“Scrumptious ”
Review of Island Way Grill

Island Way Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Island Way Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 768 Restaurants in Clearwater
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

Kamikaze sushi was great, it presented as a meal instead of a traditional roll and it was savory, the cream cheese made it finish wonderfully. Woodford grilled Grouper was cooked perfectly but needed a bit more flavor. Wasabi mashed potatoes were very good. House Blue Cheese dressing was excellent. Sampler dessert platter was great with the chocolate cake and ice cream being the best by far. We will return. Excellent A+ atmosphere.

BaystarRestaurant, Guest Relations Manager at Island Way Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate the A+ :-)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,768)

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

Saturday night without reservations but got high top in busy bar area with very good service. Awesome soft shell crabs. Great jasmine rice bowl Chicken and steak great. Great drinks too

Thank you for the 5 star rating!

Reviewed 5 October 2017

Firstly I would like to say that the food we ate on our visit was excellent. The restaurant is also in a great location and has a beautiful setting when sitting outside. Its extremely clean inside and out however the lighting is a little dim when sitting outside. Upon arrival to the restaurant we were greeted by front of house and didn't have to wait long until we were seated. Our server for the night introduced himself and gave us a few moments to decide what we would like to drink. Whilst waiting he advised us he would bring some water for the table. When he returned to our table with the water he dropped a glass of water over my daughter and the glass smashed close to her foot.
Not only was I disappointed he didn't move our table immediately but I assisted him cleaning up the glass. The meal served was excellent and none of my family had any concerns.
At the end of the meal he bought the bill/cheque and I left my credit card on the tray to pay. Whilst waiting for him to collect the tray I went to the bar to fetch some change for a "Tip" (Gratuity). I returned and passed on the "Tip" even after his initial accident.
Upon the return journey home from the restaurant in our taxi my daughter informed me that he had approached her and advised we hadn't left any gratuity. Firstly it concerns me that he had approached my 14 year old daughter as she wasn't paying the bill. It also aggrieves me that he had the cheek to even after ask for a tip following his calamity at the start. They should of been offering me a discount if anything. I don't really agree with the whole tip thing in the US and you can automatically add 20% to the final bill before budgeting for a meal. However I believed that a "Tip" is obligatory in the US, this however isn't the case. If your not happy with your service DO NOT leave any gratuity!

BaystarRestaurant, Guest Relations Manager at Island Way Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your honest opinions. Our owner Frank Chivas would like the opportunity to speak with you direct regarding your unpleasant experience. He has asked that you connect with him via cell or email (whichever you prefer) - he can be reached at 727-480-6704 or frank@baystarrestaurantgroup.com - Thank you in advance!

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

On our most recent trip to Clearwater Beach last weekend, my wife and I returned to the grill for dinner on Sat night. As always, the food was fantastic. A wide array of fresh seafood, great sides, even fresh sushi and a raw bar with several varieties of northeast oysters. It stormed an hour before we arrived so the patio was closed in a hurry and everyone must have rushed inside to dodge the rain. On our arrival, it was chaos inside. Understandably our dinner reservation was delayed, but it was very difficult to get ANY service at the bar, and when we were finally waited on, the young man was clearly struggling in his bartender role. Several customers before us were irate, we took it in stride but noted that it was atypical for this higher-end restaurant in Clearwater Beach. We had wished the weather held out because it’s one of our favorite patio dining spots, but our waiter saved the day and ensured that our experience was a good one. My sushi bowl was fresh and delicious, and the grouper was equally superb. The under-cover valet parking really came in handy though during the thunderstorm and we stayed dry. All in all, Island Way Grill is one of the best restaurants in Clearwater Beach despite some sporadic lapses in the service quality.

BaystarRestaurant, Guest Relations Manager at Island Way Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review! We really appreciate all of the feedback! We look forward to having you back soon!

Reviewed 2 October 2017

My husband and I had dinner at the Island Way Grill, Island Estates, Clearwater last night, along with two other couples. I ordered the "Onion Encrusted Salmon" special that came with soup, vegetables, and dessert. The salmon was so dry with two pieces of small onion crisp, the vegetables were practically uncooked, portions minimal, soup was served with a "plastic" teaspoon (!), and the dessert was a dried out brownie with a dab of ice cream also served with a "plastic" spoon!!. My husband's salad was wilted with brown edges. Furthermore, the waiter was less than cordial and bordered on flat rude! We definitely will not be returning and now understand why there were hardly any people there.

BaystarRestaurant, General Manager at Island Way Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017