“average joe...”

Ranked #47 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Little Falls, Minnesota
“average joe...”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

we booked this trip back in november. i had researched, it seems, every hotel in this area. this vacation was a two part vacation for us, first at clearwater beach and then onto disney world. i wanted a nice hotel, not terribly expensive. we agreed on the beachview inn in clearwater beach. we pulled in, i was amazed at how small it was, but that hardly mattered. we checked in, staff was friendly and went up to our room. the view out to the ocean was nice. but yikes, talk about out dated. the bedding/beds were extremely out dated, hard mattress, but i guess at least we had a bed. um, the size of the room was nice, separate sitting and sleeping areas. the bathroom was very small, you had to step out of the way to shut the door. bad ventilation had to keep the door open for a long time after you showered. one nice part was the the room had the little kitchenette. fridge is nice to have when you're at the beach. and another sink. anyhow, the pool was very nice! the breakfast was simply, but nice. i guess i expected more, but it worked. the location is superb, the beach is so absolutely perfect. white powder sand, a million sea shells and you can walk for miles. great restaurants in the area too!

2 Thank inluvwiththebeach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Edmundston, Canada
Reviewed 24 April 2012

The rooms are spacious..clean and good staff...
We were there in 2010 with our kids...wow everything is near...even the Mc Donald..the hot coffee ...subway...this is the place to be!!!

The big windows in the rooms so you can enjoy the sunset...the beach is #1 and the sand is like powder...NOTHING TO COMPLAIN !! I will be back 4 sure!!!!

only the carpet even if it was clean was hard for my kids ...asthma !!! but maybe there are rooms with no carpet ???

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Dublin, Ohio
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We also stayed over Easter weekend, and had very much the same experience as Wisconsin Hartland. The Beachview Inn is all about location and value. The property itself is older and gets hard use. Efforts to maintain and renovate are noticeable, appreciated and partially successful.

Our group of friends gets together annually at various locations. Beachview worked well for us as the trip was about Clearwater Beach rather than the hotel room. Each of us was able to come and go as we pleased due to the right-on-the-beach location. Obviously it could work the same way for families with older kids. I would NOT recommend this hotel to couples looking for a romantic getaway. For those travelers, the "rough around the edges" aspects would be seriously grating.

With regard to service, our experience was very mixed. One morning, everything was fully satisfactory with the maid service. Another morning, we were skipped altogether. When we checked in, the counter person was welcoming, personable and helpful. But part way through the stay, we encountered a different person who was angry and defensive. Ultimately the staff, collectively, got things right in the end. Given the character of our group, we were able to mostly shrug off the relatively small problems. But if this kind of thing tends to spoil your trip, you definitely need to look elsewhere.

If you go, obey the parking regulations to the strict letter of the rules. Beachview Inn tows aggressively. Towing was going on as we checked in. Do NOT have your visitors park their cars in the hotel parking lot, even for a short while. Properly display your permit at all times. On the bright side, the rigorous enforcement kept space available, even when we returned to the hotel later in the evening. So, I support the policy. But it does add some tension to what should be a laid back atmosphere.

Quick comments on nearby attractions: The Surf Style shop has a huge selection and reasonable prices by resort standards. The Sea Screamer speedboat tour is suitable for all ages and an enjoyable way to see both the shore and the dolphins. Others in my group took the Jet Ski tour and recommend it highly. Pay the extra so that everyone can drive their own jet ski; riders weren't nearly as happy. Participants on the Segway tour all looked like they were having a great time. The Pirate Ship looked like it was primarily for families with young kids, but we saw nothing but smiles from those on board. All of these attractions are within very easy walking distance of the Beachview.

Room Tip: By all means, reserve a suite. Still inexpensive by Clearwater standards, they offer a bit more spa...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Hartland
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We just returned from staying 3 nights here over Easter week. Based on recent reviews I might have hestitated coming here, but I booked this back in December and reviews were favorable. I can understand some of the negative reviews, however I think it comes down to expectations. This hotel/motel is dated. However to say it was filthy? I don't understand that review. I never saw one bug in my room or on the elevator or stairs? Yes the bathroom was extremely tiny, but there was no mold in our room. Yes the carpet was old - but nothing gross stood out to me (and to be honest, when we all came back from the beach, many times sand fell off our bags or shoes onto that carpet anyhow?). We had a great experience here. The view was to die for. I could lay in bed and stare at the ocean/gulf/and sunsets. You don't have the level of service here as you would at fancy resort hotel, but you aren't paying for that either. We paid $160 a night durning Easter week, and I checked the Hyatt right next door, and it would have been at least $600 a night.... so there you go? I guess I can live with a tiny bathroom and dated comforter, as we chose to spend the savings on activities and dinners out. The location cannot be beat. You are literally in the middle of everything. We never drove our car once arrived! Everything is in walking distance and super close. The towels were light, as we were a family of 5. The 1st day there, I asked the cleanner for some extra towels and she said "this is all I have". However the 2nd day, the cart was in the hall, and I just grabbed some extra towels and nothing was said (I believe the 1st day I was at the end of her rooms and she was running out, as the 2nd day the cart had plenty on there). This reminds me of staying at a condo rental - and in the future I would just pack myself some extra faceclothes for my full family - and be prepared to not get a ton of towels daily. Service was fine. They had a continental breakfast downstairs, which was nice (you couldn't bring anything to your room from there... but then again maybe that is how they keep bugs out). The 1st night we arrived, I thought I had booked a suite, but realized I did not, and our room had 2 double beds... so at 9:30 at night I called down to front desk and asked if they had a roll-away bed, they said they would check, and 15 min.s later rolled a twin bed into our room. My husband wanted to give the 2 girls a $5 bill to thank them, and they refused to accept it and just said enjoy your stay here. We would return again, knowing what to expect, and realizing the savings on the room cost, can be better spent doing things. Staying in walking distance to everything.... you only need a place to sleep and shower. I'll spend money on more expensive resorts, when I need those services. Not needed here.

1 Thank WisconsinHartland
Seville OH
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My family stayed at the Beachview Inn over Spring Break April 1-5. There were 7 of us Adults, teens & children and we ALL had an amazing time! The rooms were clean, there were no "crazy spring breakers" the carpets were fine, and the staff were friendly! Dont let the bad reviews scare you! Its an older motel folks, but its taken care of! We had 2 rooms there, 201 & 416. Loved them both! Room 201 was poolside/ocean front. The pool is super!! Cleaned daily & heated! Plenty of tables w/ umbrellas & lounge chairs for all! Our Room 416/ 4th floor was a suite & had an amazing oceanview from the balcony! The rooms are large (compared to most motels) with kitchen tables/chairs, fridge,sink, microwave, and toaster. These came in SO handy & enable you to store cold drinks & leftovers from dinners ect.- thus making them worth their weight in gold! The best feature this hotel has to offer handsdown is its LOCATION! You are just steps from the beach! You are also sandwiched between great restaurants ( I loved Brits & Crabbys) on either side.( And if you dont want to eat the hotels FREE continental b-fast, than McDonalds is 2 doors down!) The hotel's also right beside a great beach shop(Surf style) where you can buy anything from groceries (for the room) to clothing at great prices! I also loved the hotel being so close Pier 60! Its fun to stroll down every evening & watch the street performers, shop, have ice-cream, or just let the kids play on the playground. The Marina is just a short walk over to as well & they offer fun boat rides departing all day! I would most def. stay here again, the price is right and its has everything you need to make for a great family vacation at the beach!

Room Tip: Request a poolside room if you have kids! (there are only 4!) Request a room on the 4th or 5th floor...
Saline, Michigan
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We got a room here just for a night while waiting for a flight, and it was meh. The room was bigger than I'd expected, but the bathroom was too small to even walk in and out of. The staff was very rude and difficult - they made us pay for extra towels, then didn't give us any because they said they were out! Wouldn't stay here again, because I'm not really a motel person.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Leah G
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2012

What an absolutely filthy dump and I am not exaggerating! We were due to stay here for three nights. Within 10 minutes of checking in, we were back downstairs checking out and requesting a full refund. The room was tiny but more importantly, it was filthy! The carpet and bedspread were covered in stains. I don't even want to think what could've caused them! We had just spent 2 hours in the car and I was desperate for the loo, but our bathroom was so filthy that I held off until I found a Starbucks! The 'fridge' was a health hazard! The air con unit had been leaking and the carpet soaked through. Do not stay here, honestly it is truly awful and should be closed down!

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank UffieIppo

Travellers are raving about these Clearwater hotels