“Great hotel! Excellent Service and WONDERFUL buffet breakfast!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key

Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key
Ranked #15 of 95 Hotels in Clearwater
Bloomington, Minnesota
“Great hotel! Excellent Service and WONDERFUL buffet breakfast!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a long weekend a few weeks ago as a couple!!!!

We really enjoyed this hotel! You get views from all sides of the hotel... From the back patio you have a wonderful view of the ocean. We were on a higher floor originally with a magnificent view of the ocean! Unfortunately we had a to change rooms because of the bed sizes, and went to a lower floor. At first it seemed like a bummer, because we were over the pool area (although we still had a view of the ocean). As it turns out, we LOVED it!!! From our rooms you heard nothing coming from the pool area. Not to mention, the pool area is gorgeous when looking down on it. The room is large with a kitchen area, so you can bring home left overs.

The hotel is a little older... but they've kept it up well.

The best part of the stay is the breakfast buffet! WOW!!! Now that's some great food. The wait staff is the absolute best.... We had the same waitress 2 days straight (I wish I remembered her name) she was fast efficient and fantastic. Then we had another waitress (she was from St. Thomas, Virgin Islands) and was surprisingly just as great. The host and hostesses were also super fantastic. The entire staff there was amazing.... from the front desk to the ladies cleaning the rooms. Top notch!!!!! Would absolutely stay here again!

Room Tip: We had two rooms, two different floors, two different views and both excellent! I really don't...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

This hotel does not have direct beach access, but this was not a problem for us, as the walk over the road to Sand Key beach was less than 500meters. The big advantadge of Sand Key is that it is just out of Clearwater Beach area, which is a busy and a times noisy area.
The one thing that we were not aware of when we booked was that remodelling of parts of the hotel would be going on during all of our stay. I did complain about the noise to the Duty Manager and he was very apologetic and offered us complementary breakfasts for the rest of our stay. So full marks to the Hotel staff! Good pool but a little crowded when busy. Food good but evening meals on the pricey side. Clean rooms all with a good view over the bay, but the rooms situated on the left side of the building have the large kitchen airconditioning plant below them, and it is noisy. We did have a good holiday, just in case you thought otherwise!

Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

Camberley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights leading up to the Memorial Weekend and the Sand Key location is much less frenetic than the main Pier 60 area - especially with the weekend traffic which was manic there crossing the bridge.

Check in was easy and Mike was extremely helpful and personable, especially sorting the internet for us - in fact every member of staff we encountered couldn't have been more pleasant. Our room on the top floor had great views over the bay (we did have a choice of either bay or pool view) and it was nice sitting on the balcony in the afternoon when the sun had moved round towards the beach.

Our room was plenty big enough and when I looked at other reviewer comments re refurbishments, ours must have been done because it was fine, it certainly beats a standard room. You could tell the balcony sliding doors and railings were new. There were plenty of nice fresh new towels and bathroom amenities were replenished daily. The bed and pillows were comfortable and there were plenty of sockets in the bedroom but not in the lounge area so my wife couldn't charge her ipad and use it at the same time in there. The evening bed turn down and chocolate was a nice touch and the aircon was efficient. The kitchen area has a fridge, microwave and sink but no cutlery/crockery etc - we stopped off at Walmart and purchased some cheap stuff which we left behind. Also, if you're a UK visitor there's no kettle but for around $12 Walmart provided (left from the hotel/across the Belleair bridge/keep going until the main Highway 19 and it's on the right directly after and behind the McDonalds). There are Publix stores closer but for the bits we wanted, it was worth the extra 6 miles drive for us.

The pool area doesn't give much shade and so we mainly went out during the day and went to the beach around 6pm for an hour or so. It was also noisy round the pool and crowded but that was probably due in part because of Memorial weekend although the loud music didn't help but kids seemed to enjoy themselves. We did spot dolphins on the bay from our balcony as well as from the pool boardwalk - evidently manatees and sharks have also been spotted but not by us. I accept some reviewers have commented re the location which is not on the beach but personally the view from our room and balcony was great with plenty of water activity to watch. To get to the beach you can take the free hotel buggy transport or take the short walk - pedestrian crossing, left and down the grassed public access route between the Sheraton car park and Condos. The beach is not as good as the main Clearwater area but it's shallow for a long way out.

if I had any gripes they would be - lack of crockery/cutlery/kettle for use in the kitchen, non guests using the pool and parking facilities, occasional cleaning trolley/guest pull along case noise on the walkway outside the room, lack of sockets in the lounge area. However, any negatives were far outweighed by positives.

All in all I would recommend this hotel and be happy to stay again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nnmercman
Austin, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

Although it is a small walk across the street to the beach, maybe a 1/4 mile. This was a very nice hotel. It sits on the inter coastal so the view is beautiful from the from the front the back. It is a little off the strip (maybe a mile) although this has it's benefits if you like a little quieter atmosphere. There a re a few restaurants that are within walking distance that are good and reasonable. My preference is to be a little closer to the strip where you have more reasonable food and shopping alternatives. The pool is gorgeous and the jet skis are available on property for the guests to go out in inter coastal. Food was good but very pricey which was to be expected for this property. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Maczuga K
Blue Springs, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed 2 nights at the Marriott Suites on Sand Key for my birthday weekend. Magaly at the front desk was very helpful and friendly each time I interacted with her, as were the rest of the staff. We had a gorgeous view from our room on the 9th floor. I loved that you got a view of the Gulf from the front door and the bay from the back. The room was clean and very spacious. Even though it is an older hotel, the rooms didn't seem terribly dated.

The first night we walked next door (via a boardwalk by the pool) to Columbia for dinner. We did not use the beach shuttle because we prefer Indian Rocks Beach (about 4 miles south) for relaxing and swimming. There was a small convention while we were there and they had part of the pool deck reserved. You could hear the music in the bedroom faintly with the door closed, so if you are a light sleeper I would request a high floor as I would imagine it would be louder in the rooms below ours.

I got a great deal on this room through Priceline. The normal rate seems very high to me, and if I had to pay that much I'm not sure we would have stayed in this hotel. As nice as it is, there's too many other places competing for my business to pay so much per night. All in all, it was a wonderful weekend, and for the right price I would stay here again.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank missymae1979
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

I am always cautious when going somewhere new so I love reviews to help. I am actually here at the hotel and felt compelled to write this while still here

Service is excellent you do not have to beg for towels in the room or at the pool
Speaking of the pool- awesome and no issue finding seats
Rooms- as I read before the rooms are in need of updating but that is what I expected and for the quality of the stay I had no issue with this
Cost of everything is a bit higher in the area so plan for that- not a big deal just add in extra in budget
Beach is not right there but they run you over so this was no issue
Beds were very comfortable and I stay in hotels every week
Showers was no frill but hot and powerful
I had one issue with my room and they have continued to make sure I have been fine - this is hard service to find in a beach type setting.

To the manager of this hotel...commend your staff for a job well done!!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Jennifer G
Whitestone, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

My wife and I are Marriott Reward Members and we decided to spend 5 days here when we had the opportunity to visit the area. We found the staff to be excellent, While I have found all Marriott staff members to be excellent, the personnel at this hotel was even a notch above the rest. The hotel is in an excellent location on Sand Key. The public facilities and the pool area are first class. This property was not originally a Marriott so I believe that is why some reviews have concerns about the rooms. My wife and I commented that this could not have been originally a Marriott since it was not in the style we had come to know. That being said I would definitely return if I am ever in the area again. My suggestion to them would be to upgrade the bathrooms before doing the sliding doors. The bathrooms, while very clean, need to be modernized to the Marriott standard. This is the only thing that prevented me from giving this property a 5. Additionally, Marriott should downgrade the rating to a 5 or 6 until improovements are made.

Room Tip: All higher rooms have great views
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family