“Great fun bad customer service”

Surf-Style Flowrider Indoor Surfing Wave Machine
More attraction details
Owner description: The FlowRider Indoor surf machines let surfers practice without subjecting them to the dangers of strong undertows, jagged rocks, and sharks that denounce the value of a college degree. Amid Surf Style's cavalcade of retail shops, the rushing tides of the FlowRider artificial surf machine lures thrill seekers of all ages. A combination of surfing, snowboarding, and skateboarding, FlowRider, which has been featured in the St. Petersburg Times, challenges wave gliders to balance atop surging currents reminiscent of Mother Nature's towering waves. A soft riding surface absorbs inevitable wipeouts, and windows flank the sides of the surf center, allowing onlookers to peer in during each radical carving session. Catering to experienced boarders and rookies alike, FlowRider affords enough riding space to practice tricks, hone skills, and pump veins with more adrenaline than the amount that results from making friends with a T-shirt cannon.Free parking is available inside Surf Style's sprawling garage, which touts a 44-foot-tall marine mural crafted by Guy Harvey. Although not included with today's Groupon, visitors can also take advantage of the beach emporium's retail shops, restaurant, and convenience store.
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Booked three kids ages 12, 10 and 7 for their first time. Online offered extra session for $10 but wanted to make sure they could even do it. Within 3 minutes of them starting I knew they would want to continue. I was told it would be an additional $60 and that the online offers weren't available in store. I explained I wanted to make sure they could do it before booking extra time and even talked to a manager who was somewhat rude and dismissive. Didn't really care to listen. I even pointed out an in store offer for $40 extra and she said it couldn't be added to what I purchased online (which was same price in store). I would've probably booked another hour my kids were having so much fun but instead we left. It almost seems like a bait and switch situation and its too bad because it was a fun time.

3  Thank kmalkra

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Loved the fact that this was an activity that my 7 year old could do and he enjoyed. Very friendly staff!

Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Had a great time trying the flowride. Although I surf since I'm 10 years old, this experience was a lot more difficult then I expected.
It's a fun harmless ride, wich can be awesome for people of every age.
There were only me and two more guys, so it was great 'cause I didn't have to wait too long between my rides, but they say the limit of people inside is 8, what seems to be too much. Maybe it wasn't so cool with so many people inside.
So, check for an empty slot of time and go for it!

Reviewed 23 February 2014

flow rider was very entertaining. Lot of fun to watch. The store is a one stop shop for all of your souvenir/beach/surfing/boarding/blading needs. Lots of reasonably priced merchandise.
I wish I could purchase their store jingle, I would like to use it for my cell phone ringtone! Its catchy and annoying at the same time.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I saw a flyer in the hotel we were staying and wanted to try it out. Not sure what day we would be able to go we didn't book it online. I watched a couple times the livestream and was very excited to go!
We decided to go after dinner and since it's an hour drive we got there at 10:05. No problem because it supposedly closes at 11. We entered the store and saw that the wave machine was turned off. Walking in we asked a staff around us what was going on. She confidently informs us that it closes at 10 and walks away.
Walking up the counter we also get the response that they closed it at 10 and not 11 and they couldn't turn it back on. ARE YOU JOKING? HOW ARE YOU NOT RESPECTING YOUR BUSINESS HOURS?!

Waste of time this place. Horrible staff.

2  Thank JenniferBlond
SurfStyleRetail, Public Relations Manager at Surf-Style Flowrider Indoor Surfing Wave Machine, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Hi Jennifer,

I am really sorry about the experience you had with our FlowRider. Our website does show our correct hours of operations but our voicemail was not updated. We accept full responsibility for this and sincerely apologize for this incident. We are fixing our voicemail to clear up any future confusion.

I would like to invite you back for a ride on the house. Please contact me at Emily@surfstyle.com if you would like to set this up.