“Incompetent and Rude Management”
Review of Surf n' Sand

Surf n' Sand
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The motel is nicely situated and the building and the furnishings are acceptable for the price. What made Surf N' Sand thoroughly unpleasant was the incompetence and lack of professionalism of the manager and the complete indifference of many of the young girls who staff the reception desk.
We arrived on Wed, morning July 9. Check-in was fine and we were pleased with the view of the bay. Immediately upon arriving in the room, I tried to access the Wi-Fi; it was out. I asked the manager if there was a problem and she told me a technician would be by shortly to fix it. At the end of day, I asked the girl at the desk the status. She said the technician never came (I asked her if she called him, and she looked at me blankly). The next day (Thur), I returned to the room at 2PM from the beach to work. There was still no Wi-Fi and the room had not been cleaned. I spoke to the manager and was told that the technician still had not arrived. As for the room not being cleaned, the manager said that there is now a $15.00 daily fee to have the room cleaned. I said fine, I have no problem paying and asked that the room be cleaned. I suggested however that the professional way of approaching this is to have it on the Website. She assured me that it is on the Website. I returned to the room at 6PM.....no Wi-Fi and the room still has not been cleaned. The girl on duty then tells me they only have one cleaning lady and she only cleans when she wants to....that the manager has no control over her. On Friday morning, I stopped at the Front Desk and asked that the room be cleaned that day. On my return to the room on Friday at 5PM, there was still no Wi-Fi nor had the room been cleaned. I went down to the girl at the Front Desk, who called the manager but refused to let me speak with her on the phone. Fifteen minutes later, the manager pounds on the door to my room and tells me I should leave because I complain too much. I was in no mood to pack and find a new hotel on a Friday evening. We remained the following two days without Wi-Fi or cleaning services.
The manager said the hotel is under new ownership. I urge the new owners to institute basic training for their staff. The manager is incompetent, rude, and hysterical. I would also ask the owners to please direct me to where on the Website the cleaning situation is discussed. It is possible that I missed it, and if so I apologize. If it is not there, I would appreciate an apology for being misinformed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank JosephThomasRalf

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

The rooms air is a window unit and doesn't blow out well. The rooms ventilation fan fell on my husbands head. The man poured 10 percent bleach in the pool without putting a sign up pool closed. Room did not have enough towels, no oven mits, no baking pans and hardly any silverware. I have torn hips when booked the room was told we were going to be bottom floor and when we checked in they had us upstairs. No elevator for handicapped people. Parking is ridiculous the deck is not what they made it out to be. The pictures of the property is not what it is when you get there.

• Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank DonnaWintersteen
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Booked the room for a Friday into Saturday to stay with friends that were visiting the area. Although the facility is dated, the room was clean & very well laid out. We stood in room 4 which had a mini kitchen, 2 queen beds. a sitting area, mini fridge & kitchen table. Again, the facility is dated but it is being re-modled by the new owners. Pool is right out side the door with a deck going out into the cove. The staff were polite & very helpful. We are local & will be going there again for our next little get-a-way.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank VitoDB
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We were expecting a lot worse of a motel than what we got. There is no central air, but a wall unit. We made our reservation through hotels.com for 4 guests. When we called to confirm our reservation for 4 people the manager or owner said we would have to pay an extra $10 a day per person for the extra 2 people. This caused a huge conflict between us and hotelsl.com. The website sorted everything out for us and we did not have to pay any extra. When we got to the hotel, the lady in charge was not very friendly to us. One night as we were sitting by the pool talking, she felt the need to come out and accuse us of being very loud and that she was trying to sleep. We are certainly not a roudy bunch of girls. Then she came out two more times when we were not being loud at all. We were having a conversation on our vacation. This ruined the night for us and put us all in a bad mood. It was not our fault that she lived there right by The pool. When we were packing our car for our 10 o'clock checkout, she came up to one of the girls in our room, held her hand out and said " give me the key.". Really nasty attitude from this woman.
You also have to pay $15 a day to clean your room, and this includes having to pay that 15 to get clean towels and toilet paper. This meant we had to ask the cleaning lady and manager to get us these things because we were certainly not going to pay that extra amount.
You can tell the place is old, but it served its' purpose. Short walk to the beach and a nice pool area on the bay.
TERRIBLE MANAGEMENT!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Kimberly J
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at Surf 'n Sand few weeks ago and we absolutely loved it. It was only few steps away from the beach. Our one bedroom apartment looked great and was very clean. Also we really liked the bbq and pool area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anita A
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This is old Florida. Surf n' Sand is like a little community all it's own. The place was full while we were there....mostly European guests but this was no problem. We enjoyed the diversity. The pool was well kept and the area is nice and peaceful. Two blocks from the beach was an easy walk. You'd have to go farther for meals but there is a Hess to get some groceries at about three blocks away.
As for the room, we stayed in unit 6, the layout is nice. If not for the bathroom I would give this place top marks for old feeling Florida. The bathroom REALLY needs to be updated. Lots of water stains on the door/floor, the faucet handles on the sink were coming off, the shower faucets just spun rather than actually turning off, and the toilet is pre-school size/height. Help us out here and update/fix the bathroom.
There is a nice deck to relax on and watch the boats/dolphins go by.
There is no elevator so ask for something on the lower level if you don't want to lug stuff upstairs.
My favorite thing here is the quiet/relaxing time were were able to have away from all off the crowds.
There is no maid service so hang your towels up! There are no hairdryers in the rooms, but there is one at the front desk you can ask for when you need it....we didn't know that until we saw someone returning it.
It costs to park your car here too. FYI

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank OklahomaTravelmom
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

I have mixed feelings about this place so I'm going to just put my pros and cons here:
Pros: Good location, nice pool that is actually heated to a temperature that you can swim in cooler weather, spacious room with a kitchen, it was quiet at night and we were actually able to sleep during spring break week without an all night party going on
Cons: The place needs serious maintenance. The day we arrived there was a huge hole in the fence by the water where it had rotted out and someone fell through. Our room had broken tiles on the floor and in the tub, a chip in the mirror, a broken dishwasher, and an oven that made a strange clicking sound even when it wasn't in use. We reported the problems but were told that they wouldn't be fixed because there was no maintenance available the week we were there. I suspect they don't have maintenance ever but that is just my guess. I also really dislike the pricing of the rooms. I feel like it is misleading. We booked a room that sleeps 6 (and paid just under 2k for it during the week of spring break) but were told that the price advertised is only for 2 adults. If you have more adults, it is an extra charge per person per day. This was explained to us when we called, so I wouldn't say they try to hide it, but I just thought the pricing was a little misleading at first glance when you are internet price shopping. I'd also say another con is that there are lots of "rules" and you kind of feel like your every move is being watched. Last but not least, bring your iron and hair dryer if you need it. Those are not provided.
Overall, I doubt I'd stay here again but it wasn't terrible, just not spectacular.

Stayed: April 2014