Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clearwater / US 19N
Ranked #61 of 95 Hotels in Clearwater
Kentucky
“Solid choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

Stayed from Thursday thru Monday - primarily this location would be business travelers. Across the street is a Sam's Club - that should give you an idea of the surroundings. Three adults & we used the "suite" which really is simply an adjoining room - except the 2nd room has no door to the main hall.

Starting with checkin on Thursday night - Donald (Front Desk Manager) was friendly. Since we were in the area to do a bit of touristing we ask for info & what he didn't know he volunteered to find out for us. Everyone we encountered was friendly & efficient. The rooms were clean, as evidenced by the cleanliness of the bottom of my barefeet! We had no problems that needed solving so I can't speak to that aspect, but I suspect it would have been handled courteously & effectively.

Breakfast fare is typical of this genre - cinnamon rolls, toast, bagels, scrambled eggs, yogurt, bananas & cereal. The staff handling the breakfast room kept the coffee pots filled, the cinnamon rolls & others replenished. One morning we were arriving at the end & the room still looked as if it had just opened.

Towels in the room were large & heavy. They were also plentiful & clean. I could faintly smell the bleach (which is ok by me!).

One of our two rooms had 2 queen beds, the other room had a single king. Each room had microwave & small fridge.

We really didn't spend much time in the rooms, or using the Fitness Room ( which consists of 2 treadmills, an eliptical & a bike) or even poolside. Our hotel was roughly 6 miles (15 minutes) from Clearwater Beach, it was about 12 miles (20 minutes) from theTampa Airport. We spent a day in Clearwater, 2 over in Tampa & 1 afternoon in St Pete. So for us this was a great location to view all 3 areas.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank morganatravels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

Stayed here the 14th. The service at front desk is wonderful. Best frontdesk service i have seen in my fifty some years traveling. I checked in early around one something and needed recomendations to dinner a cab and directions to a meeting. Within five minuyes shehad settled it all for me which eased my mind and gave me extra time to rest. Very much needed. The room was splendid and so was the location. Best customer service though. Thanks for the help.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Grandmaoften
Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

I have stayed in many Holiday Inns in the past and have only received positive service but not here. After a long travel of over 1,000 miles we were a little early and wanted to check into the hotel. Check in was at 3PM. We went to the front desk and asked if they have an early check in. The front desk staff was more concerned with answering the phone and then proceeded to inform us that she was not allowed to do early check in. We went to the car and called the 800 number and asked that since we were Priority Club if we were still able to check in early. They stated yes as long as there were rooms available, which there were per the front desk staff. Once we did check in the front desk staff was in some need of training, she was rude and very preoccupied with the phone rather than assisting the people that were at the front desk waiting on checking in. At the time of check in we asked about a late check out since check out was 11AM, her response was check out is at 11AM. Meaning they were not interested in working with anyone. We let that drop and then proceeded to our room that was very untidy and very old and unmaintained. The sheets had holes in them and the towels had hair in them from the last guest. The shower curtain would not stay closed since the rod was not level. Stains on the carpet making it look very dirty. I will say that this stay was very troublesome, and not relaxing by any means. I would not recommend this Holiday Inn Express to anyone, the unpleasantness of the staff would make anyone stop in their tracks.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jason F

Travellers are raving about these Clearwater hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2011

Haven't stayed at HIE for awhile, and will probably pass on these accommodations in the future. Location on GTB BLVD is good - except the rd construction and subsequent backup makes this a tough spot.

Bathtub was not clean - some evidence of body grime on bottom of tub. Cooling/ventilation was acceptable; stayed on 3rd of 4 floors.

Publix meeting going on which meant breakfast was crowded at 7, fair amt of tourists stuffing faces. Little in way of selections unless you are carboloading.

I think i'll stay at fairfield inn down the road again. If you are simply crashing here - it's ok.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank Pvbtraveler
Wilmington, Delaware
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express/US 19 in Clearwater, Florida for 5 nights in October 2010. We figured that its location was perfect for the places we were going in the area. The check-in process was difficult, the staff person was distracted by the phone ringing and she was alone. It was 3 in the afternoon. The first floor room was a reasonable size, with 2 queen beds. The A/C was off, and was very noisy when we turned it on. It was very hard to regulate, so we would wake-up too warm in the middle of the night. The "heated pool" was small and cold and the area was not inviting. There was a very cheap "economy inn"" next door, which overlooked two sides of the pool.

The first night, we left a small spot of the duvet cover. The next day, after we returned, the room was only half cleaned-no clean towels, the sink was still dirty, but the beds had been made, with the spot on the duvet cover. It was never changed.

The whole atmosphere of the hotel was negative. The staff seemed afraid of the manager. When she was around, they were very jumpy. One afternoon, my wife was watching TV, so I went to the lobby to read. As I was sitting there, the manager proceeded to chew out the desk person for at least 5 minutes. It was very unprofessional and, if justified, should not have been done in public.

There was free wireless available during our stay. On the day before our departure, we went to the "business center" to print out our boarding passes. There was 1 computer, which wasn't working. Plus, have you ever heard of a business center WITHOUT a printer??

In sum, a good location, but not a place I'd stay again. There are a lot of other options nearby.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank cpfjd2
SunshineClearwater, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clearwater / US 19N, responded to this review, 3 December 2010
We are very sorry about your experience at our hotel. We are committed to very high standards and try to maintain these each and every day. We do have a rather large number of repeat guests which tells us we must be doing something right. Unfortunately your stay was not pleasant. We would certainly like the opportunity to prove ourselves to you. If you would give us another chance, I'm sure you will find a warm and friendly atmosphere along with a total staff dedication to customer service.
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2010

When you travel a lot for business you begin to notice those little things that hotels do and don't do. When I arrived late at night there was no one at front desk. There was not a bell or anything to signal that I was waiting. Not the best welcome. Breakfast was typical, nothing out of the ordinary. They have a business center but you are asked to pay 5 cents per printed page that you print off. Though it is on the honor system, I have never seen a hotel charge for paper.

After checking out I noticed my rate was wrong and called the hotel. Was told I was upgraded and accidentally charged the higher rate. I asked that my bill be adjusted and and that I be sent a new bill via email so I could submit to my company as an expense. I never received an email.

The room was clean, the bed was okay and the air conditioning worked.

Overall an okay stay but could have been better.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank SkysTheLimit_10
northen ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2010

we stayed here for one night it is 10min drive to the beach the hotel is mostly used for business travellers etc we found the staff very helpful and our rooms very large and clean with microwave and fridge the pool is a bit on the small side and most of the time we had it to ourselves which was great, the free breakfast was good too

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple