“This Hotel is not worth it”

Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 July 2010

I've just returned from clearwater beach on june 29 2010, i took my family there for our annual vacation and we stayed at hyatt resort.
The hotel looks good from outside but when you get inside it is a different story. Firstly, i think they are trying to save electric bill, by programing the aircondition not to get cold enough for comfort level. the hallways are always hot, the rooms are warm even though the air is turned all the way to 65 degrees, you will sweat at night time, please bear in mind that that this is a 350 dollars a night hotel. They automatically charge you extra 15 dollars a day for hotel fees wether you use their internet service or not and their telephone too.
The parking garage is poorly constructed that if you are not carefull you will run your car into the walland they charge 16 dollars a day to park there, if you self park.
The staff are great, very helpful and always available to answer any queston that you might have. the consiereg was great, but the company are too focus on profit by squeezing everything together, if anything please allow the room to cool down leave the air condition alone, it is summer time!!
The bathroom was very poor, there are no doors to seperate the toilet from the shower area, they have no fan to diffuse any smell, the bathroom sink was barely releasing water to brush your teeth and to wash your face. Dont even think about opening your balcony door to go out for few second, the aircondition will shut down, and this is air that does not get cold to begin with.
The pool and the pool side was good except that you have to sign in/out towels in order to get one (how ridiculous) remenber we are paying 350 dollars per night.
I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 June 2010

Very nice hotel, pool is on the 8th floor overlooking beach which was pretty cool. The only negatives were I thought the drinks at the bar were a bit pricey but then I don't order Hurricanes to often, $10. The air conditioner was a bit loud in the room. Other than that no complaints, cozy, nice view and most important to me...clean!

One downside that I wasn't too happy with was on top of the resort fee there's also a parking fee of $16 a day! I was glad we only stayed three days.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Bella35805
Reviewed 23 June 2010

I booked a 3-night stay for a quick weekend getaway. Expectations were high, based on the Hyatt Regency brand.

First impressions didn't disappoint. Valet and bell staff were very helpful, courteous and knowledgeable. While the lobby is small as others have mentioned here, the decor and artwork is comfortably elegant. The staff were excellent. Front desk is the uber-trendy podium style (no big counter), where the staff interacts more personally with the guest. Check in was pleasant and efficient.

The elevators are fast and quiet. Common areas are pleasant.

The room, which I believe was the "standard" (I'm not sure if it's called deluxe, superior or another superlative on the website) was very spacious and well equipped. The full kitchen with granite counters and stainless appliances is a nice touch for a standard room. Bath is adequate, but could have used better lighting and a bit more water pressure in the sink. The bed was excellent! Overall a very nice room and certainly very competitive for this class of hotel. As others have mentioned, the AC is a bit loud... which wasn't a problem for us... yet!

So far so good. Night one was very pleasant and relaxing.

On Saturday we ventured to the beach for most of the day. The hotel's location is very good, centrally located to many of the restaurants and nightlife in the area, but not the best for beach access. The beach is spectacular, beautiful white sand and, believe it or not... clear water! The named it for a reason! Although we live on the Atlantic coast, we prefer the calm waters of the Gulf for a relaxing day of swimming and floating.

After baking on the beach, we decided to spend some time at the pool. The pool area is very attractive, but there was one MAJOR flaw that I have not seen mentioned in other reviews. The entire pool deck is covered with polished stone! While it is beautiful flooring for a dry area... it is incredibly, very, very, VERY slippery when wet. There are other finishes available for stone flooring that would be appropriate around a pool... but polished is hazardous! Both my wife and I nearly feel on several occasions, both barefoot and wearing Crocs and docksiders. We observed quite a few others almost wiping out, including an elderly gentleman walking with the assistance of two canes. When we asked staff about the dangerous condition, all acknowledged that it was a problem. One staff member said that they have 2 or 3 falls a day!!! Another said that work was to begin this week on correcting the condition... another had no idea what was planned. For the sake of the owners, this needs to be fixed immediately. To allow a dangerous condition to exist, after you have actual knowledge of it, is a recipe for disaster.

Enough about the pool deck! On to the pool! We no sooner got into the pool when a maintenance staff member, in a rather rude manner, informed everyone that he was closing the pool immediately. Hotel staff were walking around in a very agitated state with walkie-talkies held to their ears telling everyone to get out of the pool NOW! Several maintenance staff immediately got busy with test kits and chemicals. There was no explanation offered. Needless to say, we were half expecting to wake up with either green hair or no hair at all the following morning! Seriously, some explanation should have been given, as the only reason to close a crowded, busy pool in the middle of the day is that there was a health concern.

Another restful, relaxing day and two evenings followed. We enjoyed room service for dinner on Saturday night. Everything was good and the service was excellent! The tuna app was delicious, but a bit skimpy at the price point. It consisted of 4 very small slices of raw tuna for $12+. The only issue was that the phone system was buggy and wouldn't allow a call to be placed directly to room service. Not a problem, yet, as the front desk was reachable and gladly transferred calls. We also enjoyed an excellent Sunday brunch at a nearby restaurant, the Island Way Grill.

Late Sunday afternoon we went for a swim in the pool. There had been a storm in the distance, with thunder and lightning, but it was moving away. After a few minutes, the staff with walkie-talkies held to their heads converged on the pool telling everyone to get out... because of the storm. There's nothing wrong with exercising an abundance of caution what it comes to lightning, but these folks almost seemed to enjoy the whole walkie-talkie toting "emergency" thing a bit too much. They seemed to be using their radios as a badge of authority. Suggestion to management: have the staff soften up and not act like law enforcement when carrying out tasks of this nature.

One other comment about the pool. I observed staff confronting several guests who lit a cigarette telling them that there was no smoking allowed on the pool deck. They gave a detailed explanation of where it was permissible to light up, yet there were guests in the cabanas that ring the pool deck smoking, only to be told that they have to stay in a defined area of their patio to smoke. If there is a no smoking policy on the pool deck, why do people who rent a cabana have the privilege of smoking in an area defined by no more that an imaginary line? More importantly, there were no signs indicating the the pool deck is a no smoking area. Wouldn't it make more sense to install discreet signage and avoid uncomfortable confrontations between staff and guests who have no idea that they're doing anything wrong ? Again, the walkie-talkie toting staff member seemed to be scanning the crowd, looking for an opportunity to scold a guest.

Now it's Monday AM, check out day. I called the front desk to request a late check out. Although the hotel directory in the room said that Gold Passport members receive a 2 PM late checkout, based upon availability, we were only granted a 12 noon time. As it was a Monday, I find it hard to believe that occupancy didn't allow the later time, but OK. We planned for a relaxing morning, including a room service breakfast in bed and napping until it was time to leave. I attempted to call room service. No dice. Everytime I dialed, the phone would ring back immediately afterward. Evidently, the call was connecting, but I was unable to hear them and vice versa. Smae with the front desk. I finally resorted to calling the hotel from my cell. When I explained to the clerk who answered, she stated that she would send an engineer right away. I explained that I did NOT want someone to come into the room to fix the phone... they could do that AFTER we left... but that I only wanted to order a meal from room service. It took a bit of 'splainin, but the idea got through. Yes, there was a language barrier. I can not imagine why a hotel of this class would entrust first line communication with guests to an individual that was clearly struggling with the English language. While I understand that bilingual communications are necessary, I am offended that I had to endure a difficult time communicating in English with hotel staff who's job is to answer guest requests on the telephone. This was the same person who previously answered when dialing the speed dial on the telephone labeled "guest assistance".

OK, no harm, no foul. i was transferred to room service. again, excellent service. While I was on the phone ordering, with the previously mentioned loud AC running full steam, suddenly, the door to the room opened to the extent that the security device allowed, and repeatedly banged against the security bar as if someone were trying to force the door open! I called out... the door closed. I ran to the door to see what was going on and there was a housekeeping staff member standing there! I asked what she wanted... and she said: "are you checking out today?"!!!!! OMG! Are you kidding me??? You try to enter an occupied room at 8:45 on a Monday morning to see if the occupant is checking out??? Evidently, she had been softly knocking, but between the aforementioned AC, the TV and the fact that I was on the phone, I didn't hear it at all. Is it proper to knock on the door of an occupied room at 8:45 in the morning, then attempt to enter the room when there are clearly sounds of activity in the room??? I then called the "guest assistance" person to request that she kindly let housekeeping know that we were, in fact, checking out that day... but not until noon! The response was: "I tell them". I asked that a manager be informed what had happened. The response was: "I tell him". No apology. No comment from management.

The eggs Benedict was excellent. Again, great food, great service.

Check out was uneventful. Front desk, valet and bell staff were again top notch.

All in all, I must say that we had an enjoyable experience... but the few "hiccups" we experienced were pretty bad. The overarching problem here is simple to diagnose. In a word, it is communication. Every negative comment I have posted here boils down, in one way or another, to a basic failure to communicate well. Correct that, and this is an awesome resort that I will frequent in the future.

3  Thank ms1027
aenorman, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2010

Hi there - I handle the PR for the resort and am responding on their behalf. Thank you for sharing these comments. We are aware of the slippery conditions surrounding the pool and are applying a non-slip treatment to the pool surface this week. Regarding the pool maintenance, all hotels and resorts must periodically treat the water of public swimming pools which does sometimes require that swimmers exit the pool.

We appreciate the rest of the comments included in the post and have shared them with our team in order to continually improve the guest experience and offer the best service on Clearwater Beach. If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a direct message at ashley@cam-pr.com.

Reviewed 20 June 2010

"Wow" is truly the word to describe this hotel. From the moment we drove up to it, you could sense how special it was - it truly dominates Clearwater, in a very tasteful way. The decor in all of the public areas was lovely and the service impeccable. The furniture, artwork and architecture is definitely tropical in style, but more like a British Plantation style rather than cheesy beach resort.

Our room (really a suite) was huge and appointed beautifully - with a bathroom to die for (double sinks, separate shower and tub, and beatiful granite). The kitchen was a full kitchen, with a small stovetop, a convection oven/microwave, a dishwasher, full-size fridge and fully stocked plates and pans. We actually intended to make breakfast here every morning but the rate we got with AAA ended up including breakfast in the dining room everyday so we never really used the kitchen much - ashame because it was really nice! Housekeeping provides two bottles of water everyday as a complimentary service (well, I guess you pay for it in the "resort fee") which was a nice touch and saved us from needing to buy bottled water at the close-by CVS.

As I said, we ate breakfast every day in the main dining room, sitting out on the porch overlooking the ocean; the food and service were both amazing - it was a breakfast buffet so I was a little leary, but boy was it good - delicious eggs, veggies, yogurt and granola, fruit, oatmeal and pastries.

Some downsides: The pool area is nice and very beautiful, but is a little small for a resort. The location is pretty good, near some good restaurants and on a nice stretch of beach - but, you do have to go to the 8th floor to get your towels then to the 2nd floor to walk out and down the stairs to the street level, across a small (and not busy) street to the beach... Our preference for beach stays is to be able to walk in and out of our hotel often, and go back and forth from the pool to the beach, during the day and that was not really as feasible here.

Overall, we definitely felt like we received five-star treatment and a relaxing stay.

1  Thank Angela837
Reviewed 19 June 2010

First visit to this hotel. I've been to others on this beach; but this one by far was the nicest. The rooms are spacious and come with a full kitchen and nice size bathroom. Beautiful views and great location. It is on the same side of the beach BUT its the public beach. That was the only draw back for me; I would have preferred a private beach. Otherwise, worth the visit and for sure would come back. Great activities for kids, good pool side entertainment, good hotel restaurants.

1  Thank ajjtty
Reviewed 17 June 2010

My husband and I booked the hotel for our daughter's wedding and this was a Weekend to Remember. The catering was outstanding, but I must say, the stay in general was even better. I read many reviews and I agree that the lobby was small, as this was originally was designed to have residences, not a hotel. However, the service for all of our guests was great. There is a resort fee, but if you stay on resorts, you should not be surprised. The food in the restaurant was actually pretty reasonable for a 4 star hotel and the rooms are beautiful. some of our guests even thought that they received an upgrade on their room. The noisy airconditioning is still a problem, but I believe that they are working on fixing this.
Since almost all our wedding guests stayed at the hotel, I'd like to speak on their behalf. We would highly recommend this hotel .

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 14 June 2010

Just got back from spending 3 days at the new Hyatt Regency Hotel in Clearwater Beach
This is brand new hotel was definately over rated and not worth the money. Besides the nightly rate, there were other charges per night which totaled approx another $40.00 a night .The Lobby was very plain. Restaurants were very expensive.While the rooms were spotless. I was eally surprised that there wasn't a seperate shower just a tub in the unit.The room we had was on the 14th floor and We spent the entire first night awake with the cooling vents from inside the unit. It sounded like a vaccuum cleaner running outside our door the entire night.The next day a nice staff member came by and somewhat solved the problem by putting a door sweep on the bottom of door.Then there was the matter the 10 to 12 AC roof top units running 24 hrs from building below. Plus the view from the balcony was also spoiled because one couldn't help but look at the filthy looking surrounding buildings below.
Staff were very nice and mannerly, and the restaurants were nice and clean.But other than that I think this sort of hotel should have been built further up the strip closer to the nicer hotels.Again I dont think it was worth the money we paid to stay ther.

1  Thank CanadaPatgeo