“No response from General Manager?” 3 of 5 bubbles

Sandpearl Resort
Ranked #6 of 95 Hotels in Clearwater
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Lima, Ohio
“No response from General Manager?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

I wrote a review about our stay at this resort in December 2012. I visited the Sand Pearl review page on Trip Advisor this morning in response to an email from Trip Advisor. I never noticed before, but it appears that the General Manager responded to most every review,with the exception of mine. Maybe the Mr. Grumpy. Referred to in my review was, indeed, the general manager himself? Who knows? But it did remind me of the bad customer service that we were greeted with at our last stay. As well as the mishap with our name being dropped (mysteriously) from the Christmas Brunch waiting list.
As much as we enjoyed the ambiance and amenities at this resort, I am very hesitant to stay here in the future due to the service.
My first stay was great. I don't understand why the cold shoulder on our second stay, other than the fact that I was renting a privately owned suite at the resort and not a regular room. Supposedly all amenities are included with the privately owned properties, except for a pleasant attitude from the staff.

Room Tip: Stay away from the north side, unless you like views of the trash dumpster area and employees on smo...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Sandpearl_GM, General Manager at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your second review of your visit with us that occurred in 2012. We value and appreciate all input regarding your stay.

As you mentioned in your review you rented from one of the rooms that are not in our rental pool and there are several differences that occur. As you know when you rented the room you deal directly with a private owner and many of the normal services do not occur. Issues regarding your stay should have been directed to the condo owner so they could address. With that said, the check in process should have been handled friendlier but there are noticeable differences that occur between the normal check in and a check in of one of the non-rental units due to the variances in available amenities. That could have contributed to the difference in which you are referring.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write the review.

Eric Waltz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
  • Hebrew first
Clearwater, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Spent a week here in 2010 and cried on my way back to the airport/Manhattan. After 25 years in The City, it was time for a change and this vacation at this hotel provided the direction.
Living in Clearwater for 3 yrs now and LOVE IT!!!! My spot on the beach is in front of Sandpearl and my favorite lunch is the Nana Bowl at Carrata's. Thank you, Sandpearl, for helping me find my next home :)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
2 Thank Ktalawah
Molly M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on your most recent stay with us. I am so delighted to hear you found your way to the Sandpearl back in 2010 and can now call Clearwater Beach home! It is wonderful to live in paradise and be able to experience the beautiful Clearwater sunsets. We appreciate the kind words and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Bloemendaal, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

We spent 5 days with our family of 6 in the Sandpearl Resort in Clearwater in May 2014. Unfortunately we were not lucky with the weather because it rained almost continuously. We had been in Miami South Beach previously which we liked very much and we expected to find something similar in Clearwater. This was not the case. We booked 8 months ahead. Our rooms were ok but very noisy. We asked for rooms with a connecting door, but we got 3 rooms scattered over the same floor. None of them were connected, although they all had a connecting door. The noise that came from the other side of the doors was very annoying. I do not want to hear what people do in heir bed! Besides there was a wedding in the garden almost every night, with lots of noise and drunk people all over the hotel. The pool was nice but the smell of greasy food from the poolbar and restaurant disgusting. Especially at 11 am in the morning. The Gulf of Mexico was very beautiful and the sea nice and warm but we were very disappointed in the Resort.

Room Tip: Check if there are wedding or graduation parties during the period of your stay!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank 32Overwater2061
Sandpearl_GM, General Manager at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write you review of the Sandpearl. I wish the weather would have been better for your trip to Clearwater. I am very sorry to hear about the room type issues you experienced. We normally do our absolute best to make sure that everyone gets their preferred room type. I am not sure what happened in this instance.

In your review you mentioned a wedding taking place in our "garden". I am not sure what that means as we have no garden. I am just curious as to whether you reviewed the correct hotel. While we do a fair share of weddings here we keep an eye on everyone's behavior and the timing of outdoor events to make sure we do not interrupt the other guests of the hotel. If these events did occur here I am very sorry for the issues you experienced.

If you would like to speak regarding your experience please feel free to contact me directly at the resort.

Eric Waltz
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

We are spending August 18-25 in Orlando with a few days at Universal. Turns out we are not a theme park family and we looked to head to Clearwater to check out the Clearwater Marine Aquarium. We decided to splurge and stay at one of the nicest hotels in Clearwater Beach--the SandPearl. The first night was spent in room 613, looking towards the north and overlooking the Gulf. It was above their banquet halls and as a result, our balcony was very noisy due to the rooftop air conditioners. However, the view was breathtaking.

The room was large and timelessly decorated with very nice furnishings. The bathroom was large. It came with a Keurig coffee maker and 2 bottles of water. The mini bar was nicely stocked with a variety of items, which we did not use.

Loved our first night so much, we decided to book another night, this time in 408, basically the opposite side of the hall. Overlooking the pool and the Gulf, the room was the same, except had a King bed. A rollaway bed was quickly brought up when requested.

The staff are amazing here and make you feel like a VIP. Right from the valet, to the front desk staff, the grill and restaurant staff and bellboys. After my daughter dropped my iphone into the Gulf, a large container of rice was brought up for me to see if I could resuscitate my phone. (We still don't know if it will make it--it's still in the rice!)

The facilities are gorgeous. The pool is lovely and our kids LOVED the movie in the pool. The beach and sunsets are breathtaking and the activities team offered smores at the campfire on the beach.

I can only hope to come back to visit again one day! Thanks so much for the pampering. The only regret I have is that we weren't able to stay longer.

Green Features: The hotel takes a lot of pride in being green and it was displayed in the lobby and in the rooms.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
2 Thank OntarioTania
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on your most recent stay with us. I am glad you chose the Sandpearl Resort to enjoy some relaxation after your time in Orlando, not only for one night but for two! It is our goal to make every guest feel like a VIP and I am so happy to hear that is exactly how you felt during your stay with us from the front desk to our restaurant staff. We truly appreciate the kind words and hope to welcome you back in the future!

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Absolutely beautiful hotel and beach. A few bumps, which we did address each item while at the hotel. First the good:

Great location, beautiful facility and very well maintained. Loved the beach and all the activities. We made the decision to try out this hotel for a 'girls' night out on the beach. Unfortunately arrived in the rain, so no beach that afternoon, but no big deal, plenty to look around and do at the hotel. As mentioned in other posts, required to valet - which by the way we prefer. The perk to using the valet is that they take your luggage and deliver to your room. Well worth the nightly charge in my opinion since they handle all the beach 'stuff'!! Great service and super friendly. Great first impression. Additionally at check-in mimosas or champagne - lovely touch. The lobby is beautiful and the two restaurants are really great. The property is really spectacular. We took full advantage of Tate Island Grill for a light dinner/drinks and lunch the following day. Service is great, food was very good (yes, they have gluten free options, which my friend really appreciated), and love the location on the beach. Great place for the sunset. Speaking of the sunset - wow, really beautiful and plenty of seats on the beach for a front row view to one of the best sunsets (and we live in FL!). The activities staff lights the fire pit and you can get a 'kit' to make smore's - yummy! The beach both in the evening and during the day (even though a sold out hotel) was not busy.

Staff at the beach was really great, rental of two chairs w/umbrella is $25 and bar service comes around as well. You do have the choice of plenty of chairs w/out umbrellas for free - but we took advantage of the front row w/umbrellas. Totally worth it and the staff really looks after you so it is worth the money I think. Pool area was really well maintained with lots of seats with various types of umbrellas/lounges, but why use that when you have this beautiful beach!

We had breakfast at Caretta on the Gulf - really great! We were there early so had a spectacular seat out on the patio. We heard it got really busy around 9:30, so if you want a choice seat, go earlier. We selected the buffet which had a huge selection and made to order omelets and yes, even gluten free waffles could be made! We wish we had gone here the night before to the bar for a fun night. Instead we tried bars around the hotel, all were just so-so, didn't find anything great. We really enjoyed the sunset and facilities at the hotel, so could have just stayed on property.

Now for the bumps in the road:
We live in FL, so made a last minute booking based on recommendations from Trip Advisor thought it would be perfect. 3 days prior to arrival we decided so I looked up online directly with the Sandpearl what was available, due to the way the rooms were listed, I had questions about room types. We specifically wanted coastal/beach view with a balcony w/2 queens. Online they had the accessible one available or a king regular room with coastal view and balcony. So I called the reservation line to get some additional information and specifically gave the detail we wanted a balcony since all they had in 2 queens was a bayview or coastal accessible. The agent on the phone stated that we could not book the accessible (totally understandable, so that is not the issue). Bay view we were told had no balcony, so we decided for one night we'd make due with the king coastal room w/balcony and booked online directly with the hotel. Upon arrival (3 days later) we were informed at check-in that due to exterior painting the balconies could not be used. Major disappointment, especially when we called 3 days prior and the agent nor the website makes any mention of this! That was a miss that should have been really easy to resolve by notifying us when we called. Additionally at check-in the agent seemed really put off when we complained. We were offered a price reduction and free breakfast, so totally happy with how they then tried to recover the issue but super sad when you see just how beautiful the view from the balcony could be! Felt like what the agent offered us for the issue though should have been in her power to take care of, but instead took 10 minutes to go talk to her manager about it.

The only other negative was then at breakfast we gave the server the vouchers and decided on the buffet, which is fabulous. But then at the end, the bill came and he had charged our room. We immediately told him and he assured us he would fix it. We didn't see him in the 10 mins it took for us to finish our coffee so on our way out we talked to the host about the issue and were once again assured it would be taken care of. Well, since that was after our bill had been delivered to our room, we decided to double check prior to leaving the resort at 3:30 pm that day. It was still on the bill and the front desk had to take care of it. We luckily had checked so that we could resolve it prior to leaving - so check your bill if you stay past check out! It was just another hassle that at this level of resort should not have happened.

Because of those issues, I give the hotel a 4 star - totally worth 5 stars if it had not been for the issue with the balcony. It really is surprising that 3 days prior that the phone reservation agent would not have been aware to inform guests. That alone would have resolved the issue and not made the actual stay disappointing. Overall, really lovely and well cared for resort, but think we will try the Hyatt on the next visit.

Room Tip: Inquire in advance specifically what rooms are available and if any refurbishments are going on - re...
Green Features: Really liked the recycling program throughout the hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Location
1 Thank reneesct1
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on your most recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear you chose the Sandpearl Resort for your girl’s night out on the beach! It is our pleasure to provide great service and it is wonderful to hear you encountered our super friendly staff too. Our beach fire and s’more’s is truly the best way to enjoy a beautiful Clearwater Beach sunset. I do apologize you were unable to utilize your balcony during your stay with us; however, I am glad you were able to enjoy a delicious breakfast in Caretta on the Gulf. We appreciate the kind words and hope you will give us a chance to win you back in the future.

Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed at the Sandpearl for a week after spending the first half of our holiday in Orlando visiting the theme parks so we were in need of relaxation and that is exactly what he got. We arrived at the hotel at lunchtime and were immediately greeted by the extremely friendly valet parking guys. We checked in but were told that our rooms weren't quite ready but this was not a problem particularly as I was given a glass of champagne by a very nice young lady.
We had a leisurely lunch in the pool bar and had our first cocktails of the week served by the charming Marcel. We ate at the pool bar everyday during our stay and enjoyed every meal and service was always excellent.
Once we had eaten our room was ready, we had a 2 bedroom gulf view suite which was absolutely beautiful, with three balconies each with the most amazing view. There was full kitchen with a large fridge and coffee machine and in our children's room (18 and 20 years old actually) there was another coffee machine and mini fridge. In our bathroom we had an enamours bath and shower and there was also a washer and drier in there which was very handy. I cannot fault the room at all, the beds were so comfortable and the maid service exceptional, the turndown service with chocolates and pillow must was a also nice touch.
We spend mist days by the pool or on the beach and we never had a problem finding sunbeds by the pool and the bar service was brilliant, you just had to put your flag up and with a few minutes one of the lovely waiters would be there to take your order, the Blue Hawaiian was my particular favourite. The beach was just steps away and the one of the nicest beaches we have ever seen with its soft white sand and beautiful clear blue sea.
We ate at Caretta on the Gulf five times during our stay and loved it, the service in the bar, particularly by Lindsey a really lovely waitress who always remembered our names, was great. All the meals we had were outstanding as was the service, another waitress I have to mention is Michelle who was so friendly and the view from the restaurant incredible. I would also recommend the Sunday Brunch which was the most amazing buffet with so much choice and as much Prosecco as I could drink,
We had a fabulous time at the Sandpearl resort, it was worth every penny we spent and we can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Choose a gulf futon suite it's worth it for tge amazing view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Molly M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Sandpearl Resort, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on your most recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear you were greeted by our friendly valet team upon your arrival and was able to enjoy a delicious meal and excellent service by Marcel at Tate Island Grill while waiting for your room. It sounds like you did spend most of your time at our beautiful pool area enjoying the sunny Florida weather. I am happy you experienced Caretta on the Gulf for a delicious dinner and our Sunday brunch, and had wonderful service from Lindsey and Michelle. We appreciate the kind words and cannot wait to welcome you back in the future!

East Sussex, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

A beautiful Hotel, in a prime location.
We stayed for 8 nights at the beginning of August and had a lovely time.
The Hotel is located on North Clearwater beach with plenty of restaurants and bars surrounding it. There were at least 5 great restaurants within a few minutes walk either side of the Hotel, a couple with amazing views of the Gulf of Mexico and the stunning sunset. Our favourite- Palm pavillion.

We were greeted warmly at check in, but not offered any champagne? The Lobby area of the Hotel is beautiful and it was easy to find our room, located on the sixth floor.
We had booked a Gulf view room after reading previous reviews and we were not disappointed! Incredible view!! Could have sat on the balcony forever!! We were facing the pool area, but experienced no issues with noise, even though the pool is open until 10pm.
The room itself was clean and as expected. Whilst a little smaller than I imagined it was more than comfortable for our stay. Housekeeping was good. We missed the nightly turndown service 6 nights during our stay, as it was always very early.
We should have slept really well as there was no noise from adjoining rooms or the corridor, but I have to say the air conditioning was particularly noisy, a shame, but we just didn't adjust well to the constant noise.
Outside we went to the pool and beach every day. We had no problem getting sun beds even at weekends when it is clearly much busier. The hotel asks guests to wear wristbands on their busy days, this helps them identify guests easier. I did actually witness the security guard politely tell some kids that had popped in to use the pool to leave immediately!- it shows that the bands work.
The pool area was well maintained. Water is available all day from a dispensers at both Tates and at the towel collection point. Towels were available easily, and they were very generous in distributing them, and yes you can take them down to the beach too!
The sun beds at the beach are FREE and it seemed a lot of guests were unsure of this when we were there. It is the umbrellas and cabanas you pay extra for.
Whilst it would be impossible to stay all day at the beach without some shade, we found that by using the sun beds near the Hotel you could still pop back easy enough to pop in the pool or grab a drink of water.

At the pool there are a lot of activities available. A film every night for kids down by the pool, at sunset. Both a daily leaflet and a board by the towel collection point let you know what activities are on. My son loved playing soccer, chess etc. The staff at the pool could not have been more helpful or friendly, in particular I would like to thank JARED and CHASE and all the other guys who were great at ensuring our son had a great time. They would balance looking after guests and playing soccer with the kids when they could.
There is so much I could say about this resort and Hotel.
I know a lot of reviews comment on both parking and resort fees, so here's my opinion-
1) Parking- although we never used our car whilst staying here, the parking fee seems unavoidable at any US hotel and the fee here was the same as other hotels I've stayed at in the US.
2) Resort fee- good Wifi, remember the beach sun beds are 'free' to use within this, water at the pool and 2 bottles in your room etc. Expensive?, yes , but again a familiar part of the deal at US hotels.

Both fees are made clearly obvious to you before you book, so sadly something that comes as part of the cost if you choose to stay at this Hotel.

Finally, remember this is a 4 diamond Hotel, prices are high, but the location speaks for itself!
Hotels and what they offer will always be a very personal experience for each guest, but if you research well before you book and understand what this Hotel has to offer, look at what Clearwater beach is about you shouldn't be disappointed!
For us, whilst this may not offer the 'polished' sometimes very over the top service of many 5 star hotels we've stayed in, it does offer an amazing location, lot's of fun, and in a heart beat we'd go back tomorrow!

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank SeasideLiving33
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on your most recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear you had such a fantastic time during your eight night stay with us. From the room to the activities at the pool, it seems you and your family enjoyed every amenity we have to offer at the Sandpearl. We want all of our guests to be comfortable in their rooms and it seems you were unable to sleep well due to noise of the air conditioning unit, and for that I apologize. I am happy to hear Jared and Chase from Activities were so friendly to your son and made sure he had a vacation to remember! We truly appreciate all of the positive feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!