“Nice resort”

Sandpearl Resort
Ranked #7 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Very nice resort. Right on the beach. The rooms were clean and very well kept. The food at the grill and restaurant was very good. The only negative point was that our balcony was over the roof of their conference center and the noise of the fan was very loud so it was difficult to stay out there. But who goes to the beach to sit on their balcony?? Great drinks at the grill while the sun set in the gulf. Will be back for sure.

• Stayed: April 2011
courtneylb, Front Office Supervisor at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2011

Dear Stekou,

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts of our resort. I am please to hear that you enjoyed dining in our restaurants. Our coastal/city rooms are north facing on the resort and do overlook a portion of the resort rooftop. However we do offer several room types with varying views that are described on our website. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 3 April 2011

After reviewing a number of Trip Advisor reviews for a hotel/resort on the gulfside of FL, decided to go with the Sandpearl and very glad that we did. We were looking for something that was nice/upscale (but not stuffy or too elegant), kid friendly, on the beach, with pool at beach level and the Sandpearl met all of these expectations.

What I really liked about the resort was that it didn't have a business/conference type feeling at all. I travel a lot for work and don't like going to resorts that make me feel like I'm on business. While it was also very nice, it was not stuffy or un-kid friendly.

Rather than repeat everything else that has been said in the positive reviews, I'll address some of the things noted that had me a little concerned when choosing this resort for our vacation.

Some reviews noting that the bathrooms are tiny and the walls are paper thin. The bathroom did have a shower/tub combo, but the tub was deep and the bathroom was quite sufficient in size. To the contrary, I found the construction of the units to be very quiet. The hotel was packed and we did not hear the neighbors on either side of us (up/down/left/right) the entire time. I did not have the same issues as other critical reviewers.

Room Location/View. We booked relatively last minute through trip advisor booking link via "preferred properties" which appeared to be the best rate for a basic room with 2 queen beds. The room was decent enough size, decorated nicely, small refridgerator, deep tub/shower combo with comfortable beds. It did overlook the front of the hotel (valet area, restaurants/businesses etc) which was fine for the amount of time we spent in the room. I actually prefer not having a balcony with kids as its one less thing to have to keep an eye on. For the rate we paid, I feel we got more than our fair share of value. However, I'm the type of person that if I expect a sunset/beach view, I'll pay for it and not "expect" an upgrade over spring break weekend when a resort is at capacity. By the tenor of some of the reviews and actually witnessing at least 4 people asking for upgrades during the week, I think some folks just expect a suite with beach view if they are paying $300-$400 a night, even in prime season.

Hotel Service: Overall I found the service at the hotel to be great. Attentive, yet not overbearing. The bellman, valets, poolside/beachside servers and service at Caledesi (higher end dining) was fantastic. At Tates Grill (casual dining), there were some good servers and one or two not so good. The first night we had really slow, crummy service and I was worried that it was going to be systemic, but thankfully it was not.

Parking/Resort Fee: There is a $20 daily resort fee and $20 for valet parking. The resort fee included internet, towels at pool/beach, 2 bottles of water daily & workout center. The valets were attentive/great service and the hotel is literally on the beach. I'd much rather pay $20 for valet, than mess around in an underground garage searching for parking and worrying about someone back into my car. I personally don't like when Valet is required at a resort in the middle of nowhere with miles of parking space, but it's really warranted/needed here and they do a great job. The workout facility is sufficient for getting in a quick workout on vacation, but if your training for Olympia or expecting a LifeFitness on the beach, that it's not. I personally didn't expect such and was pleased with the options. There is also a nightly turndown included and they also replace your towels if needed at this time.. On one of the days it rained and the manager on staff had cookies/milk/juice brought out for all the kids cooped up in the lobby--another nice touch.

One review noted that the pool was small and we found it to be very nice. There's a zero depth entry area, which is great for younger ones as well as a two foot deep sitting area around the perimeter of the pool. Immediately on the other side of the pool is the beach, which was also very nice. Some of the other resorts, like the Hyatt, the pool is NOT at beach level, which is a major minus in my opinion. If you have kids, you know they can change their mind from the pool to the beach in a matter of minutes and it's no issue at all at this resort.

In addition to the typicial amenities, they have a kids club and floor size checkers/chess and ping pong table outdoors by the kids club. If I didn't have kids, I probably wouldn't have paid attention to these things, but my kids loved it. I noticed that one couples kids had an itch to "play" indoors one evening so they just opened the kids club to them and anyone else that just wanted to hang out and play in the area. On the website, the lawn area that's set for a wedding can be used to play wiffle ball, frisbee, football, etc. and the kids also used that all week while not being used for reception.

Overall we were very happy with the Sandpearl and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank BigRedChicken

Dear BigRedChicken,

Thank you for your extensive review of our resort. We are pleased to hear that you and your family were able to enjoy all of the amenities offered her at the Sandpearl resort. It sounds like the Sandpearl was a perfect fit for what you were looking for in a resort to travel with your family. We certainly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and hope you are able to visit with us again soon.

Reviewed 3 April 2011

I thought I would like to correct a couple of reviews that once I had read them made me slightly nervous about getting the right hotel and room after the coments on trip Ad that the rooms were to small and so on.
I have no connection with this hotel and the only connection I have to this industry is I was an owner of 6 high quality restaurants in London.

From the time we arrived the service has been fantastic with happy and smiling staff with nothing being too difficult for them. We have three rooms in our party and my wife and I are in a beautiful room looking over the gulf which is standard sized room and plenty big enough with a nice small balcony which you could easily sit and have a coffee or a snack at.
The other rooms in our party are on the same 5th floor and are connecting rooms. One of them is slightly larger as the hotel have set themselves up for disabled clients. I would think any disabled client would be very happy with this room.

Now my favourite bit as I like to eat out and love my food and wine. Their main restaurant is fantastic, as mentioned that I was an owner of restaurants And thought we had the best waiters that you could train up, I have now been corrected. Our waiter's passion and knowalge for the menu and his knowalge of the ingredients was superp, he made the time to go through in the detail that we wanted. He also as my knowalge on fine wines from the USA is non existent he help select a wine to match the White Burgandy's we like. The meal was 10 out of 10.

The beach bar Tate Island again I love we as a party on 7 sat there for lunch yesterday on one of their busiest days and had great service, the food took a litle longer than I would have liked but so what, we
had drinks and were joking around enjoying the view.

The hotel had a wedding taking place which meant half the pool deck had to be closed for their reception, the hotel managed this very well, firstly we were advised about this the night before and they moved the guests sun beds to a grass area close to the other guest area. During the early evening it made a nice change to see the set up and then the recaption of what looked to be a great wedding, we the other guests in our casual attire and the the wedding guests all beautfully dreesed up made a funny contrast.
We had heard there were fireworks to come and decided to go back to Tusker for early dinner and got a table beside the beach. The kids had such a great time playing in the sand whilst we relaxed and watched the sun go down with background music from the wedding and then watched the fireworks. Thank you to the wedding!

One downside and this will tell me if the hotlel read these, is as i lay in bed writing this I can see our fire alarm sensor has been taken down and the cables are hanging down?

We have got three more days to go and I will update this if anything changes.

Only come here if you want to relax and have a good holiday!

Goose

• Stayed: April 2011

Dear Thegoose1234,

Thank you for taking time out of your stay to write such positive comments of our resort. We are so please that you were impressed with our signature restaurant Caretta on the Gulf and the service you received while here. Thank you for bringing to our attention the cables from the fire alarm, our engineering department was notified immediately and was able to correct the situation. We hope to welcome you and you family back to the Sandpearl Resort soon.

Reviewed 31 March 2011

I expected much more for the money. I agree with some of the other reviews, room is very average. Bathroom doesn't even have separate shower and bath, which you'd expect at this type of resort. Coastal view for us was a view of the a/c units and a dingy motel and their dumpsters. My room rate ended up literally being $80 more per night because of resort fee, parking, etc. The beach is very nice, but be careful with beverage/food service. Read your bill carefully, they may charge you other peoples drinks if you don't. Also, 18% gratuity is already added to beach/pool service bill but a tip line is still added for you to fill in.

One more very important thing, the rooms walls are paper thin. Can hear everything on both sides of us. Very uncomfortable.

It was like pulling teeth to get a late check out, and I'm a PREFERRED MEMBER! The
finally agreed to checking out at noon rather than 11. Honestly, I've stayed at much nicer places with larger, more luxurious rooms at half the price. Don't let all the other positive reviews fool you. The only great part of our stay was the housekeeping service and breakfast buffet.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank MeticulousTraveler25
Sandpearl_GM, General Manager at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Sandpearl Resort. We truly appreciate all feedback, both good and bad, as it helps our team achieve its goal of 100% Customer Satisfaction.

In your review you commented on the room type you received. While all rooms have terrific water views, there are room that face the coastline and bay of Clearwater rather than the Gulf of Mexico. These rooms are priced accordingly due to the view that is received. You also commented that during your time with us you visited our beachside restaurant, Tate's Island Grille. I assumed that your bill was incorrect when it was presented to you. For that I am very sorry. I am also very sorry that we were not able to grant you a check-out later than noon. March is our busiest time of the year and in order to guarantee that we have the rooms cleaned in time and to our guests expectations, late check-outs sometimes are not possible. We normally do our absolute best to grant late check-outs if at all possible.

On a positive note, I was please to see that your Housekeeping Service and the service you received at Caretta's on the Gulf was great.

Again, I am very sorry for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I will personally address these issues with the team. If you find it appropriate, please feel free to contact me directly to review your concerns personally.

Eric Waltz

Reviewed 25 March 2011

I stayed at the Sand Pearl last weekend booking rooms with only a week to spare. I was familiar with Clearwater Beach being one of the best but had never been to the Sand Pearl. The room costs are right up there with the Ritz, Four Seasons etc so I had to swallow heard when I heard the number. We were dedicated to go and thankfully were not dissapointed. I must be honest I was looking for a reason to be grumpy about the the high cost but could find little reason to complain. As has been posted, the staff is always available and responsive in the most courteous of ways. The facilities are beautiful with a lively cafe located on a very nice beachside pool area. The workout facility was one of the better hotel facilities I have seen. The hotel was sold out so everything was busy but not overwhelmed. I think management misjudged how busy the on property restaurant would be on Sat night, so they were short staffed. In spite of that our server worked hard to let us know he was there. If you are looking for a more moderately priced meal off property check out the Clear Sky Cafe right next door which seemed to be busy for all three meals. There is also a sports bar across the street (Boxer Brown's?) that was loud but had decent food. We chose not to venture off property much. Spring Break makes this area extremely crowded.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Breeze19
courtneylb, Front Office Supervisor at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2011

Dear Breeze19,
Thank you for your response. It sounds like you and your family really enjoyed your time here at the Sandpearl Resort. We hope you are able to visit with us again soon.

Reviewed 25 March 2011

This is a very good hotel in a great beachside location. From the pool to the white sand in a matter of yards. The rooms are clean with comfortable beds and everything one could want. The resort fees include the use of bicycles as well as entrance to Clearwater Aquarium. I was there for a conference and the facilities and food were excellent. I would not mind holidaying there although it would be a little expensive I fear.
An ocean view room would be superb, mine was partial ocean and partial hotel grabage bins, so that was disappointing, but all in all this was a great hotel in a grand style.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business

Dear Abercwmbol,

I am glad you were able to enjoy your stay with us while attending a conference here at the Sandpearl. I apologize you were disappointed with the partial view from your room. We hope you are able to stay with us again.

Reviewed 24 March 2011

We stayed at the Sandpearl for a long weekend getaway in Clearwater. You stay at the Sandpearl because you want the best that Clearwater has to offer. The resort common spaces are beautifully done-- the lobby space is striking at different times of the day. When we arrived in the evening it had a warm, cozy feel to it-- a contrast to the lively and vivid feel during the morning. This is a good thing.

The Room - We stayed in a Gulf View room on the sixth floor of the building. The room size is average, but nothing to complain about. I appreciated the empty refrigerator provided. The bathroom is large and the bath products were of a good quality. I was fond of the decor-- the walls are done in a butter yellow shade that contrasts the gulf nicely. I do have a complaint--- these rooms should be offered at a serious cost discount compared to the other rooms in the resort. I found our view to be acceptable-- we had the gulf stretching out on the left, and then the town to the right, but being right above the exhaust from the surrounding restaurants makes using your balcony pretty unappealing. We're fresh air people and were not pleased to return to our room to have it smell like the restaurant down the street. Really gross. The Sandpearl needs to consider repricing these rooms, or being a bit more up front. I would have paid for a better situated room had I known.
I had another big problem with the room-- I was awoken by slamming doors several times during the night, and they didn't sound like they were doors right next to ours. The sound traveled and it was very distracting. Maybe an alteration can be made to the noisy doors to help them close a little bit more gently.

Room Service -- we had a wonderful room service breakfast one morning. I had pancakes, the staff was happy to accommodate my substitution of fruit for the side of meat (I'm a strict vegetarian). The portion was large and priced fairly. The coffee was terrible. Ugh! Yuck! We found the packaged in-room coffee to be better. :(

The Pool/Beach - Perfect! The pools and hot tubs are clean, well kept and situated in lovely landscaping. I know that this is a problem at all resorts, but something could be done to manage the issues that arise from people rearranging chairs. Its really inconsiderate and can deter from everyone's experience.

The Service - The valets and the pool attendants were awesome. Friendly, professional and always helpful. Our car was always available when we called for it. We enjoyed drinks and food from the Tate Island Grill at various points during our stay. Wish Tate would add some craft beer to their offerings. Maybe next year :)

Gym Facilities - So tiny. Really unfortunate. When i was there one of the cross trainer/ellipticals was down. There is a set of free weights but very little space for using them. This needs to be improved upon, there were three of us there one morning and it felt super crowded.

All in all, a great stay at a very relaxing and beautiful resort hotel that we're already looking forward to visiting again soon.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Fiche,

Thank you for taking the time to express your comments on our resort. We appreciate your feedback and certainly take into consideration our guest comments when looking to improve our product and guest experiences. I am glad you found our staff to be friendly and professional. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.