“My Last Stay at a 2 Star Hotel”

Magnuson Hotel Clearwater Central
Ranked #57 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed 30 June 2014

All in all, this was my fault. The Trip Advisor reviews seemed relatively OK, and I tried to parlay some Wyndham points into two rooms for my family of six. We were staying in Orlando at a Marriott resort for a week, but wanted some beach time for one full day, so how bad can it be? Just a place to shower and sleep for one night. Plus, being a Phillies fan, I thought it would be fun to eat breakfast at Lenny's next door, and show the kids the Phils' Spring Training home.
Scratch all that. The trouble started when we went to check in. The lady at the counter spent at least 15 minutes trying to input a reduced rate for a customer, and had trouble doing that with her computer. Not once did she make eye contact with us to at least apologize for the delay. When she finally finished, she looked at me and said "I assume you are here to check in"...Really? Once we got checked in, it was apparent that we really didn't want to be here... the hotel is old, the doors to each room are a mess, the bedspreads on the beds were scary, and the final straw for our adult girls and their husbands was a dead roach on the floor in their room. They just decided to forget it... they managed showers and headed back to Orlando (we came in two cars). My wife and I decided to try to at least get some value for our points so we decided to stay, and plan to visit the area the next day. I will say our bathroom and shower were OK, and our room was passable. We slept some, but got up early and left to be with the rest of our family. I'll end this by saying this hotel may be OK for some, but if you are used to better...don't come here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
TravelodgeClearwater, Owner at Magnuson Hotel Clearwater Central, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear PA Traveler, Thank you for your feedback even though we did fall short or yours and my expectations we can use this to make improvements for future travelers. Based on your experiences we implemented a policy that our staff must read reviews at the beginning of the shift, they have all been trained in customer service and are extremely nice people but we hope this will improve future check in experiences. We will are also adding a second computer system to the front desk to try to eliminate waiting for check in at busier times.

The pest your daughters experienced in the room is frustrating. We do have professional pest control service with a monthly preventative service. Vito our rep has been with us for 3 years and is the best I have experienced. Roughly 3 or 4 times a year we do get Palmetto bugs dead in the entrance area to the rooms, they do look like cockroaches and most people mistake them, while it can be a disturbing it does mean the service is effective and it eliminated the pest before it made it further into the room. I certainly hope this was the case for your family and I am sorry it happened to you, it is unlucky as it occurs very seldom as we will rent over 28,000 rooms this year.

On a positive note we do work very closely with the Phillies and they are our largest group account we have players from the farm system on the property year round and every year 1 or 2 of the big league guys will have a short stay. Go Phillies…

If you are going to be in Clearwater in the future please call me directly and give us a chance to show you why we are a highly rated budget hotel. We want the only Major difference between us and the Marriott you were at to be the price. We do have more work to do but will be constantly improving till we get to that level. Kelly

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Travelodge Clearwater. When I walked in, it did not smell like a cheap hotel. Inexpensive and good location. The décor was a little dated, but overall a good experience.
Breakfast included waffles, yoghurt, cereals, coffee and apple juice. No real orange juice.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Check in went smoothly and woman working at front desk was very efficient.

Our clean, large room was across from pool, with 2 double beds, TV, mini fridge and microwave. Shower worked fine. I liked the tile floor throughout. It was quiet at night, so no problems sleeping. Used the patio table and chairs to eat our Chik-Fil-a take-away food, located not far away. Hotel was challenging to access as there is a lot of road/highway construction going on close by.

Price was amazing as DH booked through Hotwire @ $156 for 3 nights or $52 nightly. It's not a big surprise to find out it's a 2 star hotel ; you get what you pay for. Good value!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DebT57
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My daughter's softball team was attending a tournament nearby and chose to use this hotel. I made my reservation directly with the hotel and spoke with a very friendly clerk. My initial experience was very good. I even had to later change the reservation, which was handled very professionally.
Upon checking in, the clerk was very efficient and handled a long line very impressively. You could tell she was very experienced and dealt with the guests like a pro.
While walking to my room, things immediately changed. The grounds and building needed much repair and seemed to be in bad shape. Lots of wood rot, old paint, dirty windows, rusted metal, broken concrete stairs, etc. By the time I got to my room I was very nervous.
Things did improve a little when I opened my room. The room was very outdated also, but seemed clean. Unfortunately no matter how much it was cleaned, it would still feel dirty just because of the outdated look to the room. The room was much smaller than you would expect from other hotel chains, especially the bathroom. Things like an old TV, toilet installed crooked, tile cracked, different door knobs on each side of the door, popcorn ceilings, etc. just screamed that it was an old room.
Other than a large gross stain on one of the blankets, the rest of the room seemed fairly clean.
There is a small refrigerator and microwave in the room.
Our room faced the pool, which was extremely loud. There were several high school sports teams there for summer camps & tournaments. This kept the pool area very loud with radios and kids just having fun until late at night.
I probably would have left and gone to another hotel if my daughter's team mates had not been there also.
As far as location - it was hard to tell if we were in a rough part of town or not. There were several strip clubs within walking distance. But continue down the road and there were nice restaurants and shopping centers.
This hotel is very convenient to everything - beaches, dining, shopping, softball fields, etc.
If you are picky about your hotels, I would suggest you choose another one. There are several nicer chains not far from here.
If you aren't too picky, then give it a try. This is perfect for what I saw - high school teams that aren't too concerned with the outdated look of the building.

Room Tip: Rooms facing pool can be very loud.
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This hotel is a great deal for the the price!! Some of the rooms are older and some have been remodeled( we have stayed in both), but it is very clean!!! For the price we didn't expect much, but we were pleasantly surprised. We had a room on the bottom floor overlooking the pool with nice tile floors and granite countertop in bathroom with refrigerator and microwave. Awesome pool, pretty decent your basic contiental breakfast with waffles, but still quiet and very clean especially for being off the freeway you would never know it!! We will definitely stay again!!

Reviewed 15 June 2014