“Step back in time”

Ranked #28 of 717 Restaurants in Clearwater
Price range: US$15 - US$50
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Since 1948 Fresh Seafood, Prime Steaks Award Winning Wine List, Generous Cocktails located in beautiful Clearwater Beach Florida
Reviewed 6 November 2006

Elegant surroundings and teriffic food. I had black grouper-among the best I have ever had. Husband had a filet-could have been a bit juicier. Overall, although expensive, we really enjoyed both the food and the atmosphere.

3  Thank HWAYMI

Reviewed 9 August 2006

I've eaten at the Beachcomber on numerous occasions. I have never been unhappy with the service nor the food. For the price, it is about as good as it gets. I love the atmosphere (white tablecloths and napkins, lovely china, courteous service) and the food is very good. The relish tray is wonderful. Highly recommended for locals and for visitors.

6  Thank thms-connors
Reviewed 26 June 2006

My husband and I went to Beachcomber for dinner before a show this past weekend. We went early, about 5:15 so it was not very busy. The atmosphere was really quite nice, not what I expected from previous reviews. It did not seem outdated at all.

The waiter did not seem to know the menu well, but he was very attentive. We needed to rush things so I mentioned what time we had to leave and he had our dinner out pronto! He stood by and was just a call away anytime we needed something.

The food was very good, but definitely not the best filet I've ever had. $30 is pricey for just pretty good. My husband had the famous chicken and seemed to enjoy it. The dark chocolate ice cream was especially good.

Overall, it was a nice dinner. We'll definitely go back when we can spend more time and enjoy it.

7  Thank vmh1015
Reviewed 27 February 2006

I'll start by saying that I was a waiter here about thirty years ago, and we were back in Clearwater as a family for a visit.
The thing that impressed me most about our dinner experience was how little things had changed. Of course the dining room had been updated to a certain degree, but really not that much - a wonderful white tablecloth restaurant.
The menu was virtually unchanged, which suited me just fine - as the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, why fix it?"

I'll conclude by saying the food and service were both outstanding and prices were very fair for the quality provided. I would highly recommend Heilman's.

8  Thank BernieMaggie
Reviewed 2 February 2006

My boyfriend and I recently visited the Beachcomber to celebrate our anniversary. I made reservations for a Saturday which was quite crowded but we were seated within 20 minutes of our reserved time. The restaurant itself is beautiful, with dark wood, stark white tablecloths, fine china and silverware and decorated in a nautical theme.

Their wine menu is huge and is offered by the bottle or for $9 a glass. The restaurant specializes in steak. A complimentary cracker and jelly tray is served first, followed by various breads (banana bread, poppy, italian) and salad or soup. My boyfriend had the filet mignon steak ($30 including salad and potatoe) which he said was good but not worth the price. The restaurant does not serve ranch dressing, which I found strange considering how popular is.

I had the free range chicken, which included a salad, potatoe and vegetable. For $15.99 you get 5 pieces of chicken, but it honestly reminded me of KFC, with barely any meat on the bones. I also found it to be dry. The mashed potatoes and asparagus were tasty.

For over $60 with tip, this meal was average. Most of the clientele were of retirement age and there seemed to be many regulars. I would recommend this place for those looking for an elegant night out, but food wise I'd say stick to the Outback for a good steak.

9  Thank beachlover325