“Looks great, but terrible management”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Clearwater
Frenchy's Oasis Motel
Ranked #3 of 96 Hotels in Clearwater
Toronto, Canada
“Looks great, but terrible management”
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We stayed 3 nights, joining a group of friends to celebrate a wedding nearby. The bride had selected Frenchy's Oasis as the place for us all to stay and had pre-reserved most of the rooms (we made our own reservations by phone). Our group occupied 15 of the 16 rooms for Friday and Saturday, then things went bad on Sunday.
I was concerned that the check-in process was excessively casual and incorrect: "the key's under your mat; I thought you were coming in late last night". I was excited to arrive after an early-morning flight so I just went with it - in retrospect, this was a mistake. We were very happy with the room and motel premises: big room with a balcony overlooking the harbor, cute retro decor touches that fit the location, nice pool.
We enjoyed our first 2 nights, but the problems came the morning after the wedding: the manager walked past several of us by the pool saying "I need you all to tell me who's staying and who's going: I have a lot of people coming in today." Alarmed, my wife and I, and 2 other friends went into the office. Our reservation was recorded wrong, and she insisted that we had to leave our room because new guests were coming. For some reason she would not change the new guests to another room and leave us in the room we were already in. Her manner during all this was defensive and annoyed, and she blamed the computer system and a former employee. She never apologized or acknowledged any inconvenience. We wound up moving in with a friend whose previous room-mate was flying out that Sunday. When my wife went to pay for our room, she was initially told we owed for 3 nights - we had only been there 2 at the time, and were packing to move into someone else's room. Once the adjustment was made, she then charged us the full high-season rate on their website, plus and extra $60 for arriving early (or something - it wasn't clear). We paid cash, and were not offered a receipt. Perhaps it was naive to assume that with a group so large, we would be given a rate less than $149 a night.... Honestly, we were so stunned by the massive screw-up and the attitude of the manager that we just concluded our business and hurried to get ready for the day-trip we'd planned.
By the way, the first floor room we moved into was much noisier than our previous second-floor room, and the terrace was much less private and smelled like fish guts due it's proximity to the harbor. (I did enjoy the visiting egret though.)
It's so sad that this incident marred what was otherwise a wonderful weekend. The bride and groom felt terrible that their guests were treated this way, and they had to leave the motel a day earlier than planned. We personally spent close to $1000 between the motel and several meals at other Frenchy's properties, but did not leave feeling like our business was appreciated due the the motel fiasco. Regrettably, we were so upset by the experience that we neglected to leave tips for the room-cleaning staff - something we never do. I strongly suggest that the management pay the employees working May 5-6 a bonus out of the mystery fee we were charged.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms seem quieter. Try to get some distance from the harbor.
7 Thank 2Beavers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Polish first
canada
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Upon arrival at 7pm the hotel itself looked cute and kitschy , but as I went to the office to check in my opinion changed. The office was closed and no one was answering the number listed outside the office, I was part of a wedding group booking so one of my friends that already had a room kindly offered to hold my luggage and let us use their facilities while I waited around for someone to check us in. Eventually an hour later the "manager" called my cel and said unapologetically that my room keys were under a mat and that she thought I would figure it out on my own. Not impressed, once finally inside our room we saw that we had been switched to a queen room after specifically booking and paying for a king room.
The next day at noon I went to the office to ask to use and iron and board for our clothes as we had a wedding to attend and there was no one there yet again. Some random neighbor said they would call the "manager" and see if she could help. No response, so I had to go digging around in a hallway maid's closet to one an iron myself so I did not have to wear a wrinkly dress to a wedding!
Upon check out the "manager" was in the middle of a melt down about some guests "screwing up" their reservations and "it not being her fault", which I found questionable based my own experience with her. The hotel was cute but the management and service was horrendous and I will never go back.
I cannot imagine why this "manager" even works in the hospitality business , unless she was part of job placement program from the local prison or rehab center, and in that case she should not have been doing any kind of customer service, maybe cleaning or laundry service would have been a more appropriate placement for someone with this "manager's" unpleasant disposition.

10 Thank quelaura
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 May 2013

When we woke on our 4th morning we were told that we had to get out because new people were moving into our rooms...totally a booking problem (confirming our rooms from day one was a nightmare, excuses about computer problems and whatnot). Then I heard from my credit card company that I was charged twice...3 more days on the phone trying to sort that out and yet Frenchy's did nothing to compensate us. They are charging 4 star prices for 2 star service. You're better off at another hotel that actually cares about their guests if you want to ensure a stress-free vacation.

6 Thank KTel416
Reviewed 30 April 2013

The staff is friendly, the place is spotless. Save yourself $200+ a night over the Hilton and walk the block to the beach. The room looked (and smelled) brand new even though it's a few years old now. Linens were surprisingly nicer than expected. There's a Keurig down in the lounge stocked with coffees even though there's a full sized maker in your room... Being the only one in my group who drank coffee that made my mornings. The lounge is also stocked with DVDs which might come in handy on a rainy day. There are restaurants and shops within walking distance. Chairs, towels, sand toys and umbrellas to borrow for the beach at your disposal, too. The only thing I missed was a soda machine on premises. I'll definitely choose Frenchy's the next time I stay in Clearwater.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Czechers1979
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Frenchy's Oasis Motel continues the tradition of great service that personifies the Frenchy's name. Manager Leann was friendly and helpful. The motel itself was spotless and was in a great location. Previously we have always stayed at the Hilton, but no more. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 10 overlooking the water. We saw dolphins from our private balcony!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank J9Keller
Vinton, Virginia
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I can't say enough nice things about Frenchy's Oasis Motel. Most other reviews have highlighted all of its good characteristics and I agree. My family of five (myself, wife, and three daughters) absolutely loved it! The rooms are huge and exremely clean... one of the cleanest hotels that I have ever stayed in. Leann (who runs the hotel) is awesome! This hotel is a unique, fun, and retro experience!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Glenolden, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful stay at this motel. Leann the manager is a really nice person who was very attentive to everything asked of her and represents this establishment extremely well. The rooms are big, roomy, clean, and well priced. A great place to relax and convenient to everything and it's all within walking distance. Would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013