“Good location, good sevice”

Hilton Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #22 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Located on a busy stretch of beach that puts you in the middle of everything. A 45 minute walk north on the beach, however, will get you to an area with far fewer people. Hotel staff was very nice and helpful. Rooms were clean with average accommodations. Helpful to note that the rooms with two beds are double beds, not queens like many other hilton properties.

• Stayed: May 2014
tripper059, Executive Assistant at Hilton Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you for being our guest and sharing your experience with added information.. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Looking forward to you returning to the Hilton Clearwater Beach.

Executive Assistant

Write a ReviewReviews (4,864)

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for our engagement party. The beds had blood stains the maid started banging on our door at 930am every morning. There was not ample parking for guest. They had to move cars to allow us to park. When I told the front desk, the lady smiled and said, "I'm so sorry, well enjoy the rest of your day." I ended up calling the corporate office. The view was the only positive thing about our stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ab1027
tripper059, Executive Assistant at Hilton Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. You mentioned you stayed in May of this year. I am requesting you please send me further information. Sorry you incurred issues as our guest. .At your convenience, please contact me with name, dates of stay and also room number,. (andrea.Trimmer@hilton.com). so I am able to research your concerns. I am unable to find any information. Thank you for being our guest, I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

My wife and I returned from our 5-night stay at the Clearwater Beach Hilton this morning. I hope to provide a fair review of all aspects of our Hilton experience as follows.

Our first encounter was with one of the valet staff. He welcomed us promptly as we walked through the parking lot. He was friendly and professional as he directed us to the check-in desk and subsequently provided local restaurant recommendations at our request after we returned from the check-in procedure.

The check-in process was excellent as was Jared, the front desk attendant. He promptly greeted us, was friendly and professional. We had arrived some three hours prior to check-in time so we really didn't expect our room to be ready. He confirmed our reservation, said that our room was ready and then informed us that our room had been upgraded to a gulf and pool view room. The only problem with this was that we had requested a gulf view room through the reservation process so I'm not sure how it was actually deemed an upgrade since we merely received what we requested. Nonetheless, we were thrilled that our room was ready and thanked him for such.

Upon entering the room, we found it somewhat underwhelming as far as luxury goes but it was spotless, cool but not frigid and more than sufficient to meet our needs. We have stayed in bigger and more modern rooms but this room was by no means a disappointment. We sure don't expect to spend much time in the room while on vacation so as long as it is clean and has a good bed, we are pleased. However, even though the bed was pitched as something special, it was actually lumpy and neither my wife nor I slept that well any night. The problem may have actually been more due to the five half-pillows that all hotels seem to provide nowadays. Additionally, it was obvious that this was not a top-notch property in that the walls were not well insulated as we easily heard conversations in every direction. Of course, if some other guest exercised common decency by not slamming doors and screaming in the halls, the thin walls might not be an issue. The air conditioner was loud and kicked off and on constantly.

During our stay, I contacted the concierge twice and spoke with the front desk staff twice as well. All such staff, especially Mary, the concierge, were very nice. I seemed to spend way too much time questioning charges that were being billed to my Hilton HHonors credit card account. The first issue was that I was being charged $10.70 a day for self-parking instead of $7.00 as quoted on my reservation confirmation. Mary took ownership of this issue and stated that the error had been corrected. Unfortunately, I had to address this issue again a few days later. That being said, the front desk attendant promptly made the adjustment. Additionally, my credit card account was charged $250 for "incidentals" yet my account was also charged separately for a random amount that the front desk attendant couldn't explain. The attendant assured me that the charge would be removed yet it remains on my account at this time. I really don't expect to be bothered with these types of financial issues but that seemed to be more the underlying trend as our stay progressed.

The second night of our stay, we decided to drive to a restaurant but we noticed that the parking lot was over capacity as we were preparing to leave. We questioned one of the valet staff if we would be assured of available parking since we were being charged for it. He informed us that a wedding and a graduation ceremony had both been booked for that evening. He was very apathetic regarding our concerns so we attempted to questioned another of the valet staff as we were leaving but he ignored us so we just went ahead and left. Upon our return, we were fortunate to enter just as another guest was leaving. Had this not been the case, I don't know where we would have found a place to park. There was at least one more wedding booked there two nights later and the parking issue remained. I believe that Hilton staff being aware of suck special event bookings, should have made efforts to make parking available elsewhere to these non-hotel guests and shuttled them to the events but hey, I'm just a customer.

Regarding the remainder of our stay, our room attendant was nice and did a great job cleaning our room. I tipped her well for her efforts. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the beach hut bartender at Tommy's Tiki Hut, which is a real stretch in reference to the young lady that served us, as she was neither friendly, courteous or competent. Hilton really tries to push Tommy's Tiki Hut as they provide each guest with a coupon for two free "Signature" cocktails. We didn't make it to the Tiki Hut until our fourth day and I'm glad because it would have left a bad taste in my mouth for more days if we had went sooner. We ordered two Pina Coladas that were to made with call liquors but they merely turned out to be glorified slushees. They were overly sweet, void of any alcohol and worst of all, we were informed that they were not "signature" cocktails so were we're billed $24 for the two 12-ounce slushees. It turns out that "signature cocktail is a synonym for "daily special" which is only $5 is cheap vodka and Blue Curacao. We went ahead and ordered two since they were free but my wife poured hers out and I was able to choke only half of mine down. I tipped the bartender 15% on the two Coladas with came to $3.60 and was most undeserved. I only tipped her $1 for the two free drinks and felt stupid for over-tipping. It’s truly a shame that Hilton feels compelled to try to nickel-and-dime it's guests with these scams. We would have much preferred to drink practically all our cocktails and dine at the Hilton on-site restaurants and bars but there are so many better options within a 5-minute walk both regarding rice and service.

On our final day, we decided to get some beach chairs and spend the day at the beach. We assumed that the beach chairs were included in the daily $20 resort fee we were charged but we quickly found that not to be the case. Chairs can be rented for $10 each and an umbrella for another $15. We went ahead and rented two chairs and the cost was $25. Upon reviewing the invoice, I noted that there was an 18% "service fee" in addition to the normal 7% sales tax. I get the tax but since when is someone required to be paid just to take our money. I questioned the clerk about the service fee and he responded that "it all just goes in together." Seeing that he failed to grasp the lunacy of his response, I merely walked away with our chairs.

I could go on but I really feel like I need to stop here and provide some context since I rated our stay "Excellent" even with the problems described above. Let me first say the location for this resort is superb as far as my wife and I are concerned. We stayed at the Holiday Inn a few blocks down the beach two years prior but found ourselves walking down to this Hilton area every night to eat and/or drink so we booked the Hilton this time and we are thrilled we did. We had a very short walk to every place we went and for this reason, we would most likely stay here again. Additionally, even though there we disappointed with a couple of the Hilton staff, we were extremely pleased with most every other member of the Hilton staff.

In closing, I would like to add just a couple of other comments/suggestions as well. The Hilton advertises both a family and one adult pool but this is not the case in reality. I don't blame the Hilton for this as you can't really expect them to enforce this tenet. Some people are of the thinking that they are paying to stay there and as such, their kids are entitled to swim where ever they please. This would be fine, if the taught their kids to show respect and consideration for others but these parents are not capable of teaching what they don't understand themselves. These are the same people that feel like just because they are paying for a room that has a room attendant, they can live like pigs because someone else is there to clean up after them...but I digress.

Additionally, the Hilton advertises "Pool Ambassadors" that serve fruity treats and "Beach Rangers" that will bring you refreshing frozen libations. The truth is that we saw only one serving of fruity treats our five days there and after receiving one beer from the Beach Ranger, we were forced to make our wait to Tommy's Tiki Hut to get another since the Beach Ranger failed to make a second visit.

In summary, we loved the location, we loved the staff that really mattered, and we were content with the room and that's really all we need. It's just a shame that it would seem to have been so easy to have had an absolutely perfect stay if Hilton merely took ownership of more of the small things.

Room Tip: Unfortunately this Hilton does not offer spa services and the on-site dining options are too pricey...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank brianmac7
tripper059, Exeutive Assistant at Hilton Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Your review and feedback about your recent stay at the Hilton Clearwwater Beach is appreciated. We thank you for being our guest and taking the time out to write and share your experience as our guest. Sorry that we did not meet your expectations. Your comments as well as issues are taken into consideration and have also been forwarded to our Executive Team and discussed with the various department staff. Thank you again for sharing and we do hope you will reconsider and visit us again.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Fantastic views of the beach and the town. Our room was on the side of the hotel that overlooked the town and the beach. At night the town was lit up and a very pretty view from our balcony. The beach was to the right and also was a nice view from the balcony. No rooms on the front of the hotel were available for a full beachfront view but this was a nice compromise. Rooms were clean and comfortable but nothing spectacular for the price. I believe it must be the amenities you pay for. Nice pool area with good attendants. Beach chairs and cabanas very nice and had many other rental options like jet skis, etc. Restaurants adjacent to the hotel (also owned by Hilton I believe) provide for more food selections that just the hotel restaurant. There is a Starbuck's kiosk in the hotel which we enjoyed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
tripper059, Executive Assistant at Hilton Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Your feedback regarding your past stay at the Hilton Clearwater Beach is greatly appreciated. Thank you for being our guests and sharing your experience. We do hope should you return to the Clearwater Beach area, you will join us again at the Hilton Clearwater Beach.

Sincerley,

Reviewed 4 June 2014

The Clearwater Beach Hilton offers an exceptional location and beachfront. The beach is clean and beautiful and family-friendly. The staff is very helpful and accommodating. The food is very good, bar service excellent, and pool area fun for all. The walls are thin, however.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Glad to hear your stay with us was a "fun beach stay", and we met your expectations. Your comments regarding your experience at the Hilton Clearwater Beach is greatly appreciated. . Looking forward to having you return.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

If you want to have both a waterfront hotel with a great restaurant overlooking the beach for breakfast you have found your hotel!
We had wonderful service at this hotel! We traveled for a long weekend in May and had stayed at this hotel about 10 years ago. We found the hotel not only updated from the last time but the same great service!
Their are other hotels that are nearby but the prices are A LOT more and this hotel is perfect for price and location! Lots of shops and nearby restaurants to choose from! Lots of parking for valet and self parking!
Monique at the front desk was MORE than accommodating to us! She made sure everything was perfect and told us about so many attractions to see!
Also, Miguel in the restaurant was so helpful to us while having breakfast one morning! He gave us lots of great information about the hotel and the surrounding area!
There is a great small breakfast/lunch place about 20 feet across the street that is open 7-4 that has homemade everything! SO GOOD! Call the Shanty Shack I believe! So good!
This hotel also has a little tiki bar on the beach with lots of activities going on...even frozen washcloths and frozen grapes by the pool at various times!
Definitely a must! This hotel is about 30 minutes from the airport but pretty much the only area I would stay in if I wanted to be on the beach near Tampa!

Room Tip: We stayed on the bay side to save money, the only concern I would have if I spent a lot of money to...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
tripper059, Exewcutive Assistant at Hilton Clearwater Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

We thank you for being our guest. Our staff takes great pride in the quality of service to our guests, They will be made aware of your comments. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and sharing your experiene as our guest. Looking forward to your retunr to the Hilton Clearwater Beach.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Booked the hilton clearwater beach through hotwire and read numerous write ups giving mixed reviews. The property has the best location for the area and each staff member from valet, check in, tiki bar, pool bar and house keeping all offered great customer service standards making our time there enjoyable. We experienced the most magical sunset on the beach which I had heard about but to be there and see it was amazing. It was breathtaking. Spend some relaxing time on the beach with the lovely soft white sand or pool lounger with a cocktail in your hand. Previous reviewers complain about views and noisy fans but really arent we there to enjoy the beach, pool or activities. The hilton bed is very comfy. Unplug the fan at night and pay for a higher floor if thats important to you. We had fun on the sea screamer jetboat and there are lots of great restaurants (crabby bills rocks!!!!)and shops to buy souvenirs. Make sure you allow plenty of time for traffic delays in the weekends especially on sunny days when everyone is out. We loved the clearwater beach area and aim to be back. Thanks Hilton!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Your review and feedback about your recent stay is appreciated and we thank you for being our guests. We are looking forward to having you with us again upon your return to the Clearwater Beach area. Thank you for sharing, and taking the time to write a review.

Executive Assistant.