“Ideal for short stop”

Ranked #63 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
london
“Ideal for short stop”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed two nights. We found this hotel on Hotwire and got a good deal. The hotel is as described, Holiday inn Express, functional without glamour. The room we stayed in was nice and large, clean and presentable. It is a good location for restaurant and bars. It is right next to a busy road, although we could not hear the road. This was idea for a short stay on our travels, would not recommend for longer holiday. Breakfast is included but we did not try it

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
STATEN ISLAND, NEW YORK
Reviewed 29 September 2013

After an extensive and delayed airplane flight- I arrived at this hotel at 2AM, very exhausted- my room had been held for me.. IIt was a pleasure to fall into the comfortable king size bed, I did notice that the AC didn't seem to be as cool as it should have been, however at 2AM- that was not my major concern.
The next morning I reported the problem at the front desk-when I returned to my room later in the day- the air conditioner had been repaired and after spending the day in the Florida sun of 90 degrees- it was a pleasure to enter the room.
There is a refrigerator and microwave provided---the continental breakfast did not appeal to me- not a breakfast eater- however it was nice to take one of the provided trays and be able to take several cups of coffee back to the room.
The room was the perfect space- for when one is away from home
The lobby was clean and spacious with tasteful decor, will select this hotel when in town again

Room Tip: Higher floors help in muting the sounds of the busy traffic on Gulf to Bay
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MSKARLA
Clermont, Florida
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

Clean hotel. Large rooms with queen sized beds for the doubles. Great breakfast included with stay. Right down the road from Clearwater Beach. Perfect for families. Got a great rate for my stay on Hotwire.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank levine331
Palm Harbor, Florida, United States
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This Holiday Inn is a very nice property. It is modern, clean and comfortable. It is in a great location very close to Tampa Airport, Clearwater Beach, and you can walk to Phillies Baseball! There is also plenty of shopping and dining which you can within 5 minutes of walking!

The staff including, Shantia, Donald and Joe are very nice and accommodating.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Levi H
Leesburg, Florida
Reviewed 28 August 2013

After having a horrible experience at another motel in the area, we were delighted to find this hotel. The rooms were clean and the staff was helpful. Wonderful pool and breakfast!! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Clearwater Beach. It is a few minutes drive to the beach but it is definitely worth it!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Beverly T
Plantation
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I booked this reservation on 1/26/2013 for 4/26 and 4/27 but was placed in a double and not the guaranteed king bed paid for. When I called the front desk, the manager was rude and abrupt. She said that Expedia sent the wrong code and, because I didn’t book appropriately through Holiday Inn Express directly and decided to go through a 3rd party, there was nothing she would do. She said she would have helped me if I would have booked directly with the hotel. I explained that I had a confirmation printout of a King and I could show it to her. She said she had no interest in seeing the paper. I stated that if there was an issue between Expedia and Holiday Inn Express she should assist since I am the customer. Her response was unconscionable as she stated curtly that she would not help me one bit because I made the mistake of booking it through Expedia which Holiday Inn Express discourages. She told me to call Expedia directly to deal with the problem.

I called Expedia who stated that the code was correct, proven by my email confirmation stating a king. Expedia called the hotel and told me that the manager is now saying (suddenly) that there are no king rooms available. This was a surprise since that was never mentioned to me. Expedia repeated that the code sent was correct and I should have received the appropriate room. The rude attitude by the Holiday Inn Express manager and lack of assistance ruined my short vacation.

Upon checking out, I was asked if everything was okay and I calmly explained that I didn’t get the king. This clerk told me that the booking with Expedia doesn’t guarantee anything and that I made the mistake of using a 3rd party. Flabbergasted that a second person was making me feel like a second class citizen for using Expedia, the clerk reiterated that I should have booked directly. I tried to explain but the clerk said, “I am done with this conversation.” I replied loudly, “I am done with this hotel and chain!”

HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS HOSPITALITY PROMISE (From card in room) states "Just let our Manager on Duty know if any part of the your stay isn't satisfactory. We promise to make it right or you won't pay for that part of your stay."

The hospitality promise seems to mean nothing to the Manager on Duty.

I complained to the corporate office who, after months, sent the complaint back to the hotel and promised a follow-up within 48 hours. That was 6 weeks ago.

Due to the rudeness, bad mouthing Expedia and unhelpful nature of multiple people at this Holiday Inn Express, I will never stay at Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express or any hotel of Intercontinental Group if I can avoid it. I certainly will never stay at this particular Holiday Inn Express with the attitude of the staff behind the front desk under any circumstances.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank BruceM_Pook
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clearwater / US 19N, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear BruceM_Pook,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We value your comments, as they enable us to further improve our services and surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

I am truly sorry to hear your troubles with you reservation. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you and deeply regret the poor experience and service issues you had during your visit.

Guest comfort is of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a comfortable environment. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Clearwater hotels

Franklin, Ohio
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My sister in law and I decided last minute to take our children on a trip before they went back to school. Our sister lives just south of Clearwater but couldn't get off work so last minute, so we decided to stay near the beach for a night, before heading to her house for the rest of the week. Since we were arriving on Monday and a lot of schools were already back in, we believed we could find something near the beach, last minute, for one night. We arrived that evening and stopped at Pier 60 and didn't realize, we should have found a room first. We were unaware that most of the independently owned hotels near the beach close their front desks by 9pm. The few near the beach that had front desks open and had vacancies were several hundreds of dollars per night. We were directed back over the bridge to the mainland and found a Days in that was 'hotel hell' roaches, rooms that were never touched by housekeeping. So we headed to the first reputable hotel we saw.
Upon checking in, the front desk host was very friendly. He offered a AAA rate ( I really did have AAA) but when I offered to get him my card, he told me not to go back to the car for it, he would just give it to me. I explained we had a two young children and asked for a first for room, as not to bother any guests that may end up below us. He thought all the first floor room were full but explained that he could put us over the conference room so no one would be bothered by the kids. But last minute, he did find a room on the first floor.
The hotel property was spotless. The rooms were very clean and up to date. Considering it was after midnight when we arrived, we were very happy to get settled in. When we got up the next morning, we were greeted bya full hot breakfast and the nicest breakfat attendant ever! I'm upset that I can not remember her name. She greeted every person and promised to remember each of the kids if they ever returned. When breakfast was over, she hand scrubbed every inch of the dining room.
The only down side to our stay was the construction directly in front of the proerty. I am a very light sleeper, unless it is a storm. I really thought the drilling, hammering and banging would keep me awake (since our window was facing the bridge under construction next door) but luckily a storm rolled in and drowned out the noise. All in all we had a great stay and would stay there again. It was only a 7-10 minute drive to the bridge to Clearwater.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from construction
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family