“Keep Driving”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #89 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed 21 April 2013

When checking in asked if breakfast was included and advised that it was. My husband is diabetic so it is important for managing blood sugar levels. Could not believe that the only available item was a waffle and a cup of lousy coffee. Asked if there was at least cereal or some type of fruit such as an apple and was told that all they offer is waffles absolutely nothing else. No cereal, no bread/toast, no muffins, just waffles and you must make them in the waffle maker. Have stayed in several Americas Best Value Inn's and never seen such a cheap dirty franchise as this. No pride in ownership at this one. I appreciate that it is a recent takeover from a Days Inn but to be so cheap is amazing. No alarm clock in room, no hangers, no drawers to put clothes in. Seems like furniture obtained from a flea market. Have to make several more trips to Clearwater and will not be staying with this Americas Best Value in the future. The room we had could also use updating like a new bed and a thorough cleaning. Mold around tub that could use a little bleach and some elbow grease. Generally overall it was dirty and not worth considering. Keep driving. We will.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank J E

Reviewed 26 March 2013

Do not stay here!!!! It is disgusting,smells disgusting, overall disgusting! And worse, on our way out we saw a roach crawling on the refrigerator. Roach motel FOR SURE!!!! We were booked by hotel chain agent over the phone......LIAR!!!!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank IVETTE M
Reviewed 15 March 2013

What a disaster! Room was noisy, carpeting was disgusting, paint in the bathroom was peeling. When we checked in we said it would probably be for 2 nights but maybe only one. They said it was no problem that if we changed our mind and stayed only one night they would removed the charge from our credit card. Ha! When we tried to do that, of course someone different was at the desk. She tried & called the inn manager who after some heated words agreed to a credit for most of the extra night but not a full refund. So we decided to stay the extra night. When we got back to our room that evening they hadn't even made the bed! The towels were still on the bathroom counter. Obviously the cleaning staff had not even entered the room. I will never never again stay in this place.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Veejai
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times in the last few months, the price is very reasonable, and the night lady has always been very nice to me. They do have a non smoking building that does not have that stale musty smell others have reported.This place is not the Hyatt or Ritz.....but for the money and central location, it is fine. By the way, they have a small free breakfast for guests. Maybe I have been lucky here, as I have read the other reviews, that are not good stories about their stays?

Room Tip: I would ask for a second floor room in the non smoking building, if you don't smoke. The first f...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I don't like walking into a lobby and being treated as if I'm interrupting the staff by just being there. I also don't like being handed a key as if I should know which building, where to park and where I can find the room. The room appeared clean, but had a musty smell. There was something on the ceiling that looked like mold. There was a hole in the bathroom door and another in one of the walls. Neither were repaired. The french doors to the parking lot were disabled so they would not unlock or open. The king sized bed was adequate, but only had 3 pillows. I could not find an ice machine (or map to one) in our building, but I did find an ice machine in another building after walking around for a while with my ice bucket. There were no directions or doors to the pool. The pool was found in a fenced area behind the building, which made it pretty inconvenient for anybody at the hotel. There was an area in the parking lot that was used for trash collection. That area was littered and sloppy with food items on the ground. Our time there was short, but I would not go back. Nothing they couldn't clean up if they wanted to. Not friendly. Not clean enough. Not going back!

Room Tip: It's a stop & flop. If you need a bed for a night it might work for you. Don't expect...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John F
Reviewed 1 February 2013

Start with the good as it's short...

Pretty much the cheapest major hotel/motel in the area. Room was spacious, plenty of parking, clean pool and pretty centrally located.

The bad...

Rooms have musty smell. As others have said... mattress and boxsprings are stained. Had a cockroach in the room, locking mechanism on door rarely worked without swiping the card no less than 10 times each time, carpets are dirty, and no sugar or cream packets with coffee.

In fact, there's no continental breakfast at all (not that I'd want one from here), and housekeeping doesn't refill shampoos and soaps. Also, hotel is located on busy US 19 (which normally is fine), but if you want to go north you have to try and cross four lanes of traffic to a u-turn spot or go down a mile or so and swing under the overpass and drive back up.

Finally, the internet is pretty bad. For such a small complex you'd think it would be pretty good being that there's two wi-fi routers. They are constantly going down, and have very slow speeds.

So... I realize people want to save money but spend the extra $5-$10 a night and you'll get more than double the extra money in cleanliness and amenities.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank CaliSoulSurfer
Reviewed 12 January 2013

Reserved it online, stopped there close to midnight. The receptionist announced a problem with hot water but advised to cancel reservation by calling to the agency provided my reservation. The agency responded "can not reach them by phone". I had to look around for another hotel and now disputing the reservation through a credit card.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Alex S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clearwater
Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Clearwater FL
Holiday Inn Express Clearwater North/Dunedin
Clarion Inn & Suites
Clarion Inn & Suites
#62 of 98 in Clearwater

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!