“Perfect location, better for families than couples”

Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
GreenLeadersGold level
Clifton Park, New York
“Perfect location, better for families than couples”
Reviewed 6 July 2012

The location of the hotel can't be beat. It's right near Pier 60, and is within walking distance of the nightlife, restaurants, shops, etc., in Clearwater Beach. As far as locations go, the Hyatt is in the best spot. It's also a 5 minute walk from the marina.

The hotel's rooms are all suites, which are very nice. Eating out constantly on vacation, it's nice to have some conveniences like a regfrigerator, microwave, dishwasher and dishes.

You do have to cross a street to get to the beach, but this isn't a big deal at all! The street is only two lanes, isn't that heavily travelled, and had a pedestrian stop. The walk from the hotel to the spot where you set up your beach chair is about 2-3 minutes. Anyone who complains about this walk needs to get a grip. Reading previous reviews on Tripadvisor, we were hesitant to stay here because of the walk across the street. Having actually stayed here, we don't know what people are complaining about.

Check in and check out were prompt, friendly and courteous. The concierge was disappointing. Room cleaning wasn't very good. The cleaner left a cleaning rag one time, and the carpet was clearly never vacuumed.

We had a balcony view fronting the Gulf which was gorgeous. The negative was that we were right above the pool which was filled with kids. Of particular annoyance, on one night, the hotel was setting up a movie for kids near the pool. Just as we were standing on our balcony to watch the glorious sunset, the hotel employee turns on the DVD player, and the opening credits and advertisments on an Ice Age DVD start blaring. Seriously? What a way to ruin the mood - this woman couldn't have waited 5 minutes, or hit the mute button?

One additional complaint is the $25 daily resort fee. Basically, you're getting 2 small bottles of water for $25. You get free wi-fi and free local and (800) calls, but for the average person with a smart phone, who care? In my mind, just charge me the extra $25 as part of the daily rate - I'll appreciate the honesty in billing, and not feel so taken advantage of. Or better yet, use this to cover parking, instead of charging me an additional $16 per day.

In terms of positives, we almost never heard anyone else, which is rare in hotels. The inside was very quiet. For a large hotel with many guests, the hotel seemed very cozy, and never seemed overwhelmed.

We tried out the spa. It was just okay. The spa is located on the 7th floor and has a beautiful view of the bay. However, the spa is tiny and feels small. We requested two female masseuses and were surprised when we had one male and one female masseuse. They advertise "spa food," but it's just Granny Smith apples and cookies. Again, not terrible, but not what was advertised.

The Hyatt, and Clearwater in general, caters more to families rather than couples. We traveled as a couple and had a wonderful time, with no regrets. However, not every couple traveling without kids might feel the same way.

Overall, despite the negatives, we'd recommend the Hyatt. It's a pleasant hotel, in a fantastic, convenient location. One final thought. The hotel is very large and pink, and is a prominent landmark. No matter where you are in Clearwater Beach, you'll never be lost.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the sunset.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (611)
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 5 July 2012

My husband and I just returned home from our wedding/honeymoon, and the 5 days that we spent at the Hyatt in Clearwater were wonderful. It would not be a resort I could afford to stay at all the time all week long, but for a shorter special event, it was absolutely perfect. From the time we checked in to the time we checked out, every employee we came across greeted us and was very polite. We checked in using one of the electronic kiosks which were very useful and easy to use. The only issue we had was with parking. We couldn't get our key to work in the parking deck, but found out that they accidently set up our room for valet instead of my parent's, but fixed the problem very quickly and easily. The hotel is beautiful and clean inside and out. The beds were very comfortable. All of the staff was great. Our wedding was very small with only 14 guests, but Mallori Skipper with the catering department treated us wonderfully. The service at dinner was fantastic and the food was amazing. The only reason I gave the spa and breakfast a 4 instead of a 5 was because of cost. I bought my parents a 1 hr swedish massage each, and with gratitude, it cost close to $300 for the two of them, but my parents loved every second of it. My husband and I had breakfast in the Shor restaurant one day, and it cost us about $50 for just the two of us. The cost as well as the cost of the room, though, is expected as it is a Hyatt.

Room Tip: We had family all over the hotel and no one had any complaints, except the garbage cans in the room...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Dear Paige D:

Thank you for choosing our Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa for your wedding experience. We're delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your special occasion. Our employees will be recognized for the tremendous service. We'll be sure to tell Mallori Skipper that she did a fantastic job with the wonderful wedding arrangement. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back for Anniversary celebrations!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I really want to love this hotel. Stayed there a couple times now. Let's start off with the good. Great view, beautiful new hotel and nice rooms if you get what you paid for. The bad? Reservations completely messed up my two rooms and I got the worst ADA compliant room (with a broken shower) on property. Fortunately, my other room that my guests were in was a great room that I called and requested 4 times only for Hyatt to get it wrong.
Customer service: GM was friendly and gave me a $25 credit for my disaster of a room. Woo Hoo. I paid over $2,500 for my stay. $25 is big money.
Valet: Rude, rude, rude. I was forced to wait 25 minutes with a one year old for my car and when I asked the valet kid said "i have no idea where your car is" Wrong answer!!!!
Maids: Terrible. Did not speak English and wanted to clean our room at 830 on Sat and Sun. WTF?
Restaurant: Very good.
Pool: Towel hut was closeless and could not figure out how to rent us a cabana so we gave up.
Front Desk: Mostly very good except for the smar a-- guy working on Friday and Sat during the day who was just rude and made comments about me being demanding

Overall, not very good. Mostly due to the customer service issues and the terrible room we were crammed into despite my many attempts to get it "right."

I will stay at this hotel again as it's the nicest in Tampa. I will just make sure not to valet my car, not check in until I've inspected my room, and ignore the 830 am housekeeping wake up calls.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank brian6743
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 28 June 2012

This hotel & resort is wonderful. Friendly staff, clean & upscale. Its close to everything. We flew into Tampa and arranged a ride with a transportation service referred by the hotel for $30.00. Once we were there we walked everywhere. We also took the public trolley bus up until 9 at night. Hotel has a Jacuzzi on the roof. Grocery stores are close so you can cook, the rooms have full equipped kitchens. The surf store is reasonable. If you forget something you can get it in Clearwater. We went to the mall, went to the movies, and went to the Pier- lots of interesting things there. We also went on a dinner cruise on the Majestic, it was nice. The food was not all that we expected but it was good. The music was great and just being on a cruise at sunset is so beautiful. The concierges was very knowledgeable and cool. We really enjoyed it and will be back again & again, next time we are taking the kids.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AngieSE
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Stayed at the hotel for business, but would love to come back to play. Large room with full stainless steel kitchen (with two complimentary bottles of water in the fridge), desk to work on, big tv, pull-out sofa and comfortable king bed. Nice bathroom amenities, including a hair dryer, plenty of towels, two robes, and toiletries.
What was interesting was the food at the hotel - lots of healthy and organic choices that were tasty as well as good for you. Very impressive.

Room Tip: Very large rooms on the 8th floor surrounding the pool, but not a great view. A little bit of traff...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank FLDealMaven
, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Dear FLDealMaven:

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa. We're delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the time you've spent with us, and how well you liked your large room with the kitchen. Often, we'll hear enthusiastic feedback with regards to the guest room layout. It's great that our restaurants could provide you with healthy, organic options. We'll make sure to recognize the kitchen staff with the great choices they had to offer.

We hope you have the opportunity to welcome you back for a relaxing getaway!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 27 June 2012

This is a beautiful hotel. We had a very large 2 bedroom suite facing the Gulf and it was incredibly clean and beautiful! The staff is very friendly and accommodating. One of the nicest hotels I’ve stayed at while in Florida. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank LauraJ11_11
, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
I am excited to hear that you had such an excellent stay at our property. It sounds like you really enjoyed your suite and found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful. Your feedback and recommendation is greatly appreciated. We look forward to having you back to our property for another stay in the future!

Brock S. - A Guest Relations Associate
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I had high expectations for this particular hotel, just based on the name Hyatt Regency, and on the price of the rooms. Positives: warm and attentive staff for the most part, and comfortable, lovely, well-equipped rooms. Negatives: The top floor balconies, (which we were in), have no covering, and we were unable to enjoy them due mostly to the rain. Showers have woefully insufficient water pressure, especially when trying to rinse sunscreen off the skin and shampoo/conditioners from the hair (it took me roughly 40 minutes to take a shower just trying to get the shampoo out of my hair). And, (of less consequence), lousy T.V. channel selection! Also, additional unexpected "fees" tacked on for everything. (Can you say, "nickel and diming"??) Will I stay at this hotel again? Probably not. Nice hotel, but really not worth the expense at the end of the day - in my opinion.

Room Tip: If you want to be able to fully enjoy your balcony, don't let them give you a room on the top (1...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family