“Avoid. How did this get so many good ratings ?”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Clearwater
Ranked #25 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Kissimmee, Florida
“Avoid. How did this get so many good ratings ?”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Negatives:

The $40 extra to have the hot tub is a rip-off. The hot tub barely fits one okay, two no go. The jets are awful and you can barely feel them when turned on as they have only one setting. The bathroom has no fan. You can hear EVERYTHING when someone is using the bathroom when in your other part of the room. The glass doors to the hot tub are so cheap that when you close the bathroom door (even gently) they re-open. The water pressure in the shower is truly one of the worst I have ever felt.

This was the worst in room coffee of any hotel/motel I have ever stayed in and I have had some dreadful coffee before visiting this hotel.

You can hear the outside traffic a little too much, so many sirens through the day + night back and forth, oh my gosh it didn't really let up.

Guests were common. Children talking or yelling very loud in the hallways even during the wee morning hours at 6:00 AM around when breakfast would start, this is the fault of the parents. Breakfast time showed a lot of how people act in a bad way (see below).

Fair:

The bed was a brick hard firm bed, however it was a quality hard firm bed.

The complimentary breakfast was just okay, not great from the so many other reviewers praising this. The Waffles were pretty to look at after you make them from scratch yourself, however the taste is sub-par. You have 5 cereal boxes to choose from, hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, bacon, a few yogurts, breads and bagels and an extensive selection of sweets. I noticed that most of the guests were very common: coughing without covering their mouth, grabbing as much as their bellies could take and no one leaving a tip for the poor staff at hand. The Juice machine for OJ and apple juice were poor but at least they have the milk boxes. I was hearing around that even the breakfast coffee was awful, I didn't try any however. The selection was pretty good, however the taste ...not so good.

Good:

I liked the Jacuzzi, very relaxing and clean.

Location about 6 miles from beach, keep in mind because of traffic you should leave for beach no latter then 9:30 AM on the weekends, starting in May & through July, otherwise expect long delays just to find limited parking.

Staff friendly

Room Tip: Rated as a 2 1/2 star Hotel, however no better than a 1 1/2 star motel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Leigh Anne M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Clearwater, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. I am very sorry to hear that you did not have an enjoyable visit while in the hotel. I will be sure to pass along your concerns regarding the jacuzzi in your room to our maintenance team. Regarding your breakfast experience, we do tend to be very busy, especially on the weekends. However, I will share your comments with my team, so that we can best meet the needs of all of our guests.
Leigh Anne M., General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Stayed here for the weekend for a short getaway. Very friendly check-in clerk. Clean room and a great rate. Close to the beach without the beach price. This is an older hotel, but seems to be maintained well. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: 310 is quiet and faces the back lot.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Leigh Anne M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Clearwater, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Timothy,
I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! I also wanted to share with you that we will be receiving a brand new updated look during our upcoming renovation. We are very excited to showcase our updates and hope that you will come back to check out the new Fairfield look.
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

I am disgusted with the room I am sleeping in tonight, and I feel so sorry for the sweet manager who comments back on all these reviews just because of her feedback is why I choose to stay here. The boy at the front desk put me and my husband (on our honeymoon) in an handicap room which I specifically asked not to have. He explained that's all that was available he told me it was just like the other rooms. I asked him if there was a shower chair in the tub he said no, he lied there is!!! Now the front desk isn't answering the phone. I hate this place it's late and I shouldn't have to deal with this. The room also smells moldy or mildew. Humid and sick. Bed skirts have stains and rug feels wet. Nasty nasty. It's really pretty when you walk in though.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rachel D
Leigh Anne M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Clearwater, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Rachel,
On behalf of the Fairfield Inn & Suites, I would like to apologize for the issue you had with your room during your stay. I understand your frustration, and I am very sorry that we were unable to accommodate your room request. Please be assured that we will use your feedback as a training tool for our team. We do our best to meet the requests of each guest, but unfortunately due to our occupancy, we only had an accessible room available at the time of your arrival. I truly appreciate your time, and please contact me if I can be of any further assistance.
Leigh Anne M., General
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Leigh Anne, the General Manager at this hotel should be very proud of herself as well as her staff.

Myself and my family came to the area this past Friday as part of a mini reunion/service for my father who passed last month. There were many of us from all over the country, and I had called many hotels trying to see if we could get some sort of discounted rate. Being in the hospitality industry myself, I know that many hotels offer a bereavement rate, but none of the other hotels would even call me back, much less offer a discount.

I received a call from Leigh Anne no more than 15 minutes after I had left her a message. This was where the great service started. She was able to offer myself as well as my family a great rate, and answered all of my questions quickly and genuinely. From the time that we arrived to the time we left, every employee I ran into said hello and had a smile on their faces. Even after we took over a good portion of the breakfast area (for long past breakfast hours) the employees trying to clean in there didn't ask us to move or make it feel like it was time to go.

Good customer service can outshine almost anything to me, and this is exactly what you will receive when staying at this Fairfield Inn. It was convenient to everywhere we needed to be, the rooms were comfortable and clean, and they even put my whole family near each other without any of us asking.

Thank you to Leigh Anne and staff for making our weekend that much easier!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Erin T
Leigh Anne M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Clearwater, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Erin,
Thank you so much for taking the time to complete this review - your kind words are greatly appreciated! It was our pleasure to host your family last weekend, and I am so happy to find out that everyone enjoyed their time here. Hopefully, you will be able to make it back down to Clearwater again sometime soon.
Turnersville, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Same issue as others stated. The room smelled of mold with water around the air conditioning unit. They attempted to be covered it up with air freshener. The hotel is very outdated and needs a major overhaul. The tiles in the bathroom were dirty and lose on the wall. The Internet connection was sketchy. Would not stay there again. Spend a lot of time in Marriott hotels very disappointed.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank SwimMom0
Leigh Anne M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Clearwater, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
I appreciate your time in completing a review of your recent stay in Clearwater. I am very sorry to hear that you did not have an enjoyable experience. Please be assured that we will address the issues you mentioned immediately, and I would like to share with you that we will be undergoing a full renovation beginning later this summer. I truly hope that you will come back and see our new updated look.
Kennewick, Washington
Reviewed 21 April 2014

If you have a car, this hotel is nicely located about 15 minutes from both the Tampa Airport and Clearwater Beach keeping costs reasonable and drive times minimal. Staff was helpful and genuine and the property was consistent with the Fairfield Inn level of quality.

Rooms were clean, beds comfy, air conditioner worked as did the wifi. Fitness room was small and hot. Not the best air flow in there and towel rack was empty one afternoon but the machines worked (one treadmill, one bike, one elliptical and one more either bike or elliptical, have forgotten. A few free weights as well.) Outdoor/ hot tub pool is on the side and has handicapped chair to enter pool if needed.

Breakfast was well stocked with breads/pastries, eggs, meat, yogurt, fruit, REAL oatmeal ( nuts, brown sugar and cranberries), coffee WITH flavored creamers and more.

It is located right down the road (5 minutes?) from a mall(turn up hwy 19 and another mall 15 minutes away), a pharmacy, a Starbucks, A Dunkin Donuts, and many restaurants. Headed to the beach you will pass a Publix and a Walmart. The front desk staff will give to a list of restaurants in the area and make suggestions if you need. Panera was great, Smokey Bones was wonderful (pulled pork was delish) as well. The original Hooters is close by plus there is one on Clearwater Beach as well.

The drive to the beach is fine but can be slow going with traffic. After going through town and over a "causeway" or road across the water, there is a traffic circle at the end. I suggest staying in the right lane so you can actually exit when you need. That can be tricky for nervous drivers.
At the beach, Frenchy's Rockaway Grill is a nice beach bar (nothing fancy but great food and ambiance) right on the beach. It is north near the Hilton (half mile tops) near the traffic circle. Pulled pork was great there too.

If you go for a walk on the pier, it costs a dollar or two. Be ready. And if it is windy, hold on to your hat!! The Pelicans were quite friendly and unafraid of you.

Bottom line: for the location, the cost and what is around it, this hotel is worth a look into. Traffic and all, it is really not that bad. If you want to pay a ton and be on the beach you can find that too. Just not here.
I have added pictures.

Room Tip: Pool is on the West side of the hotel, highway on the East...there are a few stories and I chose to...
Green Features: Eco friendly amenities and recycling bins are a nice touch.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Leigh Anne M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Clearwater, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
I am glad that you were able to experience so much of what Clearwater has to offer! Thank you very much for sharing your experience, and I am happy to hear that you received such great service during your stay. We look forward to having you as our guest again on your next trip to Clearwater!
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We loved this hotel. Did not think I was a Fairfield fan. Friendly greeting plus we were given a special bag with water coke and cookies. All guest received one of these but it looked like the Marriot Platinum people had a bottle of wine sticking out the top of their bag. Room was clean and comfortable. Pool was well maintained and heated. Only problem noted was the Spa was about 100 degrees which is a health hazard. Breakfast was excellent with lots of upgrades

Room Tip: Ask for room in back away from the highway
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RICHARD B
Leigh Anne M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Clearwater, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Nenate,
I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our friendly service that our guests have come to expect from Marriott. Regarding the spa, we keep the temperature set between 100 and 105 degrees, which is our hotel standard. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me at the hotel. Otherwise, we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Clearwater!