“Not as good the second time -- sketchy area!!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Clearwater
Ranked #28 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This is the second time I've stayed at this Fairfield and it was not as positive of an experience as the first.

I will start off by saying that the staff were very friendly, and the girl checking me in even upgraded me to a suite. However, I think I would have rather had the regular room. I found the suite to be really, really small and there wasn't a lot of space to put my stuff nor was there a good amount of lighting or natural light in the room. I think a regular room would have actually been bigger. That being said, I appreciated the fact that they upgraded me for free.

The room was clean, albeit poorly lit. The sheets were clean, bathroom was clean, and the bed was comfortable.

The breakfast was free and included waffles, eggs, bacon, yogurt, cereal, fruit, and a variety of breads/pastries. A free breakfast is always a positive, in my opinion.

All of this being said, I wouldn't stay here again. I think the area around the hotel is sketchy. It's right next to the highway. I came out the morning of check-out to find that the emblem on my car had been stolen. Someone had come along and ripped it right off the hood of my car. It had been parked on the side of the parking lot that was near the on-ramp to the expressway, and I surmise that someone (probably a teenager) ripped it off and then made a quick escape.

I also left my iPhone 5 charger in the room, plugged in the wall by the bed. When I called the hotel, they claimed they couldn't find it. Nonsense, in my opinion. I KNOW where I left it. It was in that room, plugged in the wall on the right side of the bed. It is now gone.

It's not that the hotel itself is all that bad, it's just that the area around it seems questionable. That is why I would not stay here again, despite the fact that it is close to Ruth Eckerd Hall which is why I picked it.

Room Tip: Don't park your car near the on-ramp to the expressway and watch your surroundings when you leav...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank EmLovesCW
Leigh Anne M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Clearwater, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay in Clearwater. I am happy to hear that you experienced such friendly service at check-in, but would like to apologize for the issues you experienced. Please feel free to contact the hotel regarding the item left in your room. I will be sure to follow up with the housekeeping manager to ensure that we have checked everywhere. I appreciate your understanding and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

First I will say what I especially LOVED about this hotel - they had recycle bins by the vending/ice machine! I love that and almost never see it in hotels. That was fantastic and I wish all hotels would be forced to recycle. There wasn't a bin for aluminum (only plastic and paper), but baby-steps - it was still good to see the bins!

This is a nice hotel, not brand new but well-kept. My room had 2 queens and was nice and spacious. It was clean and there were plenty of clean towels. No fridge or microwave, but there was a coffee pot with supplies. The bed (a little squishy) and pillows weren’t the best, but they were okay; I’ve had better (and worse!). Sheets were clean and that's what matters.

The lobby is big and the girl checking me in was super-nice. Parking is free and even though the hotel was full, there was plenty of parking around the back. There is a pretty outdoor pool and a gym (neither of which I used).

Free good wi-fi and free breakfast. The breakfast area was clean with good food. You can eat inside, or go outside and eat your breakfast. It was crowded because the hotel was full.

The hotel is on the pricey side, but I shopped around and it was the least expensive that had good reviews. I stayed during the height of the season in this area (February), so I'd imagine that's why it had the big price tag.

This hotel is on a very big, main street through Clearwater. As soon as you exit the hotel to the west, you start seeing all kinds of restaurants, fast-food joints, stores, etc. There's a Super-Target (really nice!) about a mile away. US 19 is about a mile west of the hotel (that’s the road that takes you south to St. Pete; it is the major road through St. Pete and Clearwater). There is a big Walmart about 2 or 3 miles away (north on 19), and there’s a huge indoor mall about 5 miles away (again, north on 19). This hotel is not really near the beaches - they're a bit of a drive.

Going east up Gulf to Bay Road and going left on Bayshore will take you on a pretty drive along the waterway to a cute little town called Safety Harbor (it’s takes about 10 – 15 minutes). It is definitely a must-see little town; it is small and charming and takes you away from the traffic and congestion in the Clearwater area. There are tons of cute shops, restaurants, bars and a delightful little dessert place on Main Street called Joey Biscotti. There is also a beautiful Art and Music Center. If you go down to the harbor, there’s a nice pier you can walk out on and a little park area. The boats are pretty to look at and we even saw 2 manatees in the water. Also, it is a mecca for all kinds of shore birds and water fowl.

I have one complaint, and it's a big one for me. When I walked into my room, I was overpowered by a sweet-smelling air freshener. I HATE THAT. The room was clean, and that air freshener stink was totally unnecessary. Unfortunately, I could only open the window about 1-inch to get fresh air. It was horrible. Any other time, I might have asked to switch rooms, but the hotel was at capacity, and probably all the rooms have that smell. If you're like me and don't like stinky air-fresheners, call ahead to the hotel and try and see if they can tell housekeeping to leave it out of your room - that's what I will do next time I stay here. The smell was really, really strong and SO offensive. That would be my only complaint.

Room Tip: I was facing the rear of the hotel, which was good because it was like a little marshy area with lot...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tczig
Leigh Anne M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Clearwater, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Thank you for visiting the Fairfield Inn & Suites in Clearwater. I am happy that you were able to enjoy the area - I also like the Safety Harbor area. It is a nice quaint town that is very relaxing. I would like to apologize for the air freshener smell in your room. Our cleaning standard does not include air or carpet freshener, but we will check the rooms to make sure no air fresheners were left behind by any previous guests. Thank you for bringing the issue to our attention, and we will be sure to address it immediately. I appreciate your time in completing the review, and I hope to see you on your next trip to Clearwater!

Reviewed 3 March 2014

This is the third time that I have stayed at this Fairfield Inn. Although it is nothing fancy (it is a typical FI), this is a very well run member of the chain and quite clean and comfortable. This one also has a couple of great things going for it. First is location - it is about 10-12 minutes from the Tampa airport, within 15-20 minutes of at least 6 very good golf courses and near a number of quite good restaurants. Second is the staff. As I said above, this is the 3rd time I have stayed at this hotel and this was over a 3 year period. Each time all of the staff members were extraordinarily friendly and helpful. The management clearly does something right when it comes to hiring/training their staff.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Leigh Anne M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Clearwater, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear weilmr,

I appreciate your time in posting your feedback regarding your stay in Clearwater. We are happy to have you return each year and experience the same level of service that we strive for. Please also be advised that we will be undergoing a renovation later this year to bring our guests a more updated look to the Fairfield Inn brand. Thank you again, and I look forward to seeing you on your next visit!

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We have stayed here several times over the years. It is a nice, clean, well run place and is very convenient to drive to Tampa or St. Pete-Clearwater airports and other points of interest around the area. Their rooms are always spotless. Staff is very friendly. Breakfast is one of the best we have seen for this level of hotels.

Room Tip: Recommend rooms on second floor facing the back. Sound proofing is good in the rooms but you do hea...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Leigh Anne M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Clearwater, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear Toni,
Thank you for your time and kind words regarding your recent stay in Clearwater. I am happy that we have provided you with excellent service that keeps you coming back every year. We are excited to bring our guests a whole new updated look later this year, and we look forward to sharing it with you on your next trip.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

We liked everything about the Fairfield in Clearwater. Comfortable beds, big room, clean, fridge, good wifi. The weather left a lot to be desired but the outdoor pool was heated to a nice temperature as was the hot tub. The breakfast every morning was first rate, and changed everyday. Some days it was eggs and sausage, some days eggs and bacon, and other times biscuits and gravy. Of course there were always waffles and fresh fruit, cereals, etc. Couldn't ask for more. The staff was super - friendly and helpful. I asked for an extra lotion and they offered me a handful! Grounds looked lovely at night and they make it easy to find in the dark with lights on the palm trees lining the entrance. If the traffic isn't too bad it's a 20 minute drive to Clearwater Beach. Others have commented on the dated furnishings and while they might be dated they are still in good shape. We would definitely stay again. Oh - one more thing. They do honor their best price guarantee. No problem at all.

Room Tip: We were in a full hotel right beside the elevator and there was no noise!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Leigh Anne M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Clearwater, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Clearwater! Here at the Fairfield Inn & Suites, we pride ourselves in taking care of our guests and providing them with memorable service. We are very excited for our new updated look coming later this year, and I hope that you will be back in the area to come see it.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

My husband an I stayed here for 10 days, we loved it.
Everyone was so professional an accommodating, we want to thank Will, Brenda, Vicky, and Jessica. Everyone was so nice to us, the room was very clean an the breakfast was great every day. We will definitely stay here again. And the price was right.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights. Stay did not stand out at all. As a seasoned Marriott guest, I have come to expect a certain level of service at their properties. That said, I had no major issues during this stay except with the unhelpful breakfast attendant who refused to let me use a microwave on the last day of my stay or the housekeeping staff that did not replenish my supply of tiny lotions after the second day (apparently I should have used less lotion the first two days)Up till that point every need had been met without issue. Hotel is clean, property is well maintained and hotel is safe. They have the added bonus of a free breakfast every morning. I still however believe that a hotel cannot be called an inn or suite if they cannot provide a microwave inside the room! For the seasonal prices of every other property in the near vicinity, this is the choice for the budget conscious traveller.

• Stayed: February 2014
Leigh Anne M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Clearwater, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Thank you for your time in completing a review of your stay in Clearwater. I apologize that we were not able to completely meet you expectations during your time with us. I will be sure to share your concerns with the team, so that we may be able to better meet your needs the next time you visit.