“First class dive operation”

Tanks-A-Lot Dive Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: Diving fun and adventure await you aboard a Tanks-A-Lot Dive Charter as you enjoy a great day of scuba diving the Gulf of Mexico. Our scuba boat charters and dive trips are designed to maximize your diving pleasure, safety and comfort. Serving the Clearwater, St. Petersburg and Tampa Bay Florida areas.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“First class dive operation”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This is one of the best run dive operations I have ever been on. The boat and equipment is very well maintained, the staff is professional, well trained and a lot off fun. The dive sights we went to we're amazing .

Visited October 2013
1 Thank CaddyDoc

Indianapolis, Indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A Great Wreck Dive”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I went on the Sheridan Wreck dive on Aug 25th with Capt. Ryan and crew and had a great experience. While the waves had a moderate chop, I never felt the conditions were unsafe and I have been diving in rougher waters. It's just part of the routine when you're a diver. I saw a goliath grouper and many other fish. I'm a solo diver, and had no problem finding a buddy on the boat to dive with. This was my first trip to the Sheridan and my third trip with Capt. Ryan. Tanks A Lot is very safety conscious and a top-notch operation. I'm looking forward to more dives with them when I'm in Florida.

1 Thank Jockamo2008
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“If you are a very experienced diver this one is for you”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

But if you are an occasional recreational diver, even if advanced certified, go elsewhere. My first clue was when one of the regulars told me that they didn't bother with the buddy system. Nor did they suggest to me that I have one, nor offer one. Don't get me wrong, the crew and captain are nice, but even though it was obvious that I wasn't as experienced as the rest ( whom all came with their own equipment and mostly were regulars) there was no effort to make this a great trip. I am used to a little more caring. The swells were high, it was raining and dark (I question the decision to go out) and the line down to the wreck was on the opposite side of the boat from where you got in. I immediately got swept away by the waves, couldn't see the boat for a minute, found it very difficult to make it to the line, looked up and saw the boat surge towards me while holding the line and suddenly realized that I could be in serious trouble - and then for the first time in my life, panicked and went to the back, got out and miserably sat in the boat ( which sometimes rolled so much in the waves that the railing was almost in the water) for 5 more hours; and proceeded to get sea sick for the first time in my life. To add insult to injury I was charged for both dives and all equipment rental. As I said, the regulars had a great time. I heard sour comments form all the non- regulars, that it was too stormy to dive was the main one. If he had not charged me much or anything for the dive, since I didn't indeed dive, (but he charged me full rates) I wouldn't have written this, perhaps - but then Divers should know what they are signing up for. So if you are super experienced and like to go your own way, this dive is for you.

5 Thank mpg001
Ryan N, Owner at Tanks-A-Lot Dive Charters, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
I am truly sorry you had a bad trip with us. You specifically requested to go on our wreck dive out to the Sheridan and Blackthorn. These dives are in 80 foot of water. The seas were 3 foot which is average in the Gulf of Mexico going 20 miles out. You were more than welcome to stay with the Dive Master on the entirety of the dive. We take solo divers out all the time. I even announced to all the divers on the boat that were using air and not nitrox to stay as a group with Gage on this dive. Gage to list his credentials has over 250 dives, trained dive master, father is an instructor, been diving for nine years, would have been with you on the entire dive.

On my briefing I asked all the divers to swim the 30 foot length of the boat and drop 10 to 15 feet on the line and wait. Staying on the surface is where most people become stressed. Gage would have accompanied you at that time. You would have never been alone.

I check the weather the night before , morning of, and during EVERY trip I take passengers on. In fact I am one of the most conservative dive charters on the Gulf Coast. The forecasts were off on Sunday. We had a little rain and overcast skies not once did I hear thunder or see lightning. I have no control over that. Out of the nine people on the boat eight of them did the dive without issue. I feel you made the right call for your comfort level. Never dive out of your comfort zone.

I am sorry you felt it was unfair to be charged for the trip. Please look at it from my side. I turned away two separate couples that wanted to be on this trip. You were the first on my wait list to call. I never take out more than 10 divers. This is my business this how I earn my income. All the gear you rented was used as soon as it hit the water. It still needed to be cleaned. There is not one dive shop or center that I am aware of that will rent you gear and give your money back regardless if you did not make the dive.

I feel your remarks on trip advisor were unfair towards me and my business.

Once again I am sincerely sorry you had a bad time and I hope your next dive experience is a happy one as I am truly passionate about the sport.

Best regards,

Ryan Nelson.
Denver, Colorado, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Diving Clearwater”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Captain Ryan and Dive Master Gage were great. I was in Clearwater on a family vacation and wasn't planning on diving so I didn't have any great with me. I rented everything. Gear was well maintained and in great condition. When we arrived at our first sight, as if it was orchestrated by our Captain, we were greeted by a school of dolphins. Once under water, a friendly sea turtle and some huge grouper sightings made the trip even more memorable. Thanks for a great trip.

4 Thank Jennifer H
Houston, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“First time for my son”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I found Tanks-A-Lot on tripadvisor and booked a day dive for my son who just got certified. Capt. Ryan so we easy to work with and assured me we would not go too deep for my son. Day of dive, we were greeted by Gage (the dive master) and he helped us unload our gear. The drive out to dive site was great, our dives were fun and relaxing and Gage was making sure our son did well and had a good time. Perfect for our son's first real dive in the ocean. I would recommend Capt. Ryan to anyone!

2 Thank Houstonmom2013