“Client lunch”

Ranked #101 of 750 Restaurants in Clearwater
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The service was great. Food was good and I was able to conduct a business lunch. The server respected our space yet was very attentive. Easy to find and lots of parking. Menu selection was great. Great spot for a business lunch meeting.

1  Thank Mike M

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

We had dinner here on New Year's Eve and were not disappointed. We were greeted immediately by one of our two servers and brought waters while we decided on wine. We started with the prosciutto wrapped scallops (which were a special), and they were phenomenal. Crispy, salty, tender on the inside. Next, we had the roasted beet salad which was delicious. The pistachios and goat cheese made the dish. For our entrees, we split the crab cakes and the steak frites. The crab cakes had so little filler, they were almost falling apart (in a good way). The steak was a perfect medium rare. One small quibble, was that the fries were frozen. That said, they were wonderfully seasoned. We finished with the chocolate lava cake. My husband loved it, but I wish it had been a tad bit sweeter. Service the entire meal was great, they have good team work there. People stopped by on a regular basis to pre-bus our table, and the manager also stopped by to make sure we were enjoying everything. This was our third visit over the past couple years, and we will continue to go back.

1  Thank Mary K
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My wife has dined at Carmel Cafe on a number of occasions with a better outcome. I heard how much she enjoyed the restaurant, so we decided to dine with good friends on New Years Eve.

We arrived at 6PM and were promptly seated by a friendly hostess. They showed us the menu which is on an iPad and gave us a printed menu.

The restaurant is warm and the decor is nice. However the restaurant to the right, their neighbor) actually looks more inviting. I would try that one next time.

A server came and took our drink order and explained the iPad ordering. We looked at the menu and ordered appetizers. We were engaged in good conversation and did not think about the long wait for food. After about 40 minutes the staff asked if we wanted to order. We replied that we had ordered. They explained that our order was most likely not completed on the iPad and still in the shopping cart. That was the case. We completed the transaction and the food came quickly. I would prefer to order in person. I get the best recommendations from the wait staff.

We ate a series of appetizers. Edamame hummus (good), Braised Short Rib & Portabella Flatbread X 2 (very good), Tomoto Margherita Flatbread (very good), Scallops wrapped in Bacon X3 (very good - how could they not be good…wrapped in bacon) Vegetable Cous Cous, Dessert Trio, Chocolate Lava Cake with Ice Cream. The food was tasty. We did not order anything too complicated.

However, each time we ordered, our food was hung up in the shopping cart. Unfortunately, we all ordered something and went thru the same experience. When i ordered the second time it happened to me again. The software needs some work in my opinion, or just take orders the old fashioned way.

My recommendation, Staff your restaurant and work to provide a better customer experience not a "fad" ordering experience. Remember Max & Erma's tried telephone ordering from the tables 20 years ago and i think they are out of business.

The food came quickly when properly ordered.

The worst part of the evening came at 8:45 PM when a young blond lady in a blue dress came to our table and asked if we planned to leave prior to 9 PM because they needed our table for another party. Her tact was inexcusable. Frankly, I should give the restaurant a Poor rating for her lack of customer concern and their technology issues. However, since my wife has successfully dined and had a good experience on a number of occasions, I am going to give them a 3.

Had they served us properly, without their technology, we would have been finished in less than two hours. Fortunately we were with good friends whom we had not seen in a while and the visit was perfect.

So, OK food, in my opinion they are trying to replace service with technology, and the blond in the blue dress, she should find another career.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

This place is a decent local place for a couple of drinks and tapas.
They have a plate with nuts, cheese and meats that is very good.
They don't have bottles water though. They say they have their own "specially filtered"
water that's better than Perrier or Pelligrino...not....yuk.
Anyway, as I said not a bad local place.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

This is a different dining experience. The menus are iPads and you can order directly from them. The items are the menu are mostly tapas which are small plates that you can share with each other. Good wine selection. Very well decorated with nice oil painting from a local artist.

1  Thank Chris L