internet at this property is not particularly useful for someone who wants or needs to do business while on the road.

The wireless router is accessible most anywhere from the rooms to the Lobby to the Pool area, but there is little throughput of bandwidth. What's the point of gaining access if the speed is super slow and "cantankerous".

I've spent 65 nights in various hotels since September.... and this hotel's wireless internet is absolutely shameful and bespeaks of cheap owners or operators looking to scrimp somewhere.

I live in Spearfish, South Dakota (out in the remote Black Hills region); my bandwidth at home is 10 times that which I was receiving at this Marriott in a major Florida destination.

Further, I just sold a restored 100 year-old commercial property in Butte, MT where I provided 100 megabit wireless internet service to my seven (7) tenants.

And it wasn't my computer or the settings; I had the same issue here irrespective of whether I was using an iPhone, an iPad Air, or my MacBook Air laptop. And it wasn't time of day with "too many users sharing the connection"; I got up at 5 AM (when no one else was up) and it was still very bad.

Either this hotel's wireless IT needs an overhaul or they've screwed down the bandwidth to the point it's not very useful.

I suspect it's a running complaint, because when I brought it up to the Front Desk I got some polite, yet oblique non-responsive answer (along with an extremely telling slight eye roll).

Overall Summary: Besides its superior location, the major stand-out of this property is it's fine staff.... who ALL are very accommodating, polite, and friendly.

Special thanks to Onur, the Turkish-born Front Desk Manager (he's a gem and very refined) who helped me properly decipher, pronounce, and better understand some Turkish words I had read in Dan Brown's novel Inferno. Christopher, Onur's side-kick was very polite and helpful, as well.

Also, I'm an early riser and, Alba, the Honduran woman who runs the early shift at the Starbucks Coffee and Gift Shop (opens at 6:30 AM) just off the Lobby, ALWAYS made sure I got my coffee at the earliest possible moment... so completely thoughtful and considerate, because she knew I had already been up and working at the Lobby table for an hour or more prior to her opening up for business... and just pining for my first cup of java :)

Yes, we would definitely return for another family visit, but I will ask if they have fixed their internet access issue.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank SamKephart

Dear SamKephart,

Thank you for the time taken to write this amazingly thorough review.

We appreciate all the comments, good and constructive and will work on improving in the aspects that we did not impress you on. We are in process of upgrading our internet system and this problem should be remedied very soon.

Once again thank you for your review and also for mentions of some of our associates. We all hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We rented two rooms in December just before Christmas. Our rooms were outdated, had several maintenance issues, and were moldy smelling. The light bulbs needed to be replaced, the refrigerator did not work, there were not any plug-in's by the bed for medical equipment, and the faucets dripped. The rooms both just smelled musty and old.

The common areas were well maintained a beautiful. You get a view of the bay from your room balcony and a beautiful view of the ocean from just outside your room door if you are on a top floor, as a Platinum Elite member who stays in a lot of Marriott properties, I was really disappointed in this one.

Room Tip: I would try to get a room on the south end. The view is much better of the common areas and all the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Tamara F

Dear Tamara F,

Thank you for the time taken to review your stay. I am sincerely sorry you did not enjoy your stay as much as we would wish.

Your feedback is extremely important to us and we appreciate your loyalty to the Marriott brand. We have taken your comments to heart and will work on improving our product so it can serve you better.

Once again, my sincerest apologies that you did not enjoy your stay thoroughly.