“Terrible Eastern European Inspired Service”
Review of Beachwalk Inn

Beachwalk Inn
Ranked #45 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 April 2006

We made reservations for Spring Break ahead of time. We specified everything in advance including a non smoking room. And surprise, I open the door of my room and I cant even enter from the overwhelming stench of continuous cigarette smoke from the past few years. There is also no sense of organization in the motel. The "cleaning lady" also happened to run the service desk, be the day time manager and was the rudest person I have met yet. I switched to a different hotel half an hour after arriving. I will never even consider the smallest chance of stepping foot into The Ritz Motel ever again!

• Stayed: March 2006
88  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 28 June 2005

I called ahead about a month before traveling to reserve a room but after talking to the morning clerk, I decided against staying there. She was very rude on the phone and I felt as if I was being interrogated. We ended up staying in Treasure Island for a week and then heading back up to Clearwater Beach. Against my better judgment, we stopped at the Ritz. The evening desk clerk was absolutely charming and very helpful so we checked in. The room was clean and was nothing like I had expected given the appearance of the outside of the "resort". Unfortunately we had some rather seedy neighbors who decided to keep us up until about 2 a.m. (There seemed to be alot of questionable characters staying there while we were there.) When we finally got to sleep, we woke up to a rattling in the air conditioner before it finally quit leaving the room stuffy. I went down to inform the clerk the next morning and asked if we could be moved to another room. She looked at me and said in an accusing tone, "no one has ever complained about that room before", and "were you turning the unit off and on?" and that all she could do was send a maintenance man sometime to check it out, but she would NOT move us. I came to the quick conclusion that this was the rude clerk that I had spoken to on the phone before my trip. We hung in there for one more night and the maintenance man did get the unit running but you could only operate it on very cold and so we pretty much had icicles hanging from our noses the remainder of our stay. Needless to say we had to open the back window and leave the front door open just to stay comfortable.
Upon checking out the following morning I turned my key in to the NOT FRIENDLY clerk and she asked if I had left the remote to the TV in the room. I told her I had not recieved one upon checking in and she informed me that they ALWAYS give the remote upon check-in. The interrogation continued...."what room were you in?' and after I answered her she looked in the cubby hole with our room number on it and what do you know......there was the remote. "Well, it's here now", she scowled, as if I had somehow snuck it in there while she wasn't looking.
If you are looking for a place to stay where you want to be treated like a guest and not some inconvenience then this is NOT the place for you. The daytime clerk could definitely learn some lessons from the evening clerk. Kindness and courtesy are important to me. If I had been shown some, I would not be writing this review. We should have been moved to another room considering the hotel wasn't even half full or recieved an apology or offered a discount, etc. Instead we were treated as if these things were our fault. I should have gone with my gut instinct and steered clear of the Ritz. Never again.

• Stayed: June 2005, travelled on business
80  Thank paradisehunter
Reviewed 29 March 2005

This motel is a throwback to the 1950's, with simple rooms and plaster walls. The location is ideal, with the clientele mostly families. Basically, a nice place to stay for the price. However, it's obvious the owners are throwing little or no money into the motel with the condo construction boom threatening its very existence. The air conditoners are sub-standard. The room lighting is dim. The cleaning staff forgot us one day and then lied about us putting a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door handle. When they did clean the next day, they did a good job. The slavic-born managers speaking broken English are courteous, but very strict about check out and requests. The small pool is very clean. Overall, we would stay here again during spring break, but would not choose it for any other time of the year.

• Stayed: March 2005
34  Thank rossklav
elyria, ohio
Reviewed 1 January 2005

jan. 1, 2005

my husband and i returned from a months stay at the ritz resort motel on dec. 29th 2004. as usual, we enjoyed our stay there. we have gone to the ritz on eight different occasions and have ALWAYS had a wonderful stay. the rooms are clean , service is fine and the beach is right accross the street from the motel. we wouldn't go anywhere else!! the rates are very affordable for families also. the pool is clean and has a comfy atmosphere. we love it there.

22  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed 25 October 2004

We stayed in the Ritz Motel on a recent weekend visit to Clearwater. It is situated right opposite the main beach and is walking distance to any bars and restaurants in Clearwater. The rooms are very clean and functional. The staff is welcoming and friendly, and very down to earth. This motel is incredible value for money. It was less than half the price of brand name hotels and easily as nice if not better than some we looked at. It has a small pool too - but being right opposite the beach I'm not sure why you'd use it. It was a lovely stay and I recommend it highly for a very nice hotel/motel at economical prices without sacrificing any quality.

25  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed 9 August 2004

I tried to get a rate for my family on 8/9/2004 about 7:30 PM. The female who answered stated that she could not give me a price unless I told her the exact ages of my family members. I asked for 2 rooms, seven people, my children all over 18 except for one 14 years old. I told her that we would have 4 in one room and 3 in the other. She told me rudely unless I tell her what ages are staying in which room, she will not give me a price. I would never have thought that the "hospitality" business has resorted to employing such rude people. I will make sure to tell everyone I know about this "RESORT!"

Stayed: January 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 June 2004

Worst hotel I've visited, I stayed here as a child and my relatives still stay here. So, I thought it would be nice. Made reservations 2 months in advance and had 10% coupon, asked for the room on the gound floor with 2 beds, a kitchen and a couch that made out into a bed (a mini apt.) The same room my mother had when she was there in November. When we got down there, the room I wanted the said I didn't have reservations for but it was for a smaller room on the second floor. The price quoted to me was wrong and it would be $40 more a night for our 3 night stay. Then they said my 10% off coupon was for walk-ins only, which is not stated on the coupon or told to me when I made the reservations and the only thing the told us was that there was nothing we could do except to pay the extra money or take the smaller room. And there was no one or nothing we could do about it. My mother or I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2004