Sheraton Sand Key Resort
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
Edge Hotel(Clearwater)
2,690 results
All reviewssand keymainstay taverntennis courtsthe club loungepoolside cafeclearwater beachpool areaisland grillsmall bathroomacross the bridgehot tubgreat beachprivate beachstarbucks coffeean umbrellapool staffnice resort
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 April 2011

I am writing this review partly in response to the previous poster - what were you expecting during spring break? Half the kids in America are off from school, and this resort is less than 90 minutes from Disney. Seriously, if you wanted rest and relaxation during EASTER WEEK, which is the second busiest travel week next to Christmas, you should have gone to an adults-only resort.

I have been here with my family all week and all seven of us, parents included, love the resort. The staff is top-notch, the beach is gorgeous and we have rooms with beautiful views. A perfect, low-key vacation for all.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank QueenBozaki
Reviewed 21 April 2011

Am spending the week in the Clearwater area visiting friends, thought I might need a day of peace and quiet poolside/beachside solo. Rather than staying in Clearwater I opted for a more understated/low key Sand Key. The beach is pretty but there is nothing to walk to or drive to unless you drive back over the bridge. I checked in early at 2 and headed to the pool. There wasn't a single lounge chair free. The shrieking, ball playing and water oozies...were out of control. The pool was TINY and there wasn't an empty spot in it. The towel guy also had free swim diapers-- I can only imagine what was IN the pool. The rinky dink walk up bar was a pathetic gazebo with a long line due to the fact that there was only 1 slow moving bartender. Couldn't read, got soaked (iphone wet too) by a pack of water gun toting monsters whose parents weren't particularly concerned with the vacation experience of others. Despite my desperate desire to relax-- the beach was kind of a hike and once I got down there there weren't any free chairs. Pathetic, but I came upstairs, showered and put on pjs. Quiet in here..but the "furnished balcony" has a flimsy lawn chair..I'm staring at a tennis court and a sliver of bay...somehow I cannot figure out where water front is? Maybe I could bring the chair down to the pool tomorrow??

Room Tip: wish I had one !
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank serendipitynow
Reviewed 19 April 2011

We recently stayed at the Sheraton Sand Key and had a wonderful experience. The staff was very friendly, especially the pool attendants. Towels were provided (must show room key) for pool or beach use. There were also noodles for use in the pool. Chairs are first come first serve so get out there early. There are chairs with cushions ($8 each) and umbrella/cabana rentals available ($25 for the entire setup) on the beach, which is a short walk down from the pool. There is a food and beverage cart that comes out to the beach so you can have lunch and cocktails. The entire property is clean, they power wash the pool deck every morning. There was a place to get snacks, coffee, and donuts in the hotel, and the pool cafe is convenient. The Island Grille is a great place for lunch. This hotel is not located in the tourist-y area of Clearwater Beach, but a quick ride on the trolley can get you there in minutes. The bed was comfy and there is an HDTV in the room.

There were a few negatives, one being the bathroom is a little cramped with the toilet and tub/shower in one small room and the sink outside did not have a lot of space for personal items. And we had a harbor view which was nice but at night it was ruined by the bright lights of the tennis courts. The pool was wonderful but could be bigger. Internet in the room was extra but there were 5 or 6 HP touchscreen computers in the business center which is located in the bar.

Overall--great vacation spot!

Reviewed 18 April 2011

My husband and I decided to get away for a night for our anniversary. I paid extra for a "bay view", expecting that I would be able to enjoy a quiet cup of coffee on the patio in the morning. I didn't realize (because the website mentions NOTHING about it) that I would be a few feet away from the air conditioners for the lobby and restaurants. It was so noisy, my husband and I couldn't even go out there! My bay view was a view of a dirty roof and part of the parking lot. I asked the front desk about this, and they informed me that I was in the right room. The manager rudely informed me that there was nothing that could be done, as there were few rooms left, and they had similar views.

I paid $300 dollars/ night for this room (Spring Break) and it was not worth a third of that. The halls smell like copious amounts of air freshener. My allergies were a wreck by the time I woke up in the morning. The hallway walls and doors were dirty. The room was small; the bathroom was so small, i could touch all four walls from the toilet. I was billed $3.25 for my morning coffee that was in the room, despite the fact that there was NO sign indicating it wasn't complimentary.

The beach is nice. Not awesome. Nice. The parking is free. Other than that, this place is a complete joke.

1  Thank Anniekins214
SSK1160, Manager at Sheraton Sand Key Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2011

I'm sorry to hear the Sheraton Sand Key Resort did not meet your expectations. We truly do strive to exceed our guests' expectations, so comments such as yours are very humbling. If you would ever like to discuss the matter further, please don't hesitate to contact us directly. Your experience with us was not at all up to our standards and we would appreciate the opportunity to speak directly with you about it.

Reviewed 15 April 2011

I was a bit worried about the Sheraton having read a few reviews and we got off to a worrying start.

Upon arrival they made us an very good offer to stay at another hotel for one night due to overbooking. When we said no there was no issue at all-this was accepted and off to our room.

THE ROOM

The room is fine. It had a balcony with a partial bay view. The bed was huge and very comfortable. There was a large 32" LCD television with a good selection of channels. What was interesting is that you could order a few cinema movies direct to the TV. Depending on the movie this ranged in price but was still slightly cheaper than going to the cinema.

The bathroom was small but as one person said, how much time do you really spend in there. At first having the sink outside was unusal, but was actually very practical, allowing me to use the sink whilst my other half was in the shower.

Downside to the room is no fridge. Each night i would fill the ice bucket so i could keep drinks cold. A small friedge would have been handy.

The maids were first class and did a great job. They never disturbed you when the sign was up and unlike some other hotels, they came back to do the room in the afternoon. A big plus.

The balcony was small with two rickety seats and a table. Not in the best condition, but we never used it other than to dry swimsuits.

There was a large gap under the front door and the interconnecting room did allow noise to travel. Although i am a light sleeper it didn't keep me awake. If you are worried, take a pair of ear plugs and you will be fine.

THE FOOD

We ate in the Tavern quite a few times. They had a good menu and i can't fault the food. The service was great and Nate the barman was very friendly and looked after us well.

Rusty's had a lovely carvery which we tried on our last night. Had i tried it on the first night i would have visited more.

The Island Grill was great for lunch and like the Tavern, it had first class service from the staff. Plus the Police ate there regularly and no one knows good food like cops!

Room service was great, and very reasonable IMO.

THE FACILITIES

The pool is too small. It has a fantastically deep end (8ft) but trying to use it during the day was an obstacle course due to kids. Not their fault in the slightest but be aware the hotel does seem to have a lot of kids. There are plenty of liungers, though trying to get one near the pool can be tough. Spread out to the gardens or the steps to the beach and it should be no problem. The pool and gardens are well maintained. I used the pool in and around 7pm when it was empty. During the day it was literally a quick plunge to cool down and out.

The internet cafe is very handy and i can only think of one time i couldn't use it due to a queue. They have touch screens and printing facilities. Very handy.

I had a massage there and i was amazed at both the level of service and the price. Natalie (i think) was fantastic and helped ease away a few knots i had built up. A very very professional set up without making you feel uncomfortable.

THE BEACH

The beach is about 300 metres from the hotel. If you are able bodied and can't walk that distance without complaining then you have bigger issues than the distance. It was a lot quieter than Clearwater thankfully. The water is murky but it didn't stop people. We had several beautiful walks along that beach with amazing sunsets. Everytime i went down i saw dolphins. Go to Walmart and buy a pair of beach shoes-$6 for a pair and will save those feet.

All in all this was an excellent choice. What made it a step above a good hotel was the staff. They were fantastic and i would not hesitate in going back

Any questions please feel free to get in touch

Room Tip: Free parking is a plus