“Family recipe Indian food but not a culinary experience.”

Deeya Indian Cuisine
Ranked #156 of 690 Restaurants in Clearwater
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly
Belleair Beach, Florida
“Family recipe Indian food but not a culinary experience.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

I say family recipe because all the prepared, non-tandoori, dishes all have very similar tastes; not unlike my grand mother's Italian. Oh, I still love my grandma's food but its very much based on her tastes, which reflect a narrower range of cooking options, seasoning, etc..

We went last night (Saturday) and started with splitting some daal soup. It was very nice. A little less lentil than we remember for this soup and a little more starchy (consistency) than we also remembered.

VEGETARIANS, take note...We ordered the cauliflower and potato dish and a green peas and potato dish. Both were very similar in construction and taste. Both vegetable dishes were actually greasy. The cauliflower dish was "swimming" in grease and In fact for both dishes, the longer they sat the more grease came to the surface. Now keep in mind, they're vegetable dishes. Why the heck do you need so much fat when Indian food has such good complexities adding so much fat not only "smooths" out the complexities, which is not preferred, it doesn't really add much in taste but makes the "vegetable" dish so unhealthy. The server saw this before bringing to the table and he also noticed how greasy it was(after we brought it to his attention). Furthermore the owner looked at it afterwards and agreed it was WAY TOO GREASY. I'm thinking "hey, then why did you both let this get brought to the table?". I felt bad for my fiance, who's vegan, because it was her birthday meal and we wanted to do something special.

Additionally they served my tandoori dish as if it was Mexican fajitas, with butter on the hot plate of onions and green peppers (the server and owner confirmed it was butter). Yes, it came out sizzling and smoky, which frankly is a tradition I've not seen a many really special Indian restaurants but more for the "masses" kind of places, but the butter added NOTHING in the way of taste except to make all of the grilled veges greasy and the meats greasy on the bottom. Other than the grease, the tandoori dish had very good flavor. How much grease? Well I lifted the dish at one end and the greasy butter "pooled" at the other end.

We also had garlic naan, and frankly, after looking at all the other dishes, it was also greasy with yellow butter lathered up over the all the slices.

The owner was nice and allowed us to replace it with another dish, but by then, my fiance was "done" and nothing could assuage her. They kindly removed the main offending cauliflower dish but I really wished they had removed both.

I tried to explain this to the owner who informed me that "some people just don't like grease so please let us know on your next visit and we wont put it on". This is EXACTLY something my grandmother would say in defense of HER family dishes.

The bottom line, really great Indian food that is a culinary experience has many complex features that are not obscured by using so much fat.

Its true, this IS the best Indian restaurant that I've been to in the area but that just tells you how low the bar is in the Tampa/St. Pete area when it comes to any ethnic food.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank insider64

Fort Myers, Florida
“Indian food at its best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

The spices and flavors of the chicken and vegetable dinners we ordered were superb. The wine, bread and cucumber sauce complimented the main dishes and created a wonderful experience for our party. The service staff treated us as guests at their table. I recommend this dinning experience.

• Visited April 2013
“excellent, rich, creamy food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

was in Clear water beach last month. We wanted to eat at indian restaurant and this popped up first on google. We are a young couple from india. Let me get this straight first. I LOVED THE FOOD. HANDS DOWN. I like spicy food with rich cream and this is exactly what they served. I had fish curry and biryani. My wife had vegetarian stuff. we both loved the food.

The chai at the end of our dinner was a fantastic addition. The owner of the restaurant was very welcoming. My wife and she both talked at a length. We actually went two nights in a row. If you want Indian food at clearwater , this is the place to go.

It would be a little difficult to find the place though. You should basically go to the AMC cinema complex and you cannot miss this place.

2 Thank Lanikai4life
Largo, Florida
“Awesome food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

I was actually meeting up some friends in Applebees, but I ended up taking the wrong turn to the entrance and I saw the sign for Deeya. I love Indian food, and so I thought I would give it a try since it is so close to my home. So this week, I was really in the mood for some Indian food, so I finally stopped by. And boy am I glad that I made that wrong turn. I went for dinner and I was pleasantly surprised. Most Indian restaurants can be on the tacky side, but I found the decor at this restaurant to be quite nice for a restaurant of its size. Also, the food was really good. I won't say that I am an expert, but I do know what I like and what I don't. From the first bite, you could tell that the food is really fresh and well-prepared. The quantity and quality of the food were both excellent. Will be coming again soon.

2 Thank Madison J
Lexington, KY
“very good indian food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

being an indian myself, i always try to compare the food here to the food (read authentic food) i eat in india. and its pretty awesome... tasty, well cooked, medium spicey... was in the clearwater beach on a vacation and found this restaurant on google (searched for indian restaurant near clearwater beach)

only negative would be the chairs that have wheels under them which makes them move a lot, especially 5 year old had trouble keeping the chair constantly at one place.. (maybe i d have gotten a normal chair if i had asked ,but i never did ask them)

the couple that owns this place was very affable

read few bad reviews (on google, i think) and i certainly disagree with those..

kids liked the food as well.

2 Thank rsriram22