“Nightmare”
Review of Castaways Motel

Castaways Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Clearwater
Castaways Motel
Ranked #71 of 96 Hotels in Clearwater
Largo,Florida
“Nightmare”
Reviewed 15 April 2010

The owner is dishonest. False advertisement. The room was dirty. When we got there, we find out that, the room we're going to check in to was the room he lived in. We asked about dock space when we called. When we arrived, we find out that there is no dock space. I'm now finding myself fighting credit
Card charges, for a room we refused to stay in.
WE are disappointed to say the least.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Castaways139, owner at Castaways Motel, responded to this review, 17 April 2010
Local Guest (mom) from Largo reserved an apartment for four adults. After she checked-in and paid for the room, it became operant that the apartment was for her 23 years old son and bunch of his friends, to have a birthday party.
When she and he discovered that he could invite most of his friends. Mom decided to cancel the party or go elsewhere. Because she and her guest(s) occupied the apartment (used the toilet, towels, etc) I had no choice but to charge for one night stay.

Had she been forthcoming with her true intensions, I would have advised her against it and it would not have come to this. We have limited parking and space, (one parking spot per apartment), we are not equipped to have parties.
Certainly Birthday celebrations are allowed and encouraged for registered guests, perhaps one or two visitors.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London
Reviewed 5 April 2010

We were looking for a nice motel within walking distance to Clearwater Beach and were not looking to get caught up with the Spring Break crowd. We found this one and were not disappointed (especially when some kids were asked to leave after making too much noise).

The owner, Robert, was kind and gave us all the information we needed to know about the local area, while he also let us use his personal film library for the duration of our stay.

The room was clean, despite not having a maid service, and if you are clean people then you will be able to live as we did for at least 10 days. Kitchen utensils and cutlery, etc were all provided with clean towels upon request, and if you are looking for a self-sufficient kind of place with a pool to relax around then you won't find much better.

A few things kept this from being an ''Excellent'' motel. Small things like the TV remote not working, the internet disconnecting randomly and the loud noise of the fridge expanding every few hours thought the night, but overall this was exactly the kind of place we were looking for.

If you want somewhere close to the beach with comfortable, affordable living quarters that aren't in the lap of luxury, this is a hidden gem.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2010

Robert is a great host and can guide you to the best (& cheapest) places to eat and enjoy the beach town that is Clearwater Beach Florida

Stayed April 2007, travelled solo
Florida
Reviewed 20 April 2009

I'm a Central Florida Native and have been coming to Clearwater since i was a small child. Now that I'm an adult with a family, I still loving coming here. I kinda ended up at this hotel by accident. My family had camping plans in Gainsville along with 2 other couples. The river flooded this weekend so camping was canceled. I normally frequent another hotel establishment but because of the short notice they were booked. I absolutely HATE big brand name hotels. i have always preferred to stay in little, off the beaten path places.

I was looking on-line and found this quaint motel with only 6 rooms. It had a private fishing dock on the bay, which is a must for my family and I. That was the main reason for me choosing this motel along with the pricing. We arrived @ approx 12:30 and check-in was not until 2:00pm. The owner was there and showed us 3 different rooms and let us go ahead and check-in. That NEVER happens at bigger hotel chains. We stayed in room # 4. It was a 1 bedroom efficiency. It had a large king size bed in the bedroom and a couch with a fold out bed in the living room. It had a full size refrigerator,stove and microwave. The hotel is older but recently renovated and immaculately clean-which is a MUST for me.

The owner is genuinely nice and super friendly. He even came and sat out back with us @ night while we fished. I even caught a flounder!!!!! The beach is only a 5-10 minute walk, or you can drive but good luck with that. Parking @ Clearwater Beach sucks!!! After driving around for 45 minutes, I gave up and drove back to the hotel and decided to walk. Which I guess we should have done in the first place....

In the morning @ check-out we were not rushed. It was truly a wonderful,relaxing weekend. I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. I have found a new home-away-from home in Clearwater. I definitely will be back.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank 1betafish
Chicago
Reviewed 8 March 2009

First of all, we were lied to by the owner. We were told we we would booked into the large end room. That didnt happen. It turns out that the owner told the same thing to a couple that was there the same week.

Our room: Wow, and I don't mean that in a good way. Horribly uncomfortable! The King sized bed was probably 30 to 40 years old. Talk about back ache's from hell!

The cabinets were painted over about 3 to 4 times. You have to wash your own dishes before each use. And the dishes appear as if they came from a 2nd hand store. The appliances are out dated.

You are required to clean your dishes before you leave, or you are charged an nominal cleaning fee.

There is no daily towel, or maid service.

No heated pool as they claim. You have to rent fishing poles if you want to fish off the back dock. I wouldnt recommend that simply because the back dock is rotting out. You may fall into the bay.

We had to drag the TV into the bedroom every single night. No DVD player, but you could rent a VCR.

Very poor service if any at all. We appeared to be rushed into our room when we first got there and of course the money was demanded. Your kinda pushed into paying cash, or money order maid payable not to Castaways Motel, but to the owner himself.

IT'S NOT WORTH THE MONEY! STAY SOMEPLACE ELSE!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Clearwater hotels

Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 March 2008

I stayed at Castaways for four nights in a two-bed apartment with my friend. Castaways is a small, family-owned motel located on the bay a short walk away from Pier 60 and Clearwater Beach. The manager of the hotel was very nice, helpful and very accommodating and we simply couldn't beat the low rates anywhere. The room was very clean and comfortable and there is also a small pool and boat dock. Our room had a kitchenette with stove, microwave, sink, and large refrigerator and television. The only things to note other than my high recommendation of this motel is that since this motel is small and family-owned, you don't get a lot of perks. For instance, room service is once a week. so you have to clean up after yourself, and we had to take the used towels back to the office ourselves to get clean ones, but I didn't find this inconvenient. Also, the walls are a little thin. This is a great place to stay if you are looking for a deal and to get away from the crowds.

• Liked — Value for the price
  • Disliked — No room service
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Susyq00
Norden
Reviewed 2 February 2008

Our stay in Feb 07
We really wanted the Sand Dollar motel, where we already had spent three vacations. Unfortunately, we found out that all known small motels, have been replaced by huge yuppie buildings. Horrible.
Between those buildings there is the "Castaways". Its a lovely little motel with appartments we like.

It was clean and comfortable. Bedroom, Bathroom, kitchen and living room. The owner and his family were very friendly. I was allowed to use his private PC to check my emails (WLAN stood for free). And understanding and despite difficulties, we have maintained good. Maybe we came back again, should the Castaway then still exist. Sorry for my bad english!

J-P