“Great Place At Clearwater Hilton” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Clearwater Beach

Hilton Clearwater Beach
Ranked #24 of 95 Hotels in Clearwater
scott depot, west virginia
“Great Place At Clearwater Hilton”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2009

My family and I really enjoyed the CLEARWATER HILTON IN FLORIDA. The first couple of days were shaky, but as the week went along it was an extremely nice vacation resort. I highly recommend anyone to visit this resort and you will be guaranteed to have a great time!!!

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (775)
  • Serbian first
Long Beach, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2009

In a word, naw! We’ll be looking to stay somewhere else if/when we visit the Clearwater area again. First, the location. In all of the reviews that I’ve read on Trip Advisor, I didn’t come across one reference to the roundabout. This is a traffic circle that was designed by someone on drugs. It’s very dangerous and at times will create a tremendous traffic backup. During the week, and at off-hours it wasn’t bad but, at other times, it would take at least ½ hour to get through.
As for the hotel; we reserved a room with a king bed, high floor, harbor view room with a good working a/c unit, (spouse has asthma). After I made our reservation, I called the hotel and told them we’d prefer a suite if available. When we checked in, the clerk, (should be spelled with a “j”) told me, no king beds nor suites are available. He offered us one room with a king bed but with no view or, a room with two single beds. I haven’t slept in a single bed since I was a teenager. After I told him I was going to check out another hotel and asked what they would charge my credit card for cancelling, did he ask his supervisor to come over. She came over and corrected him in that these were not single beds but two doubles. I asked them to contact me if a room with a king would be available. This was on Saturday, and people would be checking out at 11:00 on Saturday and Sunday. I would check with the front desk periodically and nothing freed up. We saw many families checking out over the weekend and not one room with a king size bed freed up? When I checked with the front desk, I was told, “yes, you are on the list for a king-size bed and the rooms are being cleaned and refreshed. As soon as one is available, we will call you”. Sunday passed, no call, Monday passed, no call. They never called. And here’s the winner. I overheard the front desk talking to a family and they were offering them an upgrade to a suite. Was this suite available and they were holding it? Why wasn’t the suite offer to us? I didn’t get a good night’s sleep in 5 nights.
A vacation is what you make it; you overcome the problems that others give you and make the best of it.
We enjoyed the breakfast at the hotel, the staff was exceptional and the food quite good a bit pricey but acceptable. The gal behind the bar was very friendly and personable. The facilities in the room were marginally acceptable. The shower was lacking water pressure and it felt like the shower-head was going to fall off. There are no hanging hooks in the bathroom and you have to be a contortionist to access the bathroom tissues. The staff did an excellent job of cleaning and preparing the room but, they would not get to the room until late afternoon. I guess with that many rooms and a limited staff some rooms would have to be cleaned late.
Pool area was nice; no umbrellas are available. I saw a couple of people bring there own beach umbrella; great idea. There is one area in front of the tiki bar that has shade. Unfortunately, “chair hogs” would put towels down and “reserve” the chairs. They have two pools, the second pool is only 4-foot deep so the water is very warm.
Valet parking is a problem. It takes too long to drop off and/or get your car. You’d be better off parking your car yourself. We did the valet parking on Saturday and Sunday but after that, we parked the car ourselves. Be careful; watch for the “double-dip” we cancelled the valet parking after Sunday but I noticed that they charged us both $8.56 (valet) and $5.35 (self) on the same day.
BOTTOM LINE: We enjoyed our stay at the Hilton however, we’ll stay elsewhere next time we visit Clearwater because of the shenanigans that the front desk pulled. For a better deal, check out the Sand Pearl right up the street.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2009

We stayed here in a newly refurbed room, which was lovely, great bed with plenty of space and the usual desk, tv and coffee making facilities (it was a deluxe balcony room) until the aircon unit caught your eye. Rusting, falling off the wall and leaking so much that house keeping were changing the towels placed under it frequently, it did still work but in a newly refurbed room it made you think it was more of a furnishings job than an overhaul. The bathroom was decorated to a good standard but it did not have a bath so if you like a bath ask for a room with one, it did have a portable make up mirror though.
The location of the hotel was superb, you could walk to many restuarants, bars and shops, we went to Frenchy's Bar and Grill on the beach and watched the sunset and Cooters where the service was less desirable - wrong food delivered, order forgotten when it did arrive and the waiter telling one member of the party what they had ordered when the rest of us sat there and new plainly it was a bad attempt to cover their already poor service !
Breakfast was the typical buffet or you could order off the menu, it was fresh and well presented and the waitiing staff were very attentive and friendly as well as the Chrissel on reception, she was very polite and easy to talk to and gave us a great map of the Clearwater area. The bar staff are a different story .. ignored at the bar, over looked for other guests to be served before you and no pleases or thank yous, a BIG disappointment !
The beach stretch in front of the hotel is perfect and the hire of beach chairs etc was quick and effiecient but it should be for $27 for two chairs and a brolly for the day. The girls in the sand buggy delivering drinks and food were great and was a nice touch. The sea is warm, calm and shallow.
The pool was busy and had no brolly's so if you like shade you are better to hire at the beach, but that could be there way of getting $$$ from you ?!?
I would not return, i would go and stay at the Sandpearl two blocks away for the same stunning location and within easy reach of all the restaurants etc. i would only recommend this hotel if you get a good deal and you don't expect 100% service.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2009

...not to mention the hotel itself and its amazing location right on the beach and next-door to the Pier. What a package! From the servers in the restaurants to the front-desk staff to the wonderful ladies who refresh your room each day to the Executive Assistant who greeted me warmly each morning in the lobby, this Hilton has it all.

My room was very comfortable (the extra-large flat-panel TV didn't hurt a bit either) with classy amenities (Crabtree & Evelyn) and a welcoming feel each time I returned to my 9th-floor aerie.

Each morning I would descend to the dining room to have a delicious buffet breakfast watched over by attentive and friendly servers who brought amazingly delicious coffee in my own carafe--what a way to start my day!

Are you getting the idea that I thoroughly enjoyed my 5-day stay? Was it worth the cost? Absolutely! A great vacation experience made all the more enjoyable by the genuine warmth of each and every staff member. I'll return for more...

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2009

This is our second stay in this hotel. The inside has been completely updated just not as nice as the others on the outside. This was a beautiful hotel with excellent staff which accomodated us from our point of arrival. We were upgraded for free to a beautiful upgraded room. We got this hotel for $160 per night plus an extra 15% off through hotels.com. The hotel is right on the beach offering a pool with food and bar service, any type of rentals you could want for water activities, swim classes, the bar area even had family games to play while we snacked during the short rain storm. Our stay couldn't have been better, we walked to everything....didn't move our car once. We ate at Crabby Bill's which was great, and at Frenchy's Rockaway Grill. We also had a great experience dining inside the bar area of the hotel. The drinks are better inside than at the outside bar in my opinion. The beach water was amazingly warm and blue/green.....we didn't want to leave! Check restaurant.com before you leave to print out coupons.....when can find promo codes to get $25 gift certificates for $2...well worth it. If you decide later than you would like to stay an extra day, it will cost you....we contemplated an extra day at this hotel and found out that an extra night would have been $350 plus taxes and fees. The front desk had never heard of someone getting that hotel for less than $160 per night....but you can't go wrong with a Hilton....we love them. There was a charge of about $5 per day for parking and we were able to use the luggage dollies, unlike another person who reviewed this hotel. There was also a little street noice, but it was minimal....there is no free internet access, but there was a media center...the connection was a bit slow and there were only a couple of computers...so we had to wait a bit....but overall, we had a great experience.

hubbard, ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2009

if your looking for a relaxing enjoyable place on the beach this is not the place.. I have stayed in florida many times. It is overpriced the rooms are small. the food prices are way too much, the service is mediocre. The rooms are small and do not pay extra for harbour view. Ours looked out at the harbour which was about 3 blocks away and faced a side street. We ere on the 9th floor and you couldnt sit on the balcony beacause it was cemented half way up and if you sat all you saw was cement. They cater to conferences and if your a vactioner ypur pretty much not even noticed. The beash and water are nice but it is a hike to get there.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2009

First, let me say the hotel desk staff was superb here. We were able to call ahead and get an upgraded room for free prior to check in time. They were helpful and courteous at both check in and out.

The rooms are small (sardine can small) and badly in need of updating. Our room looked visibly clean but the floors were very dirty. White socks were dirty within minutes. The overall tone was dingy and musty smelling.
Bathrooms were very tiny, only a sliding frosted door (no lock) for privacy. Bathroom drains barely worked, toilet seat did not stay up for use.
A/C units are very loud, though I did not mind because it drowned out other guests and the white noise assisted in my children's sleeping.

Housekeeping first night was done by 11am. Second night, after 5pm.

Restaurant service at the Tiki Bar and Reflections restaurants were poor. The Tiki Bar waitress left us for over an hour and the Reflections waitress did not remember requests for water, meals, etc. The food was very good at Reflections, though.

Beach access is superb, short walk, free towels, though you sign them out. Keep an eye on them. Within 5 minutes of placing them on a chair, someone took them. If you don't return them, you are charged $10/towel. Beach and valet staff, very nice and courteous.

Parking not a problem, right next to playground and Pier 60.

We have stayed at the Sheraton Sand Key and rooms were much nicer, spacious and less expensive. The Sandpearl offers comparable rooms at a much newer, nicer location just a block down the street, too.

2 Thank travelinwithkidz