“Gorgeous, peaceful beach!”

and up
Clearwater Beach Day Trip from Orlando with Sea Screamer Boat Ride
Ranked #5 of 86 things to do in Clearwater
Reviewed 7 April 2011

My daughter and I visited in March 2011. The weather was perfect- 86 degrees and pure sunshine. Although we stayed at the Holiday Inn Clearwater, I knew of Sand Key Park from a previous stay at the Sheraton.

Another mentioned that they didn't like the condos lining the beach. I would advise to enter Sand Key Park and go to the furthest parking lot. You are then at the end of the park, far away from the hotel and condos and the crowds! We had just a handful of other sunbathers sharing the beach area with us! There were more shorebirds than people, to be honest!

Absolutely beautiful. Enjoyed strolling the waterline for shells. There are several palm trees closer to the parking area that can afford shade if you like.

The parking spaces are metered ....bring quarters!

Just a delightful day - will certainly return!

11  Thank NorthCoastGirl1234

Reviewed 12 March 2011

We spent the day on the beach at Sand Key Park and absolutely loved it! Some things to know before you go ... bring quarters for the meter!! We were on the beach for six hours and had planned ahead to have change and it was a good thing because the change machine was broken. Also, the restrooms at the north end of the park were closed for renovation, so you'll have to walk down to the south end. The restrooms were very well kept. The beach as well was immaculate. We rented a cabanna and two chairs ($25 for the day). We walked about two miles up and down the beach and found many lovely shells. It's really a great place to spend the day and it was much less crowded than Clearwater Beach which was teeming with Spring Break college kids. Highly recommended!!

9  Thank OffWeGo2
Reviewed 9 March 2011

So I didn't pick the best time to go....and I only had $2.00 in my pocket, but I wanted to take a "lunch break" at the beach. Clearwater beach is SWAMPED. Especially this time of year (O spring break). Sand Key is a quiet little oasis in comparisson. There is shade for picnics, clean bathrooms and change rooms and metered parking which is great if you know how much they charge to park in other areas. Mostly families and people werent on top of each other. My only problem is the meters malfuction at times. Example: They have a change machine where you put in your dollars and get coins, GREAT! But....the meter ate my dollar coin. Lame, plus I only had time for another hour. O well still worth it. Beach rentals too!

3  Thank annageez
Reviewed 23 November 2010

We catch a sunset at Sand Key every chance we get! It's not uncommon to see weddings here on the weekends, we saw 6 simultaneous weddings in September here. The music from Shepherd's can be a bit overpowering on the weekends (they need a noise pollution law!), but most of the time it's great. Pay-to-park is strictly enforced. There are decent bathrooms on site.

Jim & Colette

6  Thank ColetteAndJim
Reviewed 23 October 2010

We spent several days on the beach at Sand Key while staying at the Sheraton, and it is easily one of our favorite beaches now.

The waters of the Gulf are extremely clear and very calm. On our first day, there were small waves that even afforded some people the chance to take a surfing lesson, but two days later there were no waves at all. It was perfect for families with children because of the shallow entry to the water and lack of waves.

The beach is very long, extending about 200 yards from the edge of the water back to the Sheraton. That being said, it is one of th easiest beaches to walk on. The sand is relatively packed down making it easy to get out to the water. Also, with the lack of crashing waves, it was a perfect location to take a long walk along the edge.

We were at the beach in October, so this might not be typical of all seasons, but it was not at all crowded and had a great peaceful, quiet setting.

The only negative was that the hotel does not provide beach chairs (we did know this going in). If you don't bring your own, you have to pay $25/day for two longe chairs and an umbrella. That said, the chairs have thick padding and are very comfortable.

3  Thank RyryE