Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key
La Quinta Inn & Suites Tampa Bay Clearwater AP(Clearwater)(Great Value!)
US$96
La Quinta Inn Clearwater Central(Clearwater)(Great Value!)
US$112
US$234
US$201
Quality Hotel Clearwater Beach Resort(Clearwater)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$106
US$103
US$193
1,962 results
All reviewssand keypool areaacross the streetclearwater beachcolumbia restaurantmaggie maesdunkin donutsview of the baykids clubjet skijolly trolleyliving areapoolside barsaw dolphinsthe sofa bedhigh floorhotel restaurant
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I loved this hotel. I thought the rooms and hotel itself had one of the nicest layouts of any Marriott I've ever been to. I liked the outdoor access to the room (I hate labyrinths of hallways) and was even more pleased to find a balcony when I walked into my room. The sitting area and mini-fridge were all little touches I'd not expected but thoroughly appreciated.
The pool area is beautifully landscaped and all of the staff seemed to be top notch.
Great job!

Room Tip: I was at the far end of the hotel, right above a very loud AC unit. I would recommend a room more central to the hotel to escape that noise. It runs all the time and really is very loud.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BeckyCakes
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We have just returned from a week at the Marriott which followed a week at Orlando. We arrived in the afternoon and were welcomed by the most lovely staff (MikeL and Sarah) who were so kind and friendly with my 3 kids. There were 7 of us in total and we had adjoining rooms on the 6th floor. My instant reaction when we entered the room was to be amazed at the stunning view. We looked over the Intercoastal and it was just gorgeous ... this was helped by the fact that we arrived on the 4th July and there were fireworks going off everywhere. A wonderful sight!!

There are so many positives to mention - 1. Fantastic staff who helped in every way they could. My kids took a particular shine to MikeL who was so kind and patient with them when they bounded up to tell him about what they had been up to that day. He made them feel very special. 2. The room was very spacious with 3 bouble beds (one a sofa bed). 3. View was stunning. 4. The location may not suit everyone but I liked the fact that at Sand key we were slightly away from the busy centre of Clearwater, but it was only a 5 min trolley ride to get there in the evening. 5. There are 3 or 4 great places to eat just along the boardwalk at the back of the hotel with shops to cover the basics. 6. Breakfast was tasty and there was a lot of choice. 7. The pool area was great for the kids and we never had an issue getting a lounger even at 11am or so each day... The food at the bar restaurant was fabulous.

There are some areas that could be improved. If you look closely the decor could do with updating in the rooms, the balcony door was stiff and the sofa bed was uncomfortable. An adult couldnt have slept there but it was fine for my youngest child. All these things though can easily be overlooked and are far outwieghed by the positives.

As an aside, we never had any issue with noise. Other members of my family were in the adjoining room and I know how loud they can be, but we heard nothing, only perhaps the sound of other people coming back to their rooms in the evening, but never a problem.

Overall it was great and we will definately return one day! Free wifi would be a nice extra :-)

Room Tip: Rooms above 3rd floor or so will give fab views
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Rachel L
Reviewed 14 July 2014

2 night weekend stay, mid-july, (2 couples no kids, 2 rooms, 8th floor).
First impressions:
We were greeted instantly and pleasantly by staff, however there was some construction going on at the entrance. Immediately upon driving up, we realized all room access was on the outside of the building. In Florida heat with Florida storms, this is not ideal, and doesn't feel like a "resort." You get dressed up for the evening and are blasted with oppressive heat and humidity, or a torrential evening thunderstorm. This is an older building.
The room:
The room was as shown on photos, with extra room containing couch, chair, sink, mini fridge, microwave, coffee table and TV. Bedroom OK, but I like to unpack from my suitcase, and the inside of the drawers had hair and dirt in them. No thank you! Our entrance window gave a view of the resorts on the beach and the gulf behind, our bedroom balcony overlooked the pool and the bay. The bathroom did not have a towel bar, or towel hook, only the retractable clothes line on which to hang anything. SO, if you wanted your towel to be handy and on a clean surface, forget it. You had to climb out of the shower dripping wet and get your towel from the shelves under the sink. Like most hotels, they suggest reusing towels to be eco-friendly (if you are inclined to), but where would I dry my towel? On a fabric cord in the shower? Hanging on a door? Yuck! You couldn't even hang a robe if you wanted to. I don't think hardware to hang towels/robes/clothes on is too much to ask for an almost $300/night "resort."
There is not a safe inside the room. If there is anything you don't care to leave in your room without being secured, you can rent a box from the front desk. Hugely inconvenient, yet another expense, and forget privacy. Seriously, jewelry, prescription medicine, cash/cards are not things I want available to anyone that has access to my room, but they are all things I need to be able to access regularly. What a hassle!
The door to our room had over an inch gap at the bottom in which we could see the entire gulf view or see/hear anyone's feet passing by (and if they kneeled down, they could see/hear everything in our room). This let the cold air out and the bugs in (another downfall to external entryway). We told the front desk, and the problem was fixed immediately (maintenance came and removed weather strip/replaced with new one) and we were given compensation cards for free drinks. I was disappointed that something like a secure door was even an issue here, but the staff provided a professional and immediate solution.
The pool/poolside bar:
We spent time Saturday and Sunday at the pool. In the morning, approaching the chairs, it was obvious they are not cleaned off for the guests. The chairs both days were FILTHY, covered in tree droppings, bugs and bird poop. In addition, during our pool time, there was no one maintaining the deck (guests leave drinks, piles of dirty towels, trash and it just stays there).
Saturday, we never saw anyone walking around to bring drinks. After over an hour, we walked to the bar and ordered, waited for our food and then carried it to our chairs. (resort?) While waiting on our order, we did notice 2 people in blue shirts that were working the pool area, but apparently limited themselves to the area immediately surrounding the bar. In our 3 hours there, even after we came back to our seats (near the volleyball net in pool), we never saw anyone on the other side of the pool (on a Saturday?!!). Also, the menu was extremely limited. We ordered boneless wings, they were ok. Sunday, we sat closer to the bar and were able to flag down a server to bring us drinks. Her service was great, the bloody mary I ordered was delicious.
For a "resort" that is bayside, competing with the beachfront Gulf resorts, I would expect the pool area to be much better staffed and maintained! (Even without the beachfront competition...for the price paid and the way the Marriott advertises this location, the poolside experience was well below my expectation in service and maintenance). We walked through the Sheraton Sand Key resort on our way to the beach (directly across the street and beachfront). The poolside and bars looked much more appealing and when we were booking our trip it was listed at $60 less per night ($230 instead of $290).
Wifi: not included in exorbitant price
Our friends are Elite Gold Marriott members so they were rewarded free breakfast...turned out to be continental breakfast. Best Western offers that, where is the Elite reward?
Staff:
The handful of staff members we encountered were excellent and accommodating. With the exception of being grossly understaffed at their biggest amenity, when we received service it met my Marriott expectation.
In summary, our stay was NOT a good value for what we were expecting. For the price we paid, the experience should have been much better. The biggest amenity they boast is poorly maintained and understaffed. We paid resort prices and had a hotel experience. Marriott needs to reevaluate the meaning of "resort" and perhaps do a little comparison shopping at the competition. I do not plan on returning to this location at this rate. HALF the rate and I'll bring the kids and consider it a good value.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the top half to experience views of both the bay and the gulf.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Amy C
TPAMS, Manager at Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Amy C.,

Thank you for your very thorough review. We appreciate all the comments, positive or negative. All constructive feedback is used to improve our products and services and you have provided plenty, which will help us get better. I am sorry you were not impressed with some aspects of your stay.

I would only like to clarify one thing, the safety deposit boxes are provided complimentary to our guests.

Once again thank you for your review and for sharing your information with us so we can improve.

At Your Service,

Jan Vanco
Assistant General Manager
jan.vanco@marriott.com

Reviewed 14 July 2014

How many times have I gone to resorts and was served terrible drinks and food? Jeff outside at the pool bar at the Marriot in Clearwater Beach literally made me the best Margarita I've had in probably three years -- on the FIRST try! I was an unsuspecting patron just ready to be served any old Patron Margarita and WHAM! out of the blue my taste buds explode in yummy margarita happiness! Like, Jeff is seriously worth his weight in gold -- I've been waiting a long time to be served a Margarita somewhere outside my own home that surpasses my own standards.

Their chicken tenders were made with actual strips of chicken. They were so good the breading was falling off the moist chicken meat... Their veggie wrap was healthy and digestible and breakfast in the morning was decent -- the best part was the freshly squeezed Florida orange juice. If you like quality orange juice in the morning please do attend breakfast there.

Anyway, the pool is quaint, the atmosphere is gorgeous. The hot tub is hot and secluded.

The views from this hotel are absolutely gorgeous. It's situated close, but far enough away from the *ruckus* of downtown Clearwater beach that you can enjoy the splendorous views of the beach, bay and bridges in between without the crazy traffic, noise and general shenanigans that comes along with downtown Clearwater beach. That is of course unless you want to head into that they do provide shuttle/trolley service!

The staff is incredibly wonderful -- I've never been in the presence of more competent people employed by a hotel. They always asked if we needed anything and seemed genuinely happy to be employed there. They must be paid well! That's the mark of an excellent place -- the employees LOOK taken care of! That definitely reflects well.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Leslie H
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed four nights after a holiday in Orlando. We arrived not knowing what to expect, having read the mixed bag of reviews this hotel attracts. I am pleased to say our experience was overall very positive. Having stayed on Sand key in the past we knew the hotel position, which has fantastic views overlooking Clearwater harbour. We requested and were given a room on the sixth floor, which is about half way up, so we got the views we expected; even saw dolphins in the harbour from the balcony. The beach is across the fairly quiet road and involves a 5 minute walk, going alongside the sheraton hotel (public path) and you are there! We spent two evenings on the beach watching the sunset and on one of them were graced with dolphins leaping in the sea - priceless! As far as I am concerned the hotel's position gives you the best of both worlds: the views over the harbour, with the beach within easy walking distance (though they do lay on courtesy transport during the day). Sand key does not have the hustle & bustle of Clearwater, which is easily accessible by the trolley bus service, which pulls into the hotel and covers a wide area; an all day pass costs about $4.65 (cannot remember the full price) and the hotel concierge will give you very useful advice and a map. The hotel staff were very friendly and approachable and easy to talk to. Unfortunately, I cannot recall their names except Michael, who served us at the pool side offering a very attentive and friendly service. The pool is a reasonable size, but you can see from guest photos that the area around it is not huge, so the beds are close together. Whilst some people would reserve the beds, we never had a problem finding two together, though late on in the day it would have been more difficult. We had two lunchs from Kokomos, the pool bar; they were both excellent meals with good portions; we did not eat in the main hotel restaurant. A nice touch around the hotel, were containers with fresh cold water you could help yourself to, or just request from the pool bar. The rooms do need refurbishment. Paint has chipped off the doors here and there & the bath looked worn around the plug hole, but overall they were well maintained and of a good standard of cleanliness. I was surprised there was no room safe, but you could rent a deposit box at reception, which is a bit of an inconvenience if dipping in and out for money etc. On arrival we found the sliding door to our balcony was so stiff to open that my wife could not manage it. We mentioned it at recption the day of arrival (Sunday) and were asked if we wished maintainence to look at it immediately. We were surprised, being a Sunday, but agreed. We went out and on return found it had not been fixed. We had to remind them on Monday and within the hour it had been fixed: a nice touch was that two cards offering a range of complimentary offerings for our troubles was left in our room (we had the two pina coladas from Kokomos). The only neagtive comment I have is the thickness of the room walls. The configuration of rooms is such that the one to the right of ours is a mirror image, meaning the bed would have abutted the wall where our bed was. On the first night I was woken about 4.a.m. by a thunderstorm outside. Laying in bed I could hear the lady next door just clearing her throat and people talking. Then very plainly we heard them making love - with an encore at 9.a.m! In between these times we could the male yawning and very clearly snoring, with later talk between them We wondered what we would hear the following night, but as it was, they must have checked out as the room was free for the next two nights. On our last night we could hear the new occupants talking. I note from previous reviews that the rooms are due refurbishment in 2015. As part of this it would be beneficial if somthing could be done about the thin walls and room safes added. Otherwise, we had a really nice relaxing stay here and would return - with ear plugs!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple