“Experienced luxury hoteliers' objective report...”

Sheraton Sand Key Resort
Ranked #14 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
bonita springs, fl
“Experienced luxury hoteliers' objective report...”
Reviewed 3 February 2013

As the title states, I am an experienced hotelier in the luxury beach resort business. This review is an objective one, simply the truth as I see it.

I rate this "resort" a three for a number of reasons, as they should really market it as a limited service resort.

Check-in was pleasant enough. Right off the bat though I can tell this employee isn't polished. I arrived at night and entered my second floor room. Went straight for the balcony door, only there wasn't one. I am surprised to find a large sliding window that allows me access to the roof of the first floor? The view is of another large part of the building. Ok. Step onto the roof for a cigarette and take a look at the balcony next to my room, I am shocked to notice that the 80's style vinyl strap furniture is covered in mildewed spots, simply embarrassing for the resort. Go back in the room, notice that the carpet seems to be new, which is nice, but the install is certainly not flawless around the edges. Who inspected this after it was done and thought it was fine? Tv is a nice LG LCD, and programming is HD. Bedding is nice and comfortable. Some lamps and mirrors appear to be new, as are some fixtures. It appears to be a phased renovation, and from a capital improvement standpoint I can understand that in this economy. The A/C unit works well, but it's a motel unit in the wall! Noise. Speaking of noise, you will hear everything going on outside of your room. It feels like someone is about to walk in when housekeepers are across the hall. Not relaxing. The bathroom is adequate, albeit an odd design. The area for the ice bucket and coffee maker is cramped, but the single cup maker and Starbucks pouches isn't a bad option. They do have some liquid creamer too. The housekeeping seems fine, though I don't leave much for them to do either. Overall the room is mixed.

Now, at a beach resort you would normally see staff setting up chairs for guests at the pool and servers bringing food and drinks. Not here, you are handed towels and food and beverage service mean go get it yourself. I even watched an elderly guest struggling to move a lounge chair for his wife, literally five feet from the pool hut as the attendant just watched. The chair back smacked this poor guest in the head, still not a move from the attendant. I couldn't believe it. The beach is a bit of a trek, but not too bad. The beach concession is run by a guy named Bill and he has been on this beach for 40 years. We had a nice talk and he displayed the best attention to detail and service ability I saw during my stay. But he doesn't work directly for the hotel either. The food at the tiki bar poolside is adequate, its a snack shack, not a restaurant. They charge for soda refills! Are you kidding? That soda costs about 7 cents and you want to charge a dollar for a refill? Why bother, it's just going to irk your guests. Bad policy, particularly when I have to go get it. The pool deck was pretty clean, but also pretty small. One of my towels was torn and frayed, and given that the attendant wasn't actually doing set ups, should have been pulled from rotation. Attention to detail? Again, not here.

I could go on, but the bottom line is this; it's not really a resort. It's a convention hotel on the beach. It seems to be in a physical transition which will help and the service isn't awful but it certainly isn't polished or proactive from anyone I've dealt with. I have no idea what my girlfriend's company is paying for the room but I don't think I'd pay more than $250 a night at any point of the year given what I know about the south Florida pricing structure for this segment of the industry.

If you get a great rate and you aren't expecting an actual resort, and make sure your view is decent, you might do ok here. It's not the worst place ever, but it's got a long way to go and could easily improve in many areas immediately. I have to question the abilities of the executive level management here to be honest. I see potential, but it's not being taken advantage of well at all.

• Stayed February 2013
8 Thank prelude9925

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (594)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 2 February 2013

First stay was in 2009 and really loved it and we came back again in 2010. When you book it is so worth it to book an ocean front room as it is a breathtaking view. Everything was perfect restaurants, rooms, bar, pool etc. In 2009 we loved the tiki bar but for some reason it was not as much fun the second time so we walked down to the Marriott at end of Key and really enjoyed the tiki bar at the Marriott. It is the perfect hotel to stay at if you would like a peaceful beachfront location, but it is really very far from downtown Clearwater. We had to ring for a taxi to take us in and out of town. All and all it is a great hotel but expensive.

Room Tip: Get Oceanfront....so worth it
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ReadyToFlyNow
DNapoleon, Manager at Sheraton Sand Key Resort, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review; it is appreciated. We have just done renovations to our lobby, all our food and beverage outlets and throughout the whole Sheraton Sand Key Resort, we would love for you to make a return visit and check it out.
Boyertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 February 2013

This hotel was one of the more luxurious I have stayed in but I loved it! Everything you needed was right there but it was quiet and right on the beach. Very clean, great choice of restaurants, well maintained grounds and interior.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
What a pleasure it was to read your review; it is our goal to help make your vacation be a memorable experience. We hope that your stay will inspire a return visit.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 31 January 2013

The hotel was in a great location. The staff was very accommodating (I needed to microwave some pizza and since there wasn't a microwave in the rooms, I was told who could help me with this request.) The rooms were clean and large, although the bathroom area in the King bed room was a little small. The fitness center was on the top floor with a great view, very nice equipment and a contracted person on duty. The only negative comment was that the noise from doors closing, water running, showers, and toilet flushing in the rooms near us could be heard loudly in our room.

Room Tip: Near the end of the hall might be the quietest.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Panama City Beach, Florida
Reviewed 31 January 2013

My wife and I attend a conference at the Sheraton Sand Key Resort in January, 2013. I am a Travel Agent and identified myself as such at check-in. I opted to pay for the Club Level Room for $40 more. The Club Level rooms are on floors 7 and 8 and include access to the Club Level Room and free WIFI (normally $10).

Breakfast and evening snacks were available in the Club Room along with a large screen TV and a computer/printer. The food was OK and a free bar was available from 5-7 pm. Since I was not interested in getting drunk every night, the Club Room was not really worth the cost.

The grounds were attractive and clean, as well as the lobby and meeting rooms. The guest room were somewhat disappointing. The bed was too hard, the pillows were too soft, and the bedding looked old. The layout of the room featured the dressing area and sink outside of the bathroom. Not a good idea if one of the members goes to early meetings and the other wants to sleep in. The room has a small balcony and a view of the Gulf.

Our room was located next to the housekeeping room and was very noisy each morning with banging, talking, laughing, etc. There were several young adults in the rooms around us. They stayed out in the hall laughing and talking until late each night. The noise was a definite negative. Having identified myself as a Travel Agent, I expected to get a nice quiet room.

The hotel did not meet the expectations of a Sheraton. I would look for somewhere else to stay if I go back to Clearwater Beach.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Grouper57
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I have stayed at this resort twice now within the last month (January 2013), once alone and once with my husband and college age daughter. I would definitely stay there again. The staff is wonderful -- extremely friendly and efficient. The location is directly on the Gulf of Mexico and the resort has a very nice beach, heated pool, hot tub, and tennis courts, with fabulous views of the sunset. Parking is free or valet, your choice. The pool area is tropically landscaped with views of the beach, and it is not accessible to the general public. When we were there the pool was heated to a comfortable 85 degrees F. There is also a sunning area on bermuda grass with wonderful views of the beach.The rooms are older and both of my rooms were somewhat tired, but they were very clean and comfortable.Internet is about $10 per day unless you are on Club Level. There was complimentary bottled water and coffee in the rooms. The beds are wonderful and each room has a balcony with a seating area that is quite nice.The downside of this resort is that the acoustics are very bad indoors. Hallway noise is easy to hear and there does not appear to be much soundproofing between the walls, so you are at the mercy of other guests who stay there. We could overhear guests in the hallway and next rooms quite clearly... whether they were up late or early risers. Even the hotel's restaurant ("Rusty's" -- which has wonderful food and excellent service) is an acoustic disappointment and it is very loud, possibly due to its extensive stone tiles. We will go back, though, because the awesome, friendly service and location is a winning combination.

Room Tip: Rooms directly facing the ocean, particularly corner rooms, offer great daytime views of the Gulf of...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Jazzdat
DNapoleon, Manager at Sheraton Sand Key Resort, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
We are sincerely pleased that you enjoyed both visits to the Sheraton Sand Key Resort and are glad that you are planning to return. We appreciate that you chose to experience dining in Rusty’s Bistro. We are very proud of the dishes prepared by our award wining Chefs. Our Associates throughout the Sheraton Sand Key pride themselves on efficient, friendly service; your compliments are valued and will be passed on. We welcome your feedback as it helps us to improve our property and services.
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 27 January 2013

I really wanted to Like this Hotel. Really, I did. It just didn't happen. I went there for a Night by Myself, in Jan. 2013. The Grounds are Nice. It's a little Walk to the Water, but no Problem and I'm a Senior. The Staff, was Super Nice. It's the Hotel itself. When You Look down the Halls, it's just Blah. Not a Picture on the Wall, a Pot of Flowers, nothing. The Bar, reminded Me of a " High School Lunchroom " I never had any " Noise " Issues, as Others have Stated. I Stayed, left, the next Day, but it was not " Memorable "

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank marotta2
Thank you, we appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay. It was very thoughtful of you to recognize our associates as they sincerely do want to make our guests’ stay memorable. We are in the process of renovations and all the pieces are not in place just yet, so perhaps that is why you found the décor a little bland. We are excited about our changes and hope that you will choose to come back and give us another opportunity to serve you.