The hotel is from 1941. Parking is under the structure in this sun-filled climate. Nice!
Our room 220 was adjacent to the hotel entry on the second floor and was nice. It smelled nice too, while there was a faint odor of mildew in the elevator. There was a sideways view of the sea and the room was out of the morning sun.
Someone with too much weight in his hands had removed the handrail into the tub from its foundation, but it has been repaired. Maybe she should have skipped all the cookies for breakfast in the future?
The room is equipped with a CRT TV. It has to be switched on manually, but otherwise a remote does the zapping. There is plenty of floor space to move around, even for a traveler with many suitcases like us.
The beds were of course “heavenly” and the pillows were not of the “hard rubber type” found in other hotels. They were soft and tender.
There is a nice pool between the hotel and the highway to Clearwater Beach running along the beach. There are deck chairs, a table or two to have your lunch and even a chair for the handicapped to be winched into the pool.
The fitness room is next to the breakfast room and there is no blinds to the outside traffic. Neither is it access by room key only, as the door is unlocked. We turned off the lights to have more privacy. There were no water, nor wet swipes to clean the equipment. The rowing machine seem to have participated in the battle of Baghdad, but it all worked.
What is not nice about this hotel is the luggage carts. They have had their expected lifetime cycle and should be replaced. They are wobbly, the smallest we have seen under the Choice “umbrella” (47 hotels so far) and is a challenge to steer in the right direction. Seen a drunken driver with a DUI level of 3? Well that's me pushing the cart!
I was given a password for the Net, but coming form a similar hotel in Ft. Myers with the same layout, I did not have to use the password. I got however thrown out again and again and had to log on again and again. This is irritating and very different from Starbucks, Target stores and Staples. They recognize you as a former visiting customer all over the US. The Wi-Fi signal around the pool was poor.
The breakfast room was a bit like the musical chairs. You really had to run for a free table in the morning. People were eating all over the place, not only int the breakfast room but in the lobby and outside the hotel. There is free space just outside the breakfast room to move the wall. It would be the cheapest extension ever in a hotel and the guest would be more happy. That would be a win-win?
I stayed out on the Clearwater Beach back in 1989. Would i come back to this hotel? Probably not.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Comfort Suites(R) hotel has just been fully renovated and is perfectly located three miles from Clearwater Beach and Downtown Dunedin. Popular attractions, including Honeymoon Island State Park, Countryside Mall and St. Petersburg College, are about five miles from this Clearwater, FL hotel. The St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport is eight miles away.Historic downtown Dunedin and Pinellas Trail are both just minutes from the hotel. A variety of business parks, specialty shops and historic areas are also close by.Numerous restaurants and cocktail lounges are located in the area, including Island Way Grille, McDonald's, Sea Sea Riders, Shells Seafood, Bob Heilman's and Frenchy's.Guests are invited to enjoy many superior amenities, including free coffee in the lobby, free local calls, free weekday newspaper, fitness center, outdoor heated pool and hot tub. Your Morning Breakfast is full of hot and delicious options, making breakfast at Comfort Suites the perfect way to start your day. Enjoy our free hot breakfast featuring eggs, meat, yogurt and fresh fruit, cereal and more, including your choice of hot waffle flavors! If you're leaving early, a Your Suite Success™ Grab & Go bag is available for the two hours prior to breakfast.For business travelers, this Clearwater, FL hotel provides conveniences like free high-speed Internet access, voice mail and access to copy and fax services.All spacious suites feature microwaves, refrigerators, coffee makers, hair dryers, irons, ironing boards and expanded cable. The hotel also provides coin-operated laundry facilities for guest convenience.The lush Florida landscape, breathtaking views and ideal location make the Comfort Suites hotel a great place for anyone visiting the Clearwater area. We will exceed your expectations with our exceptional service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Choice Hotels, Odigeo, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Comfort Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Hotel Clearwater
- Comfort Suites Clearwater, Florida
- Clearwater Comfort Suites