“Mille mercis!”

Salt N Pepper Bistro
Price range: US$18 - US$30
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: We are a small family own and operated Bistro. All our cooking is done at order using fresh ingredients. We carry a nice selection of meat, seafood and fresh pasta dish. We also serve savory or sweet crepes.We offer a very nice selection of imported Paulaner beer and a large variety of wine by the glass or bottle. Our Bistro is small so please make a reservation.
Reviewed 29 May 2014

As a francophile, I have traveled to France, and sampled, extensively, her varied and great regional cuisine. Recently, while in Clearwater with dear friends, we dined at Salt N Pepper, upon the recommendation of Trip Adviser. This is a real bistro in every sense; the menu is limited, and the food is fresh, and immediately prepared. The building itself is unassuming; its interior, however, is warm and charming.
We were greeted by Beth, whose comfortable personality made us feel as if we were dining in her home. Her husband, Jean-Claude is the chef. They are both from Antibes; its warmth accounts for the warmth of Salt N Pepper.
As an appetizer, I had escargots, delicately flavored with a basil sauce, served over home made puffed pastry. The escargots were succulent, and the pastry was feather-light. As a main, I had canard a l'orange. The duck, medium rare, was done to perfection. The sauce with this iconic dish can be ruined, too often, by a sauce which is treacly and too thick. However, Jean Claude produced a sauce which was light, delicate, with orange jest, finely julienned, and delicately sweetened. This was absolutely one of the finest examples of this dish I have had, in or out of France.
Everyone in our company reported that his or her meal was a chef-d'oeuvre. Masterpiece also describes the dessert which we all shared. We ordered a wonderful patisserie aux pommes, just one, to be shared between five of us. Well, we each,stoically, said, just one bite. This delicacy seduced us all. One bite led to another, and then another, and our diets were left in tatters.
Jean Claude came out to greet all diners that evening. He has a wonderful, embracing personality, We tried to convince him and Beth to close the Clearwater bistro, and reopen in our up state New York town of Ithaca. To the advantage of Clearwater, they declined.
If you are in Clearwater, run to Salt N Pepper. You will experience the finest French cuisine in or outside of France.

1  Thank Joe T

Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Can't wait to come back & I'm still in the parking lot after a great meal!
It was a quiet night at Salt & Pepper, we were greeted w/a friendly smile from Beth. This is a small family restaurant, clean & warm atmosphere.
Our cold cut app was tasty, served with fresh warm bread, simple salad topped w/dressing. Our crepes came next..fresh made to order. My bolognese crepe was filled w/a full bodied meat sauce & just the right amount of cheese, a bit of Italy wrapped in French arms. My sisters shrimp selection was tasty and equally great.
However the best was yet to come....our lemon dessert crepe, fresh whipped cream, crystallized sugar & creamy lemon filling! It does not get better than this.
Couldn't wait to meet the chef - again another enjoyable encounter
Well done Hats off to Salt & Pepper

1  Thank jhb944
Reviewed 22 May 2014

At first glance, this restaurant is not very eye catching. We came here because of the review on trip advisor, and literally passed right by it without noticing it. We turned around, and when we parked and were getting out of our car, we were changing our mind about going inside, it did not look very fancy outside. I went with my friend, and I told her "lets not judge a book by its cover", so we headed inside. OMG, the inside is beautiful, it looks elegant, small and super homey. As soon as we sat down, the lady who we later found out was the wife of the Chef brought us water and lighted a candle for us. It is owned and managed by a lovely couple, who you can tell are sincere, and really care about their guests. Needless to say, this is the BEST pasta I've ever had. I was literally in heaven the whole time I was eating. We had the pleasure of meeting the chef, who went around the tables meeting his guests. He told us he hand made the pasta (so no boxed pasta here), as well as the sauces. He let us know all the ingredients are fresh, and that he cooked food he himself would like to eat. You could tell he is very passionate about what he does. The main dishes themselves run from $19.99 to around $30. Appetizers go for around $10, and a glass of wine for about $6. Before your main dish they bring out fresh bread and a salad with a vinaigrette sauce that was delicious as well. When my main dish came (I asked for the pasta with the blue cheese sauce, forgot the actual name) what caught my attention was how juicy and creamy the pasta sauce looked. When I put it in my mouth, it just got filled with diverse flavors with the blue cheese being the main one, but not to strong. The texture of the pasta was just right (not to thin nor to thick, and very smooth). Over all this is I think the best restaurant I've been to ever. I live in Orlando, but that 2 hour drive would be worth it any time.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

This restaurant is small in size, but huge in flavor and personality. We had a very enjoyable dinner at the Salt and Pepper. We started with the escargots that were served on puff pastry. This is not traditional, but the puff pastry was flakey and delicious. My husband had the duck la orange and I had the chicken porcini, both were cooked to perfection. Each dish was served with luscious potatoes and perfectly steamed veggies. The chef stopped by the table and made us feel as though he was there strictly for us. Although we live about an hour away, this is not our last visit—it is well worth the drive.

1  Thank SFlaHales
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

My daughter graduated college last night and we used the occasion to visit the salt and pepper bistro. She and her boyfriend had visited a few times before and raved about it. I wasn't disappointed, Jean-claude and beth were both on the ball. Beth was very friendly and attentive and the cuisine coming from the kitchen was incredible. Wine and beer selections were very good, appetizers were tasty and the main course was outstanding...the dessert was out of this world...service was top notch. Prices' were moderate for the portions given...a great experience..

1  Thank Paul P