“Travelled ONE HOUR FOR DISAPPOINTMENT”

Surf-Style Flowrider Indoor Surfing Wave Machine
More attraction details
Owner description: The FlowRider Indoor surf machines let surfers practice without subjecting them to the dangers of strong undertows, jagged rocks, and sharks that denounce the value of a college degree. Amid Surf Style's cavalcade of retail shops, the rushing tides of the FlowRider artificial surf machine lures thrill seekers of all ages. A combination of surfing, snowboarding, and skateboarding, FlowRider, which has been featured in the St. Petersburg Times, challenges wave gliders to balance atop surging currents reminiscent of Mother Nature's towering waves. A soft riding surface absorbs inevitable wipeouts, and windows flank the sides of the surf center, allowing onlookers to peer in during each radical carving session. Catering to experienced boarders and rookies alike, FlowRider affords enough riding space to practice tricks, hone skills, and pump veins with more adrenaline than the amount that results from making friends with a T-shirt cannon.Free parking is available inside Surf Style's sprawling garage, which touts a 44-foot-tall marine mural crafted by Guy Harvey. Although not included with today's Groupon, visitors can also take advantage of the beach emporium's retail shops, restaurant, and convenience store.
Lakenheath, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Travelled ONE HOUR FOR DISAPPOINTMENT”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

I saw a flyer in the hotel we were staying and wanted to try it out. Not sure what day we would be able to go we didn't book it online. I watched a couple times the livestream and was very excited to go!
We decided to go after dinner and since it's an hour drive we got there at 10:05. No problem because it supposedly closes at 11. We entered the store and saw that the wave machine was turned off. Walking in we asked a staff around us what was going on. She confidently informs us that it closes at 10 and walks away.
Walking up the counter we also get the response that they closed it at 10 and not 11 and they couldn't turn it back on. ARE YOU JOKING? HOW ARE YOU NOT RESPECTING YOUR BUSINESS HOURS?!

Waste of time this place. Horrible staff.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank JenniferBlond
SurfStyleRetail, Public Relations Manager at Surf-Style Flowrider Indoor Surfing Wave Machine, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Hi Jennifer,

I am really sorry about the experience you had with our FlowRider. Our website does show our correct hours of operations but our voicemail was not updated. We accept full responsibility for this and sincerely apologize for this incident. We are fixing our voicemail to clear up any future confusion.

I would like to invite you back for a ride on the house. Please contact me at Emily@surfstyle.com if you would like to set this up.

chicago
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Rainy day fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

Something to do on a cold rainy day fun thing to watch great location and great shopping as well! Plus writing all this gets you $2 off!

Visited January 2014
MICHIGAN
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER WILL BE ON FULL DISPLAY”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

WARNING: Stayed for a couple of nights next door at the Hyatt and wandered over here for my teenagers to see about using our Groupon and do some surfing. 3 separate times we stood at the "booking / reservation" desk and watched the store personnel take a reservation. There is a RESERVATION SCREEN monitor on the desk that FACES the general public. This is very handy as you can walk right up and see which time slots are avail, as well as how many people are currently booked for the time slot you are interested in. The HUGE problem is when the phone rings and the store personnel answers the call and proceeds to book a reservation. The PUBLIC viewing monitor flips from the "time slots status" screen to a reservation booking record. The clerk proceeds to type in the persons name, full address, BIRTHDATE, phone number. Then, THEY INPUT YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER AND EXP. DATE on the screen in FULL VIEW OF CUSTOMERS STANDING THERE.

After observing this 3 different times, I finally asked to see a manager and explained what I observed. The guy I spoke to brushed it off and said "we've never had problems or complaints". OMG And WHAT THE HECK is the owner thinking? How STUPID are they?

Other than this little issue - the surf thingy is GREAT and my boys had a BLAST! They booked the last time slot of the day (10:30 I think it was) and they were the only 2 people in there. The young man working with them on the surfer was EXCELLENT (don't remember his name - he used to sell jet-ski's or something) and he helped make it an OUTSTANDING experience for my guys.

Visited November 2013
5 Thank HAYDEVIN
SurfStyleRetail, Public Relations Manager at Surf-Style Flowrider Indoor Surfing Wave Machine, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Hello Haydevin,
Thank you for bringing this process to our attention. I assure you it was not our intent to display customer’s credit card and other sensitive information to the general public. I completely agree with you that displaying personal information is unacceptable and bad business. We have recently updated our software at the FlowRider desk. It was our intent for those screens to show customers the time slots available, and not the back end of the booking screen. I have our engineers taking corrective actions as we speak. Unfortunately our IT department and corporate offices are located miles and miles away from Clearwater allowing oversights like this to happen. I appreciate your constructive review and am glad to hear that your boys had a great time on the FlowRider!
Thanks,
Emily Harris
St. Petersburg, Florida
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“WOW that was really fun!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Just took the kids to go indoor surfing at Surf Style and that was crazy fun. We used a groupon deal and had a blast for a great price. I am 30 years a real surfer, and while this was NOTHING like real surfing, it was still a blast. It was also very safe as I took what I thought for sure would be some bad tumbles and just got pushed into the safe zone by the current. MY kids did awesome and had such a good time. The lifeguard on duty was great, he worked with little kids that were there as well, making sure they had a great time. He also helped us figure it out and kept everything running smoothly. The store itself is huge, a great selection of touristy/beachy stuff(sorry I'm a local so this stuff does nothing for me :-P ) I also had the good fortune of seeing some cancer patient kids get treated like royalty by the Flowrider lifeguard staff, it was great to see these kids smiling and having fun :')

Unfortunately, the staff inside the Flowrider are the only ones who seem to actually like their jobs at Surf Style. There have been some bad reviews if you are using a groupon deal that the staff will treat you badly...I don't know if badly is right, more like indifferent. It is a beach side tourist shop run and staffed by disinterested teenagers and 20'somethings so you shouldn't expect great service anyway unless you are a big spender who is going to get them a huge commission. The staff is the only reason I am not giving this a higher mark, it was above average but only barely...To the owners, get your staffed a little more pumped up about EVERY SINGLE PERSON coming through the door and you stand to get many returns out of it...

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Mike T
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“please don't use a groupon and expect to be treated well.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

It was supposed to be a great birthday present, but unfortunately I didn't read the posts. I agree 100% if you use a groupon you might as well stay home. As a parent of a very excited 10 year old I can not say how disappointed& appalled by the treatment of her. She had 2 hours of surf fun, but she was made to wait for people that only had 30 min sessions. after the first 30 & my daughter went 2xs I started to count. in 1&1/2 hours she went the same amount as everyone that were on 1/2 sessions. She was also told after 3 tries on the board she could only do the body board. We watched as the instructors held the rope for customers but let go of rope when immediately when my daughter was up.I will never suggest surf style to anyone which is too bad a fun ideas if you pay full price, are a teenager or a young blonde if that's not you don't go. very sad not worth our 2 hour drive, not worth the price paid, not worth our time, most definitely not worth my daughter's tears and heart break of being singled out. Do not give any business to surf style save yourself!!

Visited November 2013
2 Thank simba6811
SurfStyleRetail, Public Relations Manager at Surf-Style Flowrider Indoor Surfing Wave Machine, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Hello,

I truly apologize for your experience when using the FlowRider with a groupon.

I would like to speak with you about what happened in the hopes that I can improve the customer experience.

Please contact me at erin@surf-style.com at your earliest convenience and I will take care of you.

Thank you for your feedback and apologies again.