“Awful Service!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Tallahassee, Florida
“Awful Service!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

I went here with my husband and a few friends this past weekend and was absolutely appalled at how horrific the service was. I have an egg allergy so prior to ordering I asked the waitress if there was egg in my meal. She told me there wasn't so I ended up eating most of my meal. AFTER I was finished, she came back to our table and told me that there actually was egg in my food. Eggs will make me quite sick about an hour after eating them so I was very upset when I heard this. My husband and I asked the manager for our entire check to be comped but instead, the manager offered to take only my meal off and told me to bring in any medical bills because their insurance would cover it. Instead of a fun night out with friends on vacation, we had to go back to the hotel because I was sick from the eggs. Not to mention, my husband waited about 20 minutes for his second sushi roll to come out and by the time he received it everyone else had already finished their meal.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Jacksonville, Florida
“Clueless service, overpriced, tasty food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

We settled on Kiku after one of our party was craving sushi and the "Lobsterpot" across the street had high prices. Kiku is upstairs in a small outdoor mall. Apparently, this restaurant has won some dining awards in the past. The Host was on the ball. He accomodated our request to sit at a table on the side of the restaurant that was better lit. Some other tables were not well lit at all. The table and restaurant appeared to be clean. Adjacent to the Host stand, there appeared to be some tables and chairs stacked to the side. This was a bit curious and visually unappealing. The price of the food was a bit steep.

Our server was nearly clueless. He spoke little English and clearly had almost no training. He did know to ask and take drink orders. He was unfamiliar with the term "appetizer". The server failed to inquire how well done one diner in our group desired his steak. The appetizers came out at the same time as the entrees. Seriously, someone needs to train this young man. Putting an untrained server on the restaurant floor is restaurant malpractice.

Aside from the incompetence of the server and the odd pile of tables the food was a positive. The food tasted good, was fresh and was presented nicely. The vegetable tempura appetizer was tasty and perfectly cooked. The edamame was a bit dry and pricey at $5 for a medium-small bowl. The sushi was tasty and fresh but a bit overpriced.

I can't say I would eat here again. The service was inept and detracted from the overall experience.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank coffeelawyer
Dunwoody, Georgia
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

Kiku has the freshest and most delicious sushi in Clearwater Beach!! Right across the street from the Sandpearl Resort, this is our favorite place for sushi!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Cheryl F
Marysville MI
“Best Sushi we've ever had!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

We have been here several times while on vacation. One of our favorite items is the Blondie Salad. We live in Michigan and have a favorite sushi bar here. Kiku's beats our favorite here hands down. I think we would go to Clearwater Beach just to be able to eat here! If you like great sushi, this is the place to go. Try the Blondie Salad too, you won't be disappointed. Oh and order it mild. We tried the medium once and it was a bit spicy for us!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jennifer B
Bristol, Tennessee
“Excellent sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013 via mobile

Had dinner at Kiku after reading positive reviews. All three of us are sushi lovers so we know what we like. Each ordered two rolls and shared. Most impressive were the spicy tuna (truly had a little kick unlike most so-called spicy rolls) and the Arizona roll. All were very fresh and delicious. Loved the white ginger too! The drink(beer) menu is limited though. The ambience is dark and comfortable but we found the wooden chairs to be uncomfortable. The service was very good and attentive. The prices were what one would expect from a good sushi place. The rest of the menu looked delicious but were only there for sushi. Will definitely go back!

1 Thank 2bemullins5