I have to qualify this review that we are not fans of "Choice" hotel properties which includes Comfort Suites - but thought we would give this property a try for one night given it's location to Clearwater Marine Aquarium which we were going to the next day. Suffice to say it did not entice us to try more Choice properties - and the family couldn't wait to leave the next morning.
Front lobby floor and elevator were not that clean (maybe chock that up to being near the beach and people tracking in sand). Room was two queens plus small pullout couch with a very unusally sized small TV given the size of room and furniture it sat on - are flat screens really that expensive these days that you have to buy a tiny TV? room was a bit disappointing on cleanliness - closet had obviously not been vacuumed and peanuts everywhere - big stain on the comforter sheet (which staff replaced quickly - but still cleaning staff should have a look at the bed they are making to verify the sheets are clean - that's easy stuff to not screw up on). Old school window airconditioner that is very loud - in the summer heat you have to have it on at night, but if you are a light sleeper - makes sleeping an issue due to noise. Sound bled through from the next room very easily, especially the TV late at night. Bathroom fan didn't work. Bathroom looks to have the tile updated to a cheap white subway tile - but the silicone at the tile/tub border had mould on it - this is also something easy that hotels shouldn't fail at - replacing silcone is cheap and easy but gives a terrible look when you throw open the shower curtain. The big fail was the smell in the bathroom of vomit - chalk that up to some kind of odd smell coming up through the drains. At this point we just wanted to sleep and exit early in the am.
It's located on a tight lot in a residential area on the border of Dunedin just a short drive from Clearwater Beach across the road from a vacant lot and residential homes who must love being beside a busy hotel. Rooms facing the north side look out at a mass of palm trees so the view was nonexistent - ask for the south side if you want to see anything out of the room.
This property would compete in midscale in the franchised world of U.S. hotels but really only comes across as economy. It looks to be renovated in 2013 but still has kind of an older vibe to it - probably the drab brown colour scheme of the walls and doors which just screams 70's motel. Granite bathroom countertop, dark brown wood furniture, designer lights etc but still all has a very cheap feel to it - like the taps that squeek even though they are less than a year old, so it doesn't live up to the midscale class.
Breakfast was I have to say not that great - very cramped room with little seating space - compared to other midscale competitors they get outclassed on choices and was pretty basic. For a hotel at capacity it just seemed inadequate on space and offering - very limited on anything healthy - coffee was simply awful and we threw it out. Need to add more chairs for more spaces for 4's and families , and consider pushing out the breakfast area room out 30 feet into the parking lot which is currently not even use for anything - which would allow for an indoor lounge area when breakfast isn't on which many Fairfields, Holiday Inn Expressand Hampton Inns have. Carpet in the breakfast room also would change the vibe a lot to seem less like a church basement social.
Very small pool but does the job for a family, but probably half the size of a typical midscale pool - but probably all they could have done given the lot size. Parking is tight but looks like everyone got a spot when the hotel was at capacity.
Location is great - but there is some easy stuff that the hotel could do better at, and if you are used to a typical midscale vibe this isn't it. If you usually stay at economy hotels, you probably will find this OK and the cost would be attractive for being within 10 min of Clearwater beaches.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Comfort Suites(R) hotel has just been fully renovated and is perfectly located three miles from Clearwater Beach and Downtown Dunedin. Popular attractions, including Honeymoon Island State Park, Countryside Mall and St. Petersburg College, are about five miles from this Clearwater, FL hotel. The St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport is eight miles away.Historic downtown Dunedin and Pinellas Trail are both just minutes from the hotel. A variety of business parks, specialty shops and historic areas are also close by.Numerous restaurants and cocktail lounges are located in the area, including Island Way Grille, McDonald's, Sea Sea Riders, Shells Seafood, Bob Heilman's and Frenchy's.Guests are invited to enjoy many superior amenities, including free coffee in the lobby, free local calls, free weekday newspaper, fitness center, outdoor heated pool and hot tub. Your Morning Breakfast is full of hot and delicious options, making breakfast at Comfort Suites the perfect way to start your day. Enjoy our free hot breakfast featuring eggs, meat, yogurt and fresh fruit, cereal and more, including your choice of hot waffle flavors! If you're leaving early, a Your Suite Success™ Grab & Go bag is available for the two hours prior to breakfast.For business travelers, this Clearwater, FL hotel provides conveniences like free high-speed Internet access, voice mail and access to copy and fax services.All spacious suites feature microwaves, refrigerators, coffee makers, hair dryers, irons, ironing boards and expanded cable. The hotel also provides coin-operated laundry facilities for guest convenience.The lush Florida landscape, breathtaking views and ideal location make the Comfort Suites hotel a great place for anyone visiting the Clearwater area. We will exceed your expectations with our exceptional service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Choice Hotels, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Comfort Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Hotel Clearwater
- Comfort Suites Clearwater, Florida
- Clearwater Comfort Suites