“Great location and excellent view!”
Review of Beachview Hotel

Beachview Hotel
Ranked #48 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Michigan
“Great location and excellent view!”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I was skeptical prior to staying at the Beachview Inn due to some of the reviews on this site, but its price on a gulf view room so close to the boardwalk compared to other hotels in the area was hard to beat, so I decided to take a risk and book here.

I was pleasantly surprised by my stay. I was only at Beachview for a night, but I would have extended my stay had time permitted. To look at some of the issues I was debating prior to booking, there is wear to the rooms. Yes, there were chips and chunks taken out of the paneling in the elevator that looked like it had seen better days, and there were little chips in the tiling in my bathroom (which was quite small). There were a lot of families out and about when I arrived (and yes, you will have to pay for parking), and it does look like the hotel gets a lot of wear and use throughout the year. However, everything was clean, albeit dated. I didn't have any concerns about getting into the bed, as it was spotless. The bathroom, even for the worn tiles here and there, was clean as well. No germ concerns. I will say I have stayed in hostels on other trips I have taken (not in Florida), so perhaps my view of the hotel was from a different perspective than others' on the site.

Additionally, yes, the continental breakfast is not what most people view when they imagine "continental." Not a large selection of different breakfast foods. For me, I will admit, I had just come from a business hotel that was almost double the price of Beachview and did not have any breakfast whatsoever, so I was appreciative of what was available here.

For me, the bottom line was that I did not come to Clearwater to stay in my room. I wanted a clean, affordable, and tidy room with a great view and accessibility, and I got that plus a private balcony overlooking the pool/gulf. It was in a great location for me to come in, get a parking spot without having to fight on a side street, change into my swimsuit and hit the boardwalk. I was able, too, to come back much later in the night and sit on my balcony. That said, if someone were looking for a nicer hotel, such as for a romantic getaway to the beach, I would not recommend this hotel to them. But, if I were in the Clearwater area again, I would definitely return to Beachview.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Pixel331

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed 9 July 2012

In fairness, I need to give this place a little better review than some of the others. My view of all the staff we interacted with -Lourdes, Anthony, Monica etc. was just the opposite of some of the reviews. All tried to accommodate our needs and did so to the best of their abilities.
First, I have stayed on Clearwater Beach literally dozens of times over 40 years and this place is an average facility for the medium price hotel room category. People with more money stay in the pricier resorts and older couples in the quieter mom and pop places on the north beach. This place had a lot of active young families and college students when we were there.

The comments about the scary elevator and charge for parking are true--I got stuck in the hot elevator and had to pry open the inner door to get out --they did respond and fix it. The elevator is new (1 year old) and unfortunately kids were on the elevator unsupervised by their parents pushing all the buttons for fun. Hard to maintain equipment that is being abused and the wait for the elevator is long when you are trying to check out and a child is pushing the buttons so you get a tour of all the floors.
Since we stayed for a week they gave us the parking free. They do charge for internet but you can get it free in the lobby.
My family had a half dozen rooms with varying ages and everybody had a good time. The beach is close, the view is great, the rooms are big and they do keep the pool and rooms clean.
The breakfast is probably not worth the trouble and they do police it to excess. The metal tables and chairs and people talking in a small room make it very noisy and there is only one little toaster for the entire room. The 7-9 AM time span is pretty lame for a vacation resort--I would like to sleep a little on my vacation.
I think they need to either eliminate the breakfast or make a deal with the place next door and give a basic continental breakfast coupon you could upgrade--benefit both businesses. Most if not all of the rooms have refrigerators and kitchens so why do you need a breakfast of mostly packaged breakfast treats?
Will I stay here again--definitely. The pros outweigh the cons big time. Good restaurants are nearby, the beach is across the street and we had great weather...

Room Tip: Spring for the suites on upper floors. They have the best view and are the biggest. The smaller ro...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank travelsplenty21042
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I chose a weekday stay for the price and location. It rained the whole time, but the gulf front balcony made the rain seem less bothersome.
I walked everywhere. Other people like me who really wanted to be there had a great time at the beach, at dinner and on Pier 60.
I liked the gulf front suite because it was clean and large. The room had 2 TV’s fridge and some type of cook top that looked like a built in hot plate.
Bathroom was clean and had enough towels for me.
Next door is a surf shop that is like a giant convince store with snacks, clothing and an indoor surfing ride.
I used the super shuttle from TPA. It always takes over an hour to get to the beach from the airport. The return airport shuttle was on time and I really appreciate the call before arrival at the hotel.
The room had a 4 cup coffee maker that worked fine but I didn’t like the coffee. I would go next door the night before and buy the ready brewed coffee, refrigerate it then reheat in the AM.

Room Tip: Get a high floor for the gulf front room. The high floor gets a Bay view from the entry and a gulf v...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank TXStoney
Seneca, Illinois
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I think the title of the review says it all - it's the view that gets the highest marks and the motel, well, it has location, location, and location but for somewhere to stay that you would want to "stay" in, it doesn't quite fit the bill.

Arrived on Monday afternoon and the lady at the counter wasn't pleasant at all. She was arguing with a customer and appeared to be extremely angry as we arrived to check-in. There was no pleasant greeting from her to us and absolutely no smiles whatsoever. She wasn't pleased the second day when I had to go ask for extra towels (and also needed toilet paper) for our room as housekeeping always left only three sets of towels daily for four people.

After the check-in, we waited and waited for the elevator which finally arrived but had quite a sour smell to it. That was the last time we used the elevator as steps were available. It was a laugh when watching anyone push the elevator button and then watching how long it took before they actually were able to use the elevator.

Cons: The first thing noticed on entering the room was the badly stained carpeting and the run down furniture. One of the two double beds had a bent leg that looked ready to collapse making one wonder if a crash was going to happen when one sat down on the bed. The kitchenette consisted of a small refrigerator, sink, and microwave. In the cupboard, there were some metal pots and pans (no stove!), a couple of dishes and a toaster. Oh, speaking of the toaster, finding a place to plug it in was fun as there is a definite lack of electrical outlets in the room but found a spot where the TV was plugged into. The only other electrical plug available would have been to put the toaster on the bed and we agreed that wasn't a good idea.
When sitting out on the balcony, the heat from the air conditioner was continually blowing hot air.

There was supposed to be a pull out bed in the room for one of our party, but instead it contained a small love seat-type sofa that was so stained and dirty that I didn't understand why some stretch covers couldn't have been a reasonable and fairly inexpensive choice for covering up the dirt and threadbare sofa by hotel management. Thank goodness, the member of the party using the sofa was a child and small enough to fit on the sofa. There weren't any extra blankets or coverings, so used one of the bed comforters as a cover for the sofa. The beds - oh boy, bring your backache medicine along. These were quite uncomfortable beds with a plastic cover under the sheets which made the sheets slippery which pulled away from the corners of the bed nightly making extra work for housekeeping!

Also, Be prepared that on check-out, you'll be charged $5.00 a day for parking.

Pros: The view out the sliding glass doors/windows was beautiful and a real treat to wake up to and look at whenever in the room. I also enjoyed the balcony to look out over the pool and see the palm trees waving with the Gulf and beach in the background. Beautiful!

Cons: The bathroom was extremely tiny and the first day the water consisted of hot and cold, but after that first day, the water temperature bordered on lukewarm, and that was that. The toilet in the room ran constantly so had to wait to jiggle the handle every time it was flushed. That was quite annoying, to say the least.

Pros: But, again, the view of the Gulf was outstanding and really, how much time does one actually spend in the motel room when the Beach is directly across the street and so inviting?
There is also a McDonald's almost right next door which is great for quick meals. Other restaurants such as Britt's Island Grill or Crabby Joe's are very close and have excellent food. Crabby Joe's has evening entertainment and the entertainment can be heard easily while sitting out on the balcony - which was a plus.

All in all, if what you're looking for is a place to shower off the sand, get some sleep now and then, and change your clothes then this motel would be a reasonable choice as the price was decent and our view most excellent, but if the appearance of the room is important to you then you might want to look further.

NOTE: When we went over to the Beach, there are umbrellas and chairs set up. When we sat down in the chairs around 4pm someone come up to tell us if we wanted to use the umbrellas and chairs they would give us a break and only charge us $12 for 1 1/2 hours (wow - what is the charge for a day???).. We thought that was quite expensive and the following day went to the Surf Style beach shop and found a reasonable umbrella. In fact, the Surf Style shop has a lot of items and very reasonable and very close to this motel.

Pier 60: The pier is quite close to this motel and has daily evening events, so be sure to head over this way to see what's going on. If you want to walk to the end of the pier, it costs $.50 a person to go the entire way out. You can walk about 1/2 way out before you are charged.

Room Tip: If the view is important, make sure you get a room on the west side for beach/Gulf. The east side...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank Lorraine7

Travellers are raving about these Clearwater hotels

Reviewed 26 June 2012

First of all, the lady at the front desk was extremely rude within the first couple of minutes. She was not helpful and spoke to me like I was an idiot. I had to pay for parking, which I was completely unaware of because their site clearly states free parking. I paid for two kitchenette rooms and one smelled really bad. The pull out couch was so stained that you could barely bring yourself to touch it. The carpets were stained so badly that I couldn't make out the actual color. The beds are extremely uncomfortable. Our kitchenettes only had microwaves. No stove. Which was fine. We ate out because the fridge barely worked. The elevator took 5 minutes to work, so I always used the stairs. And it smelled like urine. Housekeeping never once changed our sheets and only gave us 3 towels when there were 4 people staying in the room. They never replaced toilet paper. Had to go to the front desk to always ask for more. When we used the shower, there was only enough hot water for one person and sometimes not even that. We never tried the free continental breakfast, i had already assumed it wouldnt be good due to the disliking of the hotel i had already felt. I loved the view and proximity of all the shops and restaraunts. I would have probably checked out after the first night but I bought a package through Priceline so it was already paid for. Which is why I probably got 2 gross rooms. I'm not much on complaining about things but this place kinda blew my mind. If you don't mind all the things I've said and you want an awesome ocean view for kind of a cheap price, well try it out and see if you like it! Good luck! I'll be at The Hyatt next door!

3 Thank Mbenter
Reviewed 17 June 2012

The location is great! Right across the street from the beach with restaurants nearby. They have a continental breakfast each morning that does NOT contain any fruit at all. Also, it does NOT get restocked as items are consumed by guests. If you are not early enough, you get nothing. They also police the guests coming in and out if the breakfast room - cannot take ANYTHING out! I saw a woman stopped from leavIng the room as she was finishing get English muffin! Crazy!!!

3 Thank CIndyMy
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Overall the room was clean, big, and surprisingly there was no noise given the location, kid friendly. I would recommend :)

1 Thank travelingritz